Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Very nice older Hückel fur felt Hat. Hückel no longer in business! Now is the manufacturer Tonak in Czechia!
My guess, 60s! Could be older but i am not sure!
Maybe Steve ( mayserwegener ) knows more!
It's a Weilheim, Germany model. Probably the mid to late 60s. If liner is stitched it could be a bit older.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today I was at a flea market in Wuppertal.
On my head, my Rehfus from 1954.
What see my Eyes, an old dusty green Alpine Hat. I did not intend to buy him, but my instinct says, look into the Hat.
It was a old Rehfus alpine Hat from 1950.

After brushing and cleaning!

rehfusolympia.jpg

rehfusolympia1.jpg

rehfusolympia2.jpg

rehfusolympia3.jpg

rehfusolympia4.jpg

rehfusolympia5.jpg

rehfusolympia6.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve.

The Imprint on the sweatband shows "Abt. Oberländer" / Dept. UpperCountry in English. We mean it was an alpine Hat, it is for Rehfus a Hunting Hat.
That hat was "The racer from the house Rehfus was the "Oberländer", a hat made of waterproof tumbled fur, found mainly in the hunting circles very popular and was made after the First World War as a normal Street Hat in all colors and shapes.
Rehfus gave himself the nickname Oberländer.
Enter 1907 the additional name "Oberländer" at the Karlsruhe Department of Justice did.
Carl Johann Rehfus Oberländer-died in 1926.

This Book was written by Carl Johann Rehfus-Oberländer.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/616SXVTT2YL._SS500_.jpg

bebilderung1.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The MensHatscom offers Hückel Hats.

Selco Hatter, the exclusive maker of Huckel hats, has opened a new online boutique TheMensHats.com. The new website sells the complete Huckel collection of felt and rabbit and beaver fur Selentino hats. Crafted in the Czech Republic and Italy for more than two centuries, these hats are easily fitted using an online sizing guide; customers will have a hat that fits as though sized by one of the trained Selco hatters. They are available for purchase in over twenty colors and a variety of styles , such as the Carlton Classic printed fur felt hat, or the Godfather Hat, Long Hair, both available in six colors.

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=royal...ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:772&biw=1592&bih=686

The MensHatscom

Selco is an interesting (being kind) company! :) Crafted in Italy for 200 years? Selco maker of Hückel? Royal Imperial Court of England?

Last edited:
Selco have a relationship (tied the orthodox Jewish market) with TONAK that goes way back. For some reason TONAK allows them to misrepresent the Hückel trademark and make false statements. My guess is that TONAK was / is desperate for business so they allowed / allow this type of thing to happen. What is interesting is TONAK lists the Hückel trademark on their website.

http://www.tonak.cz/index.php?typ=TSB&showid=7

Maybe Selco gets around it by using Huckel vs. Hückel. :)

Last edited:
After Hückel was nationalized (post WWII) as TONAK it was propped up by a communist government. Post Soviet Union they are just trying to keep the factory going. I believe they are now owned by a company in Holland. It is an enormous factory (pelt -> felt -> finished hat) operating at only 20% capacity. The TONAK trademark is the Hückel trademark less the name although they do still market hats / caps under the Hückel trademark.

tonak-logo.gif

The post WWII situation with Hückel was complex. You had TONAK (Czechoslovakia) and Hückel Weilheim (West Germany) running at the same time. Hückel Weilheim (financed by the expelled Fritz Hückel) was able to use the Hückel name in Germany but apparently not outside (I have no idea why this was the case). TONAK originally wanted to distance themselves from the Hückel name (for obvious political reasons) but found in the end they needed the famous brand name.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Ale, for your contribution and showing us the selco again.

Steve, the Selco liner shows the older Hückel in slightly modified form. I could bet he or the liner comes from Tonak.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, that seal velour is really stunning. Very nice the old Hückel logo pressure.
The older liner are beautiful.

Super, nice collection on ribbon´s. Now you can restoring some older Hats with old ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken