Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does the modern Stetson/HatCo hat last, feasibly?

I have a Stetson Sovereign that is about ten years old that i wear now and again although it was my go to hat on and off. The felt is much softer as the stiffener has gone out of it. The felt is pretty thick , I think it should last quite a while, However on the side near the Temple areas by the base of the ribbon there is an area that has turn from the gray color to a slight pinkish hue. I think it's from the action of my sweat. Other than that it's in great shape.

DougC

Practically Family
Thought I'd jump in here...I was in a store the other day when an older gent came in and asked for a gray Stetson fedora to replace his 15 year old Stetson Fedora that he had cleaned and blocked 3 times in 15 years at the same shop. He seemed to be happy with the longevity he got from his hat and wanted the same brand, color, size and whatnot. He also said he wore the hat every day when he was working on his ranch. So, is a Stetson durable--yeah. Do they use powder to color the hat? Who cares...powder doesn't affect durability, does it? I believe a hat should be worn---rain or shine; it should be comfortable; and it should look like it has had a life. If that means the color is not the uniform on an old hat, all the better. Color-fastness is a limited measure of durability. Now, back to your argument...

I have Adam made hats from the 1950s that shed powder. I remember one getting a pretty heavy dose of rain and it did just fine.

Now there is the difference. It could take rain without the color running even though it had been powdered.
Let's face it, the Adam was the cheapest hat you could buy int he 1950s---so was Champ. Yet they managed to put out a decent product even if they used powder to even out the color. It didn't fall apart, the color didn't run in the rain and it likely didn't shrink up after being rained on. Decent quality for a bottom of the line hat then. [huh]

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...So, is a Stetson durable--yeah. Do they use powder to color the hat? Who cares...powder doesn't affect durability, does it? I believe a hat should be worn---rain or shine; it should be comfortable; and it should look like it has had a life. If that means the color is not the uniform on an old hat, all the better. Color-fastness is a limited measure of durability. Now, back to your argument...

Fortunately, that is your opinion on the matter, and I commend you for your leniency.

On the other hand, I would very much be interested in knowing if the hat I'm about to throw $180+ on is going to shed powder all over my nice white shirt, stain my one-of-a-kind vintage suit, sully my Irish linen handkerchief and make me look like a complete fool in a rain storm, like someone with makeup running down their face. :eek:

Regarding durability, colorfastness is very much a part of an article's durability. Common sense says if you had the choice between two black shirts, you'd pick the one that would remain black after 5 washings - not the one that turned pink after the first. This is chalked up to the durability of the article, or a variable thereof.

Durability should include many factors, including colorfastness. Sure, if the hat disintegrates after your first rain storm, it ain't too durable. Yet, if its colors run, or if the sweat cracks, or if the liner melts, or if the thing starts on fire - it ain't too durable either. Those variables may not keep you from wearing the hat, but you must agree that should these things happen, you would question the durability of the product, no?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the other hand, I would very much be interested in knowing if the hat I'm about to throw $180+ on is going to shed powder all over my nice white shirt, stain my one-of-a-kind vintage suit, sully my Irish linen handkerchief and make me look like a complete fool in a rain storm, like someone with makeup running down their face. :eek:

I'm with you. The only powder I stand for is on my wigs.

DougC

Practically Family
Undertow--Three is my Stetsons are silver belly, one is olive colored and one is dark brown. All have been worn in the rain (all completely soaked) and only one has lost its uniform color --the Gun Club is an olive colored hat--it has a couple of pink spots from the hard water we have down here. I don't wear black hats (or shirts) --its too hot.

But, I get your point. One silver belly is 20 years old and two are almost a year old. The brown one is also less than a year old and only gets worn in the rain during the winter (I bought it and a rain coat instead of an umbrella during a rain storm last winter). The Gun Club gets worn hunting and sometimes in the yard--its 13 years old. Granted the brown fedora is the only one I would notice powder on if the powder ran, AND there is no running of color. My suits and shirts are not ruined. I might be lucky, but, if a measure of durability includes colorfastness, Stetsons appear to be durable here in San Antonio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld