Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does the modern Stetson/HatCo hat last, feasibly?

I can't find any info that says anything about Stetson "powdering" their hats. It says nothing about powder in this Stetson video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsCa9R9a4o

Where did you get the info that Stetson powders it's hats, JP?

Would you tell a trade secret of how they get the colors to come out even? ;)
It is an old trick that hatters have known for over 100 years. How do you think they got bowlers so black----lampblack. You powder it up, massage it in and you have a super black hat. They now have colors to match a certain desired outcome.
Here is one place that decries the process:
http://www.shortyshattery.com/faq.shtml

Bebop

Practically Family
Would you tell a trade secret of how they get the colors to come out even? ;)
It is an old trick that hatters have known for over 100 years. How do you think they got bowlers so black----lampblack. You powder it up, massage it in and you have a super black hat. They now have colors to match a certain desired outcome.
Here is one place that decries the process:
http://www.shortyshattery.com/faq.shtml

I can understand why a hat maker would tell us that their hats are the best but I don't see anything in the link that says Stetson powders it's hats. I think it would be strange to have to powder a hat in this day and age when there are so many ways to keep black black without powder.

I can understand why a hat maker would tell us that their hats are the best but I don't see anything in the link that says Stetson powders it's hats. I think it would be strange to have to powder a hat in this day and age when there are so many ways to keep black black without powder.

Maybe so but they still do it. They left out the step when they mentioned hat grease. Likely it is in the grease or added with the grease to try to keep it in.
They use it because we see it when we brush new hats. Why they don't use other means probably involves $$$$$.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I can't prove empirically that they powder dye their hats, but that's what Steve Delk of Adventurebilt says was common practice at one time for Stetson. I do know that last year I bought a new Stetson Temple and while handling it with sweaty hands, I was left with brown marks on my hands and the pants I was wearing at the time (for I did not notice the initial messiness with my hands).

I can't prove empirically that they powder dye their hats, but that's what Steve Delk of Adventurebilt says was common practice at one time for Stetson. I do know that last year I bought a new Stetson Temple and while handling it with sweaty hands, I was left with brown marks on my hands and the pants I was wearing at the time (for I did not notice the initial messiness with my hands).

Always brush the hat first when you get a new (factory) one just in case. It is just a good idea and the stuff is tough to get out when you get it on clothes---in my experience. :rolleyes:

Bebop

Practically Family
..... I was left with brown marks on my hands and the pants I was wearing at the time (for I did not notice the initial messiness with my hands).

Maybe the spray paint Stetson uses wasn't dry. :D

I guess I have just been very lucky with my Stetsons.

Wouldn't dying the felt be less expensive and a far easier way to go than sending messy, powdered hats to customers? I would be a bit disappointed if my hats color rubbed off on my hands. I suppose I'd wash the hat and take whatever color it ended up being.

Maybe the spray paint Stetson uses wasn't dry. :D

I guess I have just been very lucky with my Stetsons.

Wouldn't dying the felt be less expensive and a far easier way to go than sending messy, powdered hats to customers? I would be a bit disappointed if my hats color rubbed off on my hands. I suppose I'd wash the hat and take whatever color it ended up being.

If they wanted to use expensive color fast dyes then it wouldn't be cheaper. Dye is expensive nowadays. Powder is in fact, cheaper in the long run if you just jet it on along the production process. [huh]
You have been quite lucky if you haven't experienced this. [huh]

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I can't find any info that says anything about Stetson "powdering" their hats. It says nothing about powder in this Stetson video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsCa9R9a4o

Where did you get the info that Stetson powders it's hats, JP?

Powders have been used since forever Bebop, but it isn't something that would be used in a video. To have to powder a hat would be to say that the dies or finish was inferior and that isn't the best of sales tools. One of the reasons I hate to clean & block is that quite often with Stetsons ( most recently a 1950s "100" ) after the bath the powder comes out & reveals the blotching of the felt it was evening out. It is done in the "luring" process ( where they say they add hatters grease) . I cannot say with authority that it is still being done today because I'm not in the factory and I don't sell modern hats but I would be amazed if it isn't still part of the process.
I have collected powders of the past but have never used them in my hats. I found quickly that if I use quality felts to start with my color problems are almost non existent.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have not thoroughly read every response in the thread yet, but is it really such a bad idea to buy a modern Stetson-made hat (or Dobbs, Resistol, and other HatCo products) that is around the $150 to $170 range? What of the Stetson Open Road 4X (or even Stetson Range) hats, for example? I like Akubra, but there style selection doesn't have everything. From some of the comments here, I gather that the powder effect is strongest in darker colored hats, and lighter hats aren't as affected, is that true?

I'm prepared to accept the fact that a hat I buy may not last five years looking much like it did when I got it out of the box/store, but I consider the practicality of durable, longer lasting hats as well.

Last edited:

Bebop

Practically Family
I have not thoroughly read every response in the thread yet, but is it really such a bad idea to buy a modern Stetson-made hat (or Dobbs, Resistol, and other HatCo products) that is around the $150 to $170 range? What of the Stetson Open Road 4X hats, for example? I like Akubra, but there style selection doesn't have everything. From some of the comments here, I gather that the powder effect is strongest in darker colored hats, and lighter hats aren't as affected, is that true?

I'm prepared to accept the fact that a hat I buy may not last five years looking much like it did when I got it out of the box/store, but I consider the practicality of durable, longer lasting hats as well.

Buy what you like. It is not a guarantee that you will end up with some kind of powder. I have several (5-6) newer Stetsons in that price range and I have no idea what this powder thing is all about. I have never had a newer Stetson with any kind of powder or with colors that run when wet. No matter what color the hat may be. Just be aware that many people have had problems. Be sure you can return a hat with which you are not satisfied.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...after the bath the powder comes out & reveals the blotching of the felt it was evening out...

This is exactly how I would describe what's happened to my hat in small spots. It's a "blotchy" look. Subtle in some places, and bright in others. I believe my Stetson was originally somewhere around $150-180 at the time, so this wouldn't come as a surprise (re: quality of felt - most likely rabbit, most likely mix of domestic + wild).

Undertow

Buy what you like. It is not a guarantee that you will end up with some kind of powder. I have several (5-6) newer Stetsons in that price range and I have no idea what this powder thing is all about. I have never had a newer Stetson with any kind of powder or with colors that run when wet. No matter what color the hat may be. Just be aware that many people have had problems. Be sure you can return a hat with which you are not satisfied.

Quite right; should you experience dissatisfaction, bring it to the attention of the hat dealer. Depending on their repudability, and want of customers, they should at least offer you advice.

And to the contrary, I believe my Stetson looks BETTER than it did originally. It certainly feels better after 4 years of wear. I'm quite fond of the hat now and it's taken on a little personality. Don't shy away from a modern Stetsons just yet. Shop around, see what you find in your price range and brush them at the store (if they'll let you). I have a number of Stetson that have NO color problems. But I don't wear them all as much as I wear my workhorse, so...[huh]

I have not thoroughly read every response in the thread yet, but is it really such a bad idea to buy a modern Stetson-made hat (or Dobbs, Resistol, and other HatCo products) that is around the $150 to $170 range? What of the Stetson Open Road 4X (or even Stetson Range) hats, for example? I like Akubra, but there style selection doesn't have everything. From some of the comments here, I gather that the powder effect is strongest in darker colored hats, and lighter hats aren't as affected, is that true?

It just depends really. I have seen some dark color horror stories but the 100 mentioned earlier is a light colored hat. Any body that has uneven color could have powder used on it. Years ago, I think Stetson even supplied matching powder for their hats---all colors.
What hat you want, how much you pay and how long you want it to last is entirely up to the customer. As long as you walk in with your eyes open you will be that much better informed to make a good choice.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I have a Stetson Saxon in Caribou from back when they were using synthetic sweatbands. It is marked "Genuine Fur Felt" on the sweatband and the price was $56.50.

When I got it I thought it was dirty so I gave it a good dry brushing for starters. I got a lot of "dust" off the hat but ended up with a hat in many different shades of gray. When I removed the ribbon I was able to see the original color but when I rubbed that area with slightly damp fingers I got gray fingertips. I removed the liner and was able to determine that the hat is indeed fur felt since the inside of the crown is completely unfinished. That hat is definately from a bad time in Stetson's history. It now resides on the project pile.

I would suppose that Stetson still uses powder on their lower-quality hats. The need to use powder may be what makes them lower-quality hats. When you blend fur from different animals it is possible the dyes would not act consistently. The most productive solution may be to sort after dying.

1961MJS

Hi Y'all

If I get the chance to go by the Saint Joseph outlet, I promise to take baby wipes with me so I can lick a finger on each hat I touch and see if it comes back in a new color.

That's just SO WRONG. :(

Later

I have an idea for Stetson: make a high quality wool hat instead of a felt hat with powder that covers up the bad quality.

Better yet, if the way you have been making hats for the last 30 years isn't working then change it. I am sure they suffer from "That's the way we have been doing it for as long as I can remember" Syndrome.
They could make high quality hats at a decent price if they tried. They wouldn't have to use powders if they did. Powders hide low quality bodies and inferior dyeing processes.
Fix the dyeing process and you can likely get rid of the powders. I am sure they will say that the hats will cost twice as much then. Great. So you pay $150 for a hat that will fade and the color will run. Wheee!:rolleyes:

1961MJS

That stuff is hard to get off your skin. I wouldn't lick your finger or you might end up mad as a hatter. ;):p

What, they're still using Mercury? That's odd, but of course now we're using it in light bulbs because it's more green...

What is that stuff in the powder anyway? It almost certainly isn't Mercury anymore. Bwahahahahahahha.

Later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld