Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREY Shoes - So Golden Era

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Back in the '30s,'40s and even '50s, grey was a viable -- and in the summer months, rather popular -- color for men's shoes. These days, however, men's vintage grey shoes are very hard to find.

Shoes came in the same variety of greys as hats did ... And you can be sure that some dandies matched their shoes with their hats! They were made in silverbelly grey, dove grey, mouse grey (a mixture of grey and taupe), oxford grey, slate grey, and charcoal grey. Suede was the most popular leather, though calfskin was also used. Here are a few examples:

The dove grey shoe at left is suede, probably from the 1950s. The mouse grey shoe at right is suede, and it's from the 1930s:

shoos004.jpg

The spectator shoe at left is calfskin (1930s or '40s). The spectator at right is suede and calfskin (1940s or early '50s):

shoos005.jpg

The spectator below is grey suede and nylon mesh. It's from the 1940s or early '50s. I have to get some grey laces for them ... difficult to find vintage grey flat laces!

shoos006.jpg

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Zach R. said:
shoos005.jpg

The one on the right seems like just the thing to propose to Mr. Magnoli.:eusa_clap

:eek: Those are beautiful. Please,
eusa_pray.gif
someone be my guinea pig for these! ;) I'm limited in the colours of buck I can do, but I can do the grey & black combo in all calf. Those would be spectacular!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally