Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
green papaya said:
clippers_asian_edit.gif

I like my hair full on top and really clean around the ears and neck

this guys hair cut looks like a good example of the style I like

What is that called? A skin Fade?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Skin Fade?

bruce wayne said:

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I'm no expert by any means, far from it, but I have never heard of that term before :confused:

Why dont you just take this pictures to your barber ( who hopefully knows what he is doing) if you want this haircut, and be done with it? [huh]

Actor Gilbert Roland late 20s
3299704.jpg

Actor John Gilbert late 20s
3299326.jpg

Carlisle Blues

bruce wayne said:

Thanx!!!
Charlie

This may help...;)

A "Fade" or "Faded" Hair Cut is one that is very short on the bottom and progressively gets longer towards the top of the head.

buzz131.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-BxOO1dYL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-BxOO1dYL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Carlisle Blues

Mr. 'H' said:
It's called "whitewalls" after car tires that have white walls:

I think the difference is with a fade there is a gradual grade toward a clean look and with a whitewall there is a drastic differentiation between the the shaves area and the area where there is longer hair.

Regulation
"Regulation" is a generic term that refers to short, military style haircuts, often featuring "whitewalls" (more on that term below). The military isn't entirely specific about how hair should be styled, so there are many different cuts that can technically qualify as adhering to regulations. For example, Marine Corps regulations state that the hair on the top of the head should not be longer than 3 inches, and that the hair from the neck hairline should begin at zero length and be graduated toward the upper portion of the head. As for sideburns, they must not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear, must not be styled to taper or flare, and should not have extended hair length of more than 1/8 inch. Those regulations leave room for interpretation, and include many standard short cuts, including burr, butch, crew cut, etc. However, those styles are not what is typically referred to when someone uses the term "regulation cut." The styles more commonly known as "regulation," are short cuts on the top (can be worn parted, brushed upward, crew-cut-style-taper, etc.), with the back and sides clipped very close (or shaved) and tapered so that scalp is plainly visible. This area of scalp is referred to as "whitewalls," and the height of the whitewalls determines whether a cut may be called "low regulation" (short whitewalls), "high regulation" (tall whitewalls), or "medium regulation" (somewhere in the middle). The illustration below shows a few variants of the regulation cut.

regulationcuts.gif

Whitewalls
Areas where the back and sides are clipped very close (or shaved) so that scalp is plainly visible. This area of scalp is referred to as "whitewalls."

whitewalls.gif

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
I think the difference is with a fade there is a gradual grade toward a clean look and with a whitewall there is a drastic differentiation between the the shaves area and the area where there is longer hair.

To clarify CB: no, there is no "either/or" scenario with a fade vs. whitewalls.

Specifically, white walls refer to the fact that you can see the skin hence the term white walls. Whitewalls does not refer to whether or not the top is faded in or whether there is a "drastic differentiation".

Regarding the different "reg" cuts, you will of course be aware that in addition to being whitewalls on the bottom part, many are well "faded" in. This is especially evident in the less extreme low n' tite. Therefore, this would be both a fade, and with whitewalls on the bottom.

Case in point, here I have whitewalls, with a fade:

IMG_1691.jpg

Now if we're taking about a "horseshoe" then that definitely is an extreme style. :p

Carlisle Blues

Mr. 'H' said:
To clarify CB: no, there is no "either/or" scenario with a fade vs. whitewalls.

Specifically, white walls refer to the fact that you can see the skin hence the term white walls. Whitewalls does not refer to whether or not the top is faded in or whether there is a "drastic differentiation".

Regarding the different "reg" cuts, you will of course be aware that in addition to being whitewalls on the bottom part, many are well "faded" in. This is especially evident in the less extreme low n' tite. Therefore, this would be both a fade, and with whitewalls on the bottom.

Case in point, here I have whitewalls, with a fade:

IMG_1691.jpg

Now if we're taking about a "horseshoe" then that definitely is an extreme style. :p

Perhaps you can combine a "fade" with a "whitewall", however, my understanding is there is an inherent difference between the two. In fact, when I ask for a "fade" at the air force base where I sometimes get a cut they say we do not do fades on a military base we do whitewalls.

In the civilian world there may be no difference...[huh] Or more pointedly in your area there may be no difference. I naturally defer to the haircut "experts" to name their styles as they choose. As long as I get the cut I desire. That is what counts. :)

Carlisle Blues

BinkieBaumont said:
"That White wall thing is purely an American invention, I have never seen it except when a US Navy Ship calls in at the Swan river Colony for R & R, it just looks like a $5.00 Hair cut"

It is a drastic method to keep everyone "uniform" and looking alike....easy maintenance though.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
CB - In your earlier post above you show a modern picture of a "fade". Even though it's a fade it incorporates whitewalls on the side. You don't go to a (military) barber and ask for a "whitewall", you ask for a hi-reg, low-reg etc. The style is the "-reg" not the whitewall. The whitewall is not a style unto itself, but rather a feature of both mil and civ hairstyles.

Therefore the term "fade" and "whitewalls" are not mutually exclusive.

For example: look earlier in this thread, there is a 1920s actor with whitewalls. Yes, he has whitewalls.

I think the confusion you refer to is that "fade" is now a style unto itself, whereas it really refers to the blending of the hair from one lenght to another.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
"That White wall thing is purely an American invention, I have never seen it except when a US Navy Ship calls in at the Swan river Colony for R & R, it just looks like a $5.00 Hair cut"

Really? So how do you explain the picture of the Nazi officer with whitewalls? The term is am apt nickname, the style has been around for 100 years.

Oh, and just to clarify: doing whitewalls correctly requires a great deal of skill and restraint to get a good blend (dare I say "fade" lol).

*awaits with bated breath to see which oversized font and abrasive font color and italics will be used for the reply....
:p

Carlisle Blues

Mr. H I am not "confused", but, thank you for your "assistance". I defer to the experts. Of course if you are one of them I naturally defer to you...:)

The term "whitewall" comes from the extremely white skin which is exposed after the haircut, reminding one of the white sides of a whitewall tire. The term "fade" originated in ethnic shops and has now become the popular term for an aggressively tight taper. Hair at the sides and back is cut as close as possible with clippers and "fades" or tapers up into almost any length on top. In some cases this haircut is mistakenly called a "military reg," which is misleading because each branch of the service has different regulations regarding hair length.

whitewall.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
fade.jpg

How exactly did you get that cut? What instruments were used? I like your cut it looks great on you.:)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
Mr. H I am not "confused", but, thank you for your "assistance". I defer to the experts. Of course if you are one of them I naturally defer to you...:)

The term "whitewall" comes from the extremely white skin which is exposed after the haircut, reminding one of the white sides of a whitewall tire. The term "fade" originated in ethnic shops and has now become the popular term for an aggressively tight taper. Hair at the sides and back is cut as close as possible with clippers and "fades" or tapers up into almost any length on top. In some cases this haircut is mistakenly called a "military reg," which is misleading because each branch of the service has different regulations regarding hair length.

whitewall.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
fade.jpg

How exactly did you get that cut? What instruments were used? I like your cut it looks great on you.:)

Carlisle,

I don't disagree with anything you say in the above points.

But earlier when I explained why whitewalls were called whitewalls (=because of the tires) you said this:

My understanding of your comment is that you believe that "fade" is a different type of haircut to a "whitewall".

However, I was pointing out that a "fade" or any other style can have a whitewall (i.e. skin showing through).

Am I missing something here? Do you still think that "fade" and "whitewall" are mutually exclusive terms or have you changed your mind? :eusa_doh:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
;)

Maybe this sums it up:

You said earlier:

Perhaps you can combine a "fade" with a "whitewall", however, my understanding is there is an inherent difference between the two.

My take?

Yes, a fade will have whitewalls. So will a low-reg, mid-reg, hi-reg etc. Oh, and in case I left anyone out Jimmy Cagney has whitewalls here too:

13735_228374061344_697026344_356777.jpg

Carlisle Blues

Mr. 'H' said:
Carlisle,

I don't disagree with anything you say in the above points.

But earlier when I explained why whitewalls were called whitewalls (=because of the tires) you said this:

My understanding of your comment is that you believe that "fade" is a different type of haircut to a "whitewall".

However, I was pointing out that a "fade" or any other style can have a whitewall (i.e. skin showing through).

Am I missing something here? Do you still think that "fade" and "whitewall" are mutually exclusive terms or have you changed your mind? :eusa_doh:

No not mutually exclusive terms, but, nomenclature designed to differentiate between very similar styles. In certain sectors of society, yes, there are clear lines of demarcation regarding the cuts. I think they are so similar that I call it a fade myself, when on the base I say fade the barber goes on a tirade how different they are....:eusa_doh:

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
*awaits with bated breath to see which oversized font and abrasive font color and italics will be used for the reply....
:p

Precisely. Some people on here think they are the final word on a subject. Well, Id say Marc is anyway! lol

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
Precisely. Some people on here think they are the final word on a subject. Well, Id say Marc is anyway! lol

:eusa_clap

That's why I miss the good old days on the Lounge. Every thread seems to have the same usernames popping up as the latest post. I didn't join up to argue, but to learn and contribute. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe