Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

maximiliani

New in Town
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went and got a haircut...I tried to describe what I wanted, short on sides and back to my stylist (yeah don't go to a "real" barber yet...I'm thinking of switching though.) and said to leave the top long. I kind of like the 30's parted bang allowing a spit-curl or two a la Clark Kent. I can slick it back too....and while I don't think it's really authentic....is it a step closer?

15938_231734006773_552986773_409817.jpg

Picture0054.jpg

So yeah...

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I think you got a very good cut! It changes your appearance for the better. For what it's worth, I think the stylist did a great job. I agree with leaving long on the top. Looks very good!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I went in for a cut Tuesday. I got a 1 on the back and sides, bringing in a photo of Bing and one of those up top. The barber was VERY good at blending in, and brought close-to-bald to 5 inches long real smooth. I also have a sort of egg head on the back so my skull pops out a mile on the back, so he flattened it up there while keeping it long enough to comb. He was meticulous and perfectly buzzed the shape and length, but the only problem is he cut too short a bit too high so I couldn't slick it back on the lower and mid sides really. A great cut overall. The forum won't upload my pictures but they're in the right format, it keeps saying "upload failed". Any help so I could show some pictures?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
maximiliani said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went and got a haircut...I tried to describe what I wanted, short on sides and back to my stylist (yeah don't go to a "real" barber yet...I'm thinking of switching though.) and said to leave the top long. I kind of like the 30's parted bang allowing a spit-curl or two a la Clark Kent. I can slick it back too....and while I don't think it's really authentic....is it a step closer?

15938_231734006773_552986773_409817.jpg

Picture0054.jpg

So yeah...
Try to style it like Bing Crosby-it'd suit you. And buy some pomade!

Scotus

One of the Regulars
habberdasher said:
He was meticulous and perfectly buzzed the shape and length, but the only problem is he cut too short a bit too high so I couldn't slick it back on the lower and mid sides really.

This would have upset me and caused me to find another barber, unless I was confident I could explain it better and correct the problem. In fact, this happened with my stylist the first time she tried the '30s cut, but I knew she'd "get it" because she's very good. She "got it" and I've been happy with it. Glad you're cool and calm with slight mistakes. :)

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
I got these pictures on the Life Photo Archive and I thought you would like them.
448971ab13a73061_landing.jpg

Joe Carr from the Bronx, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.
Date taken: 1942
7d1fb1618dfe65cf_landing.jpg

High school student Hans Leder, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.

8587aabc3bb2f6d2_landing.jpg

New Jersey high school student Jack Paley, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.
966d8d8d1d180b8f_landing.jpg

New York City high school student Ralph Johnson, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.
a475f68cdbdd8987_landing.jpg

City College of New York student, Sid Dunowsky, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.

ba579e39efc435b3_landing.jpg

John Feer of Washington, DC, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.
Date taken: 1941
ff92da3e2d10e7c2_landing.jpg

New York City high school student Eddie Kosobuchi, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.

For 1942 Hans's hair is pretty out there.

Charlie

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
McFarlaneNYC said:
7d1fb1618dfe65cf_landing.jpg

High school student Hans Leder, who spent his summer doing farm work as member of Volunteer Land Corps.

For 1942 Hans's hair is pretty out there.

Charlie

This is a younger Matt Deckard, no?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
l_b4977a245c36376e72c0798fc1955e31.jpg

l_cfa455a5677cfbaa36c3eb9045fa8dc2.jpg

It's the ideal cut to prevent the dreaded 'hat-hair' (see thread in the Hats department)..

Now that is a cool pompadour. djgo-cat-go, you will like this one, it's at my own barbershop....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1T4a3OLesJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1T4a3OLesJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Now that is a cool pompadour. djgo-cat-go, you will like this one, it's at my own barbershop....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1T4a3OLesJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1T4a3OLesJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Mr. H, cool video. That's the first lady-barber who knows a good pomp! looks like a fine cut to me! Merry X- mas

edit: I tend to lower the pompadour a bit nowadays, but the short back 'n' sides still apply..
second edit: I may've come across a little harsh about this first lady-barber.. but this came from bad experiences in the past on my quest for a good vintage-haircut-barber at barbershops.. it somehow seems a 'male thing' that vintage haircut thing..

a2-1.jpg
a2-2.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Barbers in Apple Valley...

Well it appears to me that barbers in Apple Valley provide one of the most sought after amenities for men getting a haircut...the straight shave! 2 Out of 3 Barbershops I have gone to here all do the old juggler cutter! I got one yesterday and wow. The shop I frequent most is up the street from me a small 2 seater father and son joint. Correct barbers chairs, original equipment from wayyy back when...I mean they even do the scalp massage with an original machine! Shaving Cream, hot towel, shaving cream, shave, hot towel and bay rum...that is a biblical experience! And plus I got a 1 1/2 on the sides and a 4 on top with the shave...and only $13.

And Djgo, where'd you get the shoe leather? I like em!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
djgo-cat-go said:
Thanks Mr. H, cool video. That's the first lady-barber who knows a good pomp! looks like a fine cut to me! Merry X- mas

edit: I tend to lower the pompadour a bit nowadays, but the short back 'n' sides still apply..
second edit: I may've come across a little harsh about this first lady-barber.. but this came from bad experiences in the past on my quest for a good vintage-haircut-barber at barbershops.. it somehow seems a 'male thing' that vintage haircut thing..

a2-1.jpg
a2-2.jpg
That's a great haircut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe