Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

RobStC

A-List Customer
Mayser Homburg

A Mayser Homburg that I own, very similar (I think) to one recently posted by Steve.

Colour in real life is a far richer, darker chestnut brown. Condition is pretty much perfect. Picked it up a while ago in a bunch of German hats that appeared in my local vintage shop. Any idea on age of this one?

P1010361.jpg

P1010362.jpg

P1010363.jpg

P1010364.jpg

P1010365.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

Rob, Wow that is a real beauty! It is very similar to mine but I think yours is a couple years older. My guess is early to mid 50s. Thank you for posting the photos!

RobStC

A-List Customer
Rob, Wow that is a real beauty! It is very similar to mine but I think yours is a couple years older. My guess is early to mid 50s. Thank you for posting the photos!

Yeah, sorry to be so long in getting around to posting it - and thanks for the inspiration to buy it and wear it! :D
Always liked the look of Homburgs on others, but was not quite sure about them on me. But the more I wear this one, the more I like it. I suspect that I need at least a 2 1/2" brim to work for me, and a lot of Homburgs seem narrower than that.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today was flea market day for me.
I visit two flea markets near my home town. The results, three Homburger, one of them a really nice old Wegener. mid gray.
The other Homburgs are old but unknown Manufacturer.

wegenercolonel.jpg

wegenercolonel1.jpg

wegenercolonel2.jpg

wegenercolonel3.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
a mayser homburg that i own, very similar (i think) to one recently posted by steve.

Colour in real life is a far richer, darker chestnut brown. Condition is pretty much perfect. Picked it up a while ago in a bunch of german hats that appeared in my local vintage shop. Any idea on age of this one?

p1010361.jpg

p1010362.jpg

p1010363.jpg

p1010364.jpg

p1010365.jpg

p1010366.jpg

p1010367.jpg
wow nice hom love the color !!!!!

Manfred, Great find with Wegener Homburg! Wegener really did super bow work.

David, I really wanted it but I didn't bid high enough. It has some condition issues but its the first pre 1940 soft felt Wegener I have encountered.

I was also surprised it went that high but regardless of the condition its very rare plus a larger size. The seller has a history of finding such hats.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
J. Hückels Söhne Sigma Foulard Velour

P1040212.JPG

P1040266.JPG

P1040267.JPG
P1040261.JPG

P1040263.JPG
P1040262.JPG
P1040265.JPG

P1040271.JPG
P1040273.JPG

A moderate weight relatively short dense velour of amazing quality and consistency. Shapes easily and smoothly. Intensely black. Amazing condition for a hat from before 1939. Same corrugated brow ventilation at front that we associate with Borsalino. One of the finest vintage felts. Maurice L. Rothschild & Co. stores were in Chicago and Minneapolis.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Robert, I'm speechless! That hat is probably the densest velour I have ever seen. You weren't kidding when you said it is intensely black. It appears that it hasn't faded at all through the years. I don't think there is any argument that the Austrians made the best velours in the world, and that one is no exception. AMAZING hat!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Robert, Thank you for posting the detailed photos! The Sigma Foulard is amazing in hand. Does it have a vent at the front? If so that is the first JHS I have seen from this time period with one.

Robert, I'm speechless! That hat is probably the densest velour I have ever seen. You weren't kidding when you said it is intensely black. It appears that it hasn't faded at all through the years. I don't think there is any argument that the Austrians made the best velours in the world, and that one is no exception. AMAZING hat!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have its brother but mine needed a new ribbon, liner and sweat. :)

4155344949_509b43af24_b.jpg

4156106900_a5718f7ab1_b.jpg

4156107206_4323ee7b26_b.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, Thank you for posting the detailed photos! The Sigma Foulard is amazing in hand. Does it have a vent at the front? If so that is the first JHS I have seen from this time period with one.

It has the front ventilation like earlier USA Borsalino hats. I suspect it was a choice by the American Wholesalers.

P1040274.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken