Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nashoba said:
lol yep. I'm not even sure that hubby knows which lock he put on it anymore. He would probably have to look up the combination

If I can open it, can I have whatever's in there?

carebear

Nashoba said:
lol that's a tempting offer :) but I think my husband might object. It's a Khar 9 mil semi-automatic if I remember correctly. and an extra magazine.

I had one of those for a while (it's in the pic I posted). I had it as a training / loaner gun but ended up trading it in.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Not your "typical" firearm.

I bought this on Sunday.

dscn1032mod.jpg

While researching it, I've found; "Mid to late 1800s", "W.W.I" or "1930s."

At least it'll scare them away while I "signal" for help. :D
And best of all . . . no waiting period.

Lee

Also posted in another thread.

carebear

MrNewportCustom said:
I bought this on Sunday.

dscn1032mod.jpg

While researching it, I've found; "Mid to late 1800s", "W.W.I" or "1930s."

At least it'll scare them away while I "signal" for help. :D
And best of all . . . no waiting period.

Lee

It does have a certain... flair. :D

Phil

A-List Customer
Ah yes, waiting periods. In the words of Homer Simpson

GUN STORE GUY: 'There's a five day waiting period on the handgun.'

HOMER: 'Five days?' But I'm angry NOW!!!'

GUN STORE GUY: 'Yeah, well, that's the law.'

HOMER (grumpy): 'I'd kill you if I had my gun...'

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I had a couple of occasions where I thought I might need to draw on someone, and was prepared to do so, but the situations ended up not being what I thought they might be.

I know my grandfather has. He had a .25 Colt auto that he carried in his pocket everywhere. I have that gun now. He told me once "now, don't tell your grandmother, but one day....".

I know one other day he and my grandmother were going out to eat with a couple of their friends. He picked up his pistol and was about to stick it in his pocket and my grandmother told him "oh, you don't need that, we're just going out to eat and we'll be right back", so he set it down. That evening as they were coming out of the restaurant, a mugger came up and stole both the ladies' purses, with my grandfather reaching into his pocket feeling around for the pistol that wasn't there! When the police arrived, he told them that usually he carried a gun in his pocket and if he had had it, he would have shot the guy. The policeman looked at him and said "I kind of wish you did have, we've been trying to catch this guy for weeks!".

Nashoba

One Too Many
carebear said:
I had one of those for a while (it's in the pic I posted). I had it as a training / loaner gun but ended up trading it in.

I had my choice between the 9 and a Glock 40 but I'm a small gal and my tiny hands didn't fit very well around the pistol grip of the glock. At the time I needed to know how to drop the magazine with one hand and seeing as how my hand couldn't reach the release on the glock I naturally went for the 9. It's a nice gun, good weight none of that plastic crap.

Twitch

Hey HoosierDaddy your stories are on target, as it were. 1st I wonder why people going out in the sticks don't take their firearms. Do they not realize they are farther from law enforcement assistance than when they are home? In fact there is probably no way to contact law enforcement in many deep-woods, outback situations.:rolleyes:

2nd story is a rare example these days as charges of some sort would be filed against the shooter in most locales these days unfortunately. And most certainly the kin of the dead armed robber would sue putting the good samaritin in legal woes for years.

In any case both scenarios are fuel for "officals" always telling people to comply and do what the bad guys say. The obtuse theory here is that they will use your firearms against you if you resist. Sad stuff.:rage: And as FatDutchman's story illustrates, the outlook of law enforcement personnel was once one of common sense towards armed citizens instead of today's "act like a victim" mentality.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
There were two instances in the past when I heard noises during the night that sounded like someone was breaking into my house. Each time I investigated with my Ruger .357. Once, a Cairn terrier was scratching my rear storm door and the other was also nothing of note.
However, there was an instance a day after I had a new driveway installed and one of the scum talked about what a nice motorcycle I had in my garage. Sometime that night, about 4:30 AM actually, someone was pushing in the top row of my garage door trying to get it to go up. The alarm sounded in the house but the exterior alarm was rusted so no sound emitted. To my amazement, when the garage door didn't rise he walked up my front steps and opened the storm door to enter my house !! The interior door was locked and since I had recently sold my handguns, the only thing I stood there holding wouldn't be effective in a fight. Luckily, I flipped on the front lights and he took off in a hurry. I thought of opening the door but the last thing I wanted was this jerk in my house. I would have felt better if I still had a side arm. Much better.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Tommy Fedora, my neighbor across the street had remodeling/construction/landscaping guys out ALL the time, we couldn't keep track of them all.

Turns out one set was there for months after she thought they were done, using a copy of her key, using her bathroom and stuff while she was at work, picking up little things around the house.

We only found that out by accident, when we asked her conversationally "so what are [those guys] doing now?" She went white, flew back in the house, and a locksmith was there in less than an hour.

-Viola

Viola said:
Tommy Fedora, my neighbor across the street had remodeling/construction/landscaping guys out ALL the time, we couldn't keep track of them all.

Turns out one set was there for months after she thought they were done, using a copy of her key, using her bathroom and stuff while she was at work, picking up little things around the house.

We only found that out by accident, when we asked her conversationally "so what are [those guys] doing now?" She went white, flew back in the house, and a locksmith was there in less than an hour.

-Viola

Holy Crimony! I would have went white too. I have a monitored alarm system though and they would not likely get too far with me. :rage:
Nice signature line by the way. I dunno if I would waste beer on my horses though. ;)

Regards,

J

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Holy Crimony! I would have went white too. I have a monitored alarm system though and they would not likely get too far with me. :rage:
Nice signature line by the way. I dunno if I would waste beer on my horses though. ;)

Regards,

J

Well, they never bothered us...they saw our dogs every day and probably decided not to push it.

Hey, that's a good song, nonsense lyrics or not! Willie's on it!:p

-Viola

Twitch said:
Hey HoosierDaddy your stories are on target, as it were. 1st I wonder why people going out in the sticks don't take their firearms. Do they not realize they are farther from law enforcement assistance than when they are home? In fact there is probably no way to contact law enforcement in many deep-woods, outback situations.:rolleyes:

2nd story is a rare example these days as charges of some sort would be filed against the shooter in most locales these days unfortunately. And most certainly the kin of the dead armed robber would sue putting the good samaritin in legal woes for years.

In any case both scenarios are fuel for "officals" always telling people to comply and do what the bad guys say. The obtuse theory here is that they will use your firearms against you if you resist. Sad stuff.:rage: And as FatDutchman's story illustrates, the outlook of law enforcement personnel was once one of common sense towards armed citizens instead of today's "act like a victim" mentality.

Hi Twitch
I agree with your thoughts...and the point of being out in the boondocks..away from quicker "Protect & Serve" help. However..IMHO....police assistance is usually an "after the fact" situation,anyway. Not always...but I would venture to say..much of the time...even in populated areas. Many seem to rely on the fact that the calvary will arrive and save the day....rather than only get there to clean up the mess..console victims...protect evidence..and then pursue the long gone criminal. Confidence and protection is most always really more personal...at the moment....and what one has prepared well for. In order to always protect oneself..or loved ones...a person must be able to match..or gain the upperhand. The bad guy rarely intends to be fair. He know's that having the advantage is key to his boldness and triumph.
The couple of incidences of serious threat that I listed,may be rare....but it may only take just "one" of these circumstances to be fatal or wreck lives. A "helpless" victim must either rely on mercy....the calvery....or great luck..to survive. More than for myself..I never want to be put in the position of "helpless" then face trying to,somehow,protect my dear ones.
HD

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I've never gone out into the woods without a gun of some kind. Who knows what kind of critter you might run up on (with two legs, four legs, or no legs!). We have our fair share of poisonous snakes. Timber rattlers, copperheads, and if you're around the water, water moccasins (cottonmouths).

Besides, usually when I'm in the woods, I'm going with the intention of ending the life of some poor defenseless forest creature in order to secure my supper! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe