Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand gun ownership in the U.S.

How many HAND guns do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to 5.

• 6 to 10.

• 11 to 25.

• 26 to 50, or more.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
Diamondback said:
Considering that I live outside Seattle in the Meth Lab Capital of the USA and am a magnet for folks with violent problem exes...

That's a "high-alert" threat loadout anyway, normal'd be the pair of .45s and maybe a small revolver or .32/.380 pocket-pistol like the old Colt Model M.
If I had to consider that much hardware I'd move to an overcrowded city for safety. :)

Nashoba

One Too Many
in the house we have a 9 mil that I received as a gift when I turned 21 but 5 years ago my husband locked it in the gun case and it hasn't been opened since (long story but that's where it ended up and that's where it's stayed)
My husband has an M16 and a 9mil that pretty much don't leave his sight

Tango Yankee said:
You know, "self defense" is often a primary reason people give for owning a handgun (or two, or three... I gather that for some buying guns is like buying hats is for me!:D ). So, I was wondering...

Has anyone here drawn their weapon in self defense? Not counting any police officers or military members who may have done so in the line of duty, that is.

If not, has anyone here been in a situation where they thought that they might have to?

Just curious.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom
Yes. My wife and I were camping along the river with our,then,two young daughters. Three hunters,armed with shotguns,walked up to our campfire from out of the woods. Quite drunk they "took over"...swearing..kicking stuff around...and just totally being abnoxious. Of course my daughters were quite afraid...as well as my wife. I mildly objected a couple of times..but was immediately rebuked by slurred obscenities. Finally they mentioned leaving. Then one boldly stated.."Put a gun on him,Jim!" "I'm gonna get a little bit of that blond before we take off!" I casually slid the .45 from under the blanket..and layed it in my lap gripped with my right hand. They clearly saw the handgun. I said "Now the fun's over." They immediately started explaining that they were only kidding. I informed them that I was not. Then they begged to leave. I told them to leave their shotguns...and go..NOW!...and that they could pick them up at the local sheriff's office. They left in a hurry. Next day I took the shotguns to the sheriff's...and told them the story. Cops said that they might be able to find the idiots. As far as I know..the hunters never picked up the shotguns. Never heard another word about it.
I have a couple more similar stories from over the years. Luckily,however, I've never had to actually use a handgun in self defense in civi life.
However..a close friend of mine did. His wife worked at a convenience store. By chance,my buddy had stopped in the store late at night as she worked...and went to the restroom. As he walked out from across the store..he saw his frightened wife's face as a man was standing in front of the counter. My buddy said his wife's name...and the guy turned with a gun in his hand. My friend shot him dead. The stranger was robbing the store. No charges filed. It does bother my friend to this day...tho,he does feel justified with his actions.
HD

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
My Uncle had a shoe repair near Mills College in Oakland in the late '60's early 70's. He was robbed a couple times and didn't buy a gun.

That was a hell of story Hoosier. It is always is good to have a couple sidearms when out in the woods.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
It is always is good to have a couple sidearms when out in the woods.
I wouldn't go very far afield camping or hiking without being heavily armed. Especially in the more remote areas like The Appalachian Trail for instance.
We like to think this is a civilized country, and it is for the most part, but there are some crazy people living out there.

Camped out in nowhereland for certain...and evidentally in a convenience store. After that event happened..his wife told him that she was so fear stricken that she just could not get the money drawer open. The robber threatened to shoot her..and she tried again..to no avail. He then gripped the gun..pointed it at her...and said..."you're a worthless whore"...just as her husband called out her name....
HD

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A couple years ago I went walking alone in Death Valley. I was unarmed and after about 30 minutes I thought; "you nut, you could get killed and thrown out here and no one would know you were here".:eek:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
A couple years ago I went walking alone in Death Valley. I was unarmed and after about 30 minutes I thought; "you nut, you could get killed and thrown out here and no one would know you were here".:eek:
A God -forsaken waste land like that is perfect territory for a nut!
(You can take that either way,...:) )

HoosierDaddy said:
Hi Tom
Yes. My wife and I were camping along the river with our,then,two young daughters. Three hunters,armed with shotguns,walked up to our campfire from out of the woods. Quite drunk they "took over"...swearing..kicking stuff around...and just totally being abnoxious. Of course my daughters were quite afraid...as well as my wife. I mildly objected a couple of times..but was immediately rebuked by slurred obscenities. Finally they mentioned leaving. Then one boldly stated.."Put a gun on him,Jim!" "I'm gonna get a little bit of that blond before we take off!" I casually slid the .45 from under the blanket..and layed it in my lap gripped with my right hand. They clearly saw the handgun. I said "Now the fun's over." They immediately started explaining that they were only kidding. I informed them that I was not. Then they begged to leave. I told them to leave their shotguns...and go..NOW!...and that they could pick them up at the local sheriff's office. They left in a hurry. Next day I took the shotguns to the sheriff's...and told them the story. Cops said that they might be able to find the idiots. As far as I know..the hunters never picked up the shotguns. Never heard another word about it.
HD
When ever we have gone either camping or just out shooting in the high desert I always prefer to be armed for this type of interaction. People who normally would not consider such ill conceived shanagans find themselves tempted to be ruffians in the back country. It reminds me of the film "Deliverence" in many ways. My friend Mike was my mentor on these outings said, "Never shoot youself out of ammo out here, always carry a functioning gun that is loaded. Since we're off the roads and ways from the highway you never know what crazy ideas the people you may meet might have."

Since that first trip, I have made it my habit to have a loaded sidearm on my person when out there or when camping.

HoosierDaddy said:
However..a close friend of mine did. His wife worked at a convenience store. By chance,my buddy had stopped in the store late at night as she worked...and went to the restroom. As he walked out from across the store..he saw his frightened wife's face as a man was standing in front of the counter. My buddy said his wife's name...and the guy turned with a gun in his hand. My friend shot him dead. The stranger was robbing the store. No charges filed. It does bother my friend to this day...tho,he does feel justified with his actions. HD
This is a lesson in many ways. The decision, as right as it was, continues to weigh heavy on your friends mind like many because people value life so much.
Even when judged as righteous it can haunt a man or woman to take a life because it is so against our nature. The true stone cold killers are few and far between.

BUT the decision not to be a hostage or a victim and not allow harm to come to loved ones in such a situation is both righteous and in some ways a moral obligation not to allow the criminal to continue on to other victims and probably escalate the violence level in future attempts.

Also, in a way one must have made the decision to defend prior to any event so that their actions and judgement is not clouded so much by doubt to make for in-action when it is needed and necesary.

Marty M.

Vendor
And the leader is...

ohairas said:
LOL... we got that too, among other things... spears, throwing axes, ect.
I hope that if anyone does dare break in they'll see some of those hanging on the wall and think WE'RE wack and get the hell out!

Nikki

Ok Nikki, you're working your way up the leader board as one of my hero's. :eusa_clap
Marty Mathis

Phil

A-List Customer
I wish I could carry a gun camping. It's make me feel better overal because of the stories I've heard. However, since concealed carry is illegal in IL I've become proficcient with throwing knives. I'm not deadly accurate, but I can get it deep in say, a back or belly. So, since I can't carry a gun, I have some throwing knives. That, and the axes I bring for chopping wood. But those don't really require I throw them...unless I want to feel cool.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Hi Tom
I have a couple more similar stories from over the years. Luckily,however, I've never had to actually use a handgun in self defense in civi life.
However..a close friend of mine did. His wife worked at a convenience store. By chance,my buddy had stopped in the store late at night as she worked...and went to the restroom. As he walked out from across the store..he saw his frightened wife's face as a man was standing in front of the counter. My buddy said his wife's name...and the guy turned with a gun in his hand. My friend shot him dead. The stranger was robbing the store. No charges filed. It does bother my friend to this day...tho,he does feel justified with his actions.
HD

About 20 years ago a friend leased some land in South Carolina to deer hunt on. There was a big field, probably about seven or eight acres before it turned into woods. We took his camper and set it up at the back of the field a few days before deer season began. We decided we’d spend the night there and look for some places for him to hunt the next morning. After dark we lit two Coleman gas lanterns and were sitting outside talking, when somebody in a car drove through the gate and started going around in circles in the field. They got within probably fifty yards from us a few times and started yelling when they went by. They drove back towards the gate, stopped the car and turned the lights off. After a few minutes I told my friend to turn the lanterns off because they could see us but we couldn’t see them. After we turned the lanterns off I moved my chair to the end of the camper and he moved his to the other end. I had my Ruger 41 magnum with me and he had his Colt 45. In less than a minute we heard somebody running. At first I thought they were running towards us but, they were going towards the car instead. After they got back in the car they turned and pointed the headlights toward us for a few seconds and then drove out the gate. We waited a few minutes to make sure they weren’t coming back and then we locked the gate. I don’t know what they were going to do or how close they got to us but from the sound of them running I could tell that they were pretty close. It could have been some kids just trying to scare us and not being able to see anybody made it seem worse.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
About 20 years ago a friend leased some land in South Carolina to deer hunt on...

J.S. -- that is some story. Scary. I wish my wife allowed me to keep a gun with us, but I can't convince her, despite stories like this. So, I do keep a bow and arrow on camping trips -- at least it's something. Out here, as camping areas get more crowded, I'm hearing more and more stories about people getting into camping-related scuffles, fighting over sites and noise. Some guy got shot last year in a similar incident.

Steve

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've never pulled a gun in self defense, I've never had one readily available when I needed it. The last time my husband deployed though I ended up having to call the police and then a close friend (also a Marine) to come over and stay in the house for the night. It was pretty late at night and I couldn't sleep and was flipping channels when my 80lb chesapeke lab / rodesian ridgeback / pit (yeah okay he's a mutt) suddenly jumped up and stood very very still. He started this really low growl and I heard something in the backyard and then saw a shadow down below and something scrape against the cement outside. Maverick then completely went balistic bolted downstairs barking and growling and went tearing through his dog door. It was then that I called 911 and I heard someone hit the pavement running. I don't know how they made it over the fence without my dog killing them but they did. I've never been so grateful for my dog, he probably saved me from who knows what. I even let him sleep on the bed after that. It took my husband months to convince him that he had his own bed once he came home :)
After reading through some of the experiences I've decided that reading this particular thread late at night is not a terribly good idea. It kind of falls in the realm of ghost stories before going to bed. It's a good thing Maverick is on guard. And currently asleep ON the bed lol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never pulled a gun in self defense, I've never had one readily available when I needed it.

This is where the delicate balance between safe storage (when the gun is out of your immediate control) and easy accessibility comes in. It's easier on those of us without kids.

Nashoba

One Too Many
carebear said:
This is where the delicate balance between safe storage (when the gun is out of your immediate control) and easy accessibility comes in. It's easier on those of us without kids.

I agree, although I don't have children (unless you count the dog). I just don't have the combination to the lock that's on the gunsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe