Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Anton Pichler Graz, Crown Patch, probably around 1930s

21133578868_33a63c79a0_o.jpg

20700364583_d96eca92e1_o.jpg

I purchased a collection of old (probably 1930s and older) hat liner print plates (82 pieces) from the Czech Republic. They were found near Štramberk which is a short distance from Nový Jičín (Neutitschein) where Johann Hückel´s Söhne, Anton Peschel and Brüder Böhm were located. The largest number are from Brüder Böhm but I will start with Johann Hückel´s Söhne because I have a photo of the JHS factory print shop.

Wow, Steve! What a find. That is a great piece of history.......the whole lot! Fantastic!

Are you going to try your hand at doing a print off of one of those? It would be way cool.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Steve, what a find!! I don't think many people on the lounge realize how incredible these are. These print plates are the ACTUAL plates that printed the logos for these wonderful Austrian/German hat liners. There were many Bruder, Huckel, etc hats made through the years but probably only a handful of printing plates were ever produced. Just an incredible piece of hat history! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I fully agree with the comments of Josh
This find is a piece of history of the European producers and we must thank Steve who will seek to make deeper and more complete history of hats on this side of the Atlantic.
Bravissimo e competente!

Josh, Daniele, Thanks! What is interesting is the seller (a banknote collector) from the Czech Republic actually contacted me out of the blue. He found my website and thought I would be interested . I had to communicate with him using Google translate. I still need to post the remaining ones. There are a couple from Dunn & Co. which confirms that they were sourcing complete hats and not just Velour hat bodies.

Absolutely ASTOUNDING find, Steve. We must thank the seller for having the insight to find and contact you. And, if there was any doubt before, this places you firmly at or among the top of the field of global hat gurus (but WE knew that). The Steve Hat Museum? MEGA congrats, my friend!!!

Manfred, Thanks! I will post the remaining plates later today.

Alan, Thanks! My friend who is a portrait engraver at the US BEP is going to try to print some of them. This what he said from looking at the photos.

"Good they look pretty flat which means we can print them without damaging them or the press.

They are sort of die stamper variant. It doesn’t mean they have to be printed on one of them but they would be nice to have. We could ink these up with a roller and print a bunch of them on the same piece of paper. I would probably use my biggest press for something like this."

Charlie, Thanks! The seller actually found a few more.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Daniele, Thanks! What is interesting is the seller (a banknote collector) from the Czech Republic actually contacted me out of the blue. He found my website and thought I would be interested . I had to communicate with him using Google translate. I still need to post the remaining ones. There are a couple from Dunn & Co. which confirms that they were sourcing complete hats and not just Velour hat bodies.

That's really interesting that Dunn & Co sourced complete hats from Austrian makers. I wonder what the percentage was of hats sourced from Austrian makers and from UK manufactures....

Josh, Definitely the Dunn & Co. hats marked Austrian Velour. I am not sure what other hats were sourced by Dunn & Co.

Dunn & Co. Ltd

21087295823_17f333923e_b.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32103-German-amp-Austrian-Hutmachers&p=1066514&viewfull=1#post1066514

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-h%C3%BCckel%C2%B4s-s%C3%B6hne-h%C3%BCckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/?view=findpost&p=812

I just received some photos of additional plates that include Dalton Hat Company of New York.

Dalton Hats

21702625302_de7b298a24_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe