Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey Ya'll, Please allow me to introduce myself...

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Had enough hurricanes Colonel?
I've sure had enough of them, but I suspect Florida had best get used to them for a while. I suspect things will return to the late 1950's and 1960's when they were a regular occurance. My father worked for the National Hurricane Center and that was always a time when he would be gone for long stretches at a time (he also flew with the Hurricane Hunters until my Mom convinced him that wasn't a good idea once I came along).

If you draw lines where the 3 hurricanes crossed Central Florida in 2004, the place where the 3 lines come close to intersecting is where I live. By the way, those hurricanes led to me getting my screen name. Getting the "Colonel" title was based on some stuff I did after they went through here. In a nutshell, all I did was continue to do what I had committed to do even though I had a good excuse not to. Almost kind of sad that just keeping your word and doing your job now gets special recognition.

Good day and God Bless.

Marty M.

Vendor
I might as well jump in also.

Hello Loungers,
I've been checking out your site the last two weeks. I joined the other day after reading a lot of your post's. I'm really impressed with the overall knowledge and attention to detail that you Lounger's possess. To be more honest with you, I'm actually shell shocked. You see, I've been in the men's clothing industry about 28 years. And I've had my own store now for 12 years. You people know more about fine apparel, and have more style then 90 percent of my retail counterparts.
It sadden's me to see so many Men's Specialty Stores dry up and close. They've all been replaced by the big box retail syndrome. Most retailers are followers not leaders. They let designers rule their inventories. They're afraid to take chances, and have their own store identites. Besides where would they be with out their co-op advertising dollars?
So my hat's (Fedora) off to you Lounger's for keeping Style not fashion in vogue. May your pocket square always display a little zest of life.
Thanks,
Marty M.

P.S.
I have pictures of classic outfits that we've made if anybody is interested?

Mycroft

One Too Many
Welcome you all to the lounge, :cheers1: -here's one on me.

Colonel said:
I'll add my "welcome" as well as making a quick introduction myself.

I am not a big hat wearer, nor do I own vintage clothing. Why am I here? Because I've found a place where people take the words "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" seriously, and that is really refreshing. The concepts of chivalry and noblesse oblige and just plain old good manners have almost disappeared from our culture, and I search for ways to try and bring them back.

My screen name of "Colonel" comes from receiving a commission as a Kentucky Colonel in September 2004 http://sos.ky.gov/executive/kentuckycolonels.htm.

I am a Bible-Believing Christian, and that is the single dominating factor in my life. Other lesser things are a keen interest in my Southern heritage (the real stuff, not the "redneck hillbilly" stuff). I used to be active in Sons of Confederate Veterans and Military Order of the Stars and Bars.

I own a software business that I founded a bit over 10 years ago, which allows me to work from home. Having one's own business and working from home has got to be one of life's great pleasures.

OK, hats and other stuff: I have a Stetson Temple and a wool felt fishing hat in that same style. I also have a well-worn A-2 jacket. The A-2 now spends most of the time hanging in the closet while I wear an "Indy style" jacket. I just didn't like the knitted waist and cuffs of an A-2. I don't wear a hat much at all unless it's cold and wet (not much of that here in Florida), or when I'm working out in the garden in the sun (where I wear a pith helmet). Nearly all of my clothing tends to have a 1930's look to them though - just not "vintage". So, from a "dress the part" standpoint, I really don't fit in very well here. I trust that I won't be kicked out for that.

Good day and God Bless.

Where in Florida are ya? Where do you get your hats in the Sunshine(or Gunshine) State?

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Mycroft said:
Welcome you all to the lounge, :cheers1: -here's one on me.

Where in Florida are ya? Where do you get your hats in the Sunshine(or Gunshine) State?
I'm in Volusia County (West side - haven't been to the beach in years). Actually, I'm not much of a hat wearer in the way that most folks on this forum are. I've got a fedora that I ordered off the internet, and another older one that I also mail-ordered; those are pretty much just cold wet weather wear (and not a lot of that here). Most of the hat wearing I do is a surplus pith helmet when I'm working out in the garden. Those are great for keeping the sun and rain off, and protection from branches when on the riding mower and going under trees. I'm looking around for a nice straw hat though. Just haven't found one I like yet.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Colonel said:
I'm in Volusia County (West side - haven't been to the beach in years). Actually, I'm not much of a hat wearer in the way that most folks on this forum are. I've got a fedora that I ordered off the internet, and another older one that I also mail-ordered; those are pretty much just cold wet weather wear (and not a lot of that here). Most of the hat wearing I do is a surplus pith helmet when I'm working out in the garden. Those are great for keeping the sun and rain off, and protection from branches when on the riding mower and going under trees. I'm looking around for a nice straw hat though. Just haven't found one I like yet.

Fedoras do become hot down here unfoortinatly, but I wear them anyway, you just get used to them if you get a lighter one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally