Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Forgot this:
Before retuning we went to Spain to fill up the gas tank and I found this:
JDhoney.jpg

Never seen this before in Spain... and I do know it is not sold in Portugal. Looking to try this :D
The Old nº 7 is 5 euros cheaper in Spain than in Portugal...

All of the distillers are offering the Honey Liqueur versions = Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, etc.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know what "HONEY" means in English. I wonder what "HON E Y" means? Labels like that are the stuff, people in graphics fora discuss, when we're discussing poor post 60s' hat-quality. The spacing/kerning of the letters in the word "honey" clearly suggests, there never was a graphic designer present, when the label was "designed". I would be afraid, that the content is just as poor in quality [huh]

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I know what "HONEY" means in English. I wonder what "HON E Y" means? Labels like that are the stuff, people in graphics fora discuss, when we're discussing poor post 60s' hat-quality. The spacing/kerning of the letters in the word "honey" clearly suggests, there never was a graphic designer present, when the label was "designed". I would be afraid, that the content is just as poor in quality [huh]
I would say poor typeface design and because of that, badly chosen.
What you said does not apply and that is the one thing I most hate on graphics design: you can make the most wonderful design ever to your eyes but if the costumer doesn't like it and wants something horrible, you have to do it and cannot complain.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You're probably right, Joao. It could look like a font with no - or a very rudimentary - kerning table. Though MS-Word is used for (way too) much, it was probably not used for a Whiskey/liqueur label. Still, it suggests: No graphic designer present.

My old typography teacher (back in the late 90s) used a Danish comparison, that is hard to translate directly, but I guess it could sound something like: "Gates did to typography, what the colonel did to Southern Fried Chicken!". Made it easily and widely accessible ... in a poor quality.

Yeah, but try to tell that to the young people of today! lol

[video=youtube;Xe1a1wHxTyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Justin, looks great!
Nice pics, Joao! Love those beach shots.
I had a bottle of that Honey Jack, but as good as it tasted, each sip gave me an almost immediate headache. [huh]

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
You're probably right, Joao. It could look like a font with no - or a very rudimentary - kerning table. Though MS-Word is used for (way too) much, it was probably not used for a Whiskey/liqueur label. Still, it suggests: No graphic designer present.
Being based on a old print it also might be bad bronze letters and the one who copied it to digital, left the "error". I've done that.

My old typography teacher (back in the late 90s) used a Danish comparison, that is hard to translate directly, but I guess it could sound something like: "Gates did to typography, what the colonel did to Southern Fried Chicken!". Made it easily and widely accessible ... in a poor quality.
That I don't know. There was text processing programs before MS Word ever existed.

Nice pics, Joao! Love those beach shots.
Thank you!

I had a bottle of that Honey Jack, but as good as it tasted, each sip gave me an almost immediate headache. [huh]
I do like it's taste and til now, no such effect on me. :D

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That I don't know. There was text processing programs before MS Word ever existed

Oh, yes! None of them were just browsers, though. Word's renderation is based on MSHTML, which totally ignores all kerning tables - just like Internet Explorer does. It's the same graphic motor.

QuarkXpress, Adobe InDesign (and it's predecessor, PageMaker) and even old simple micro text-editors like MacWrite is quite another thing. They all comply to built-in kerning information from the fonts.

Top: Word (very wrong spacing). Bottom: Adobe Illustrator (correct spacing). Look at "LT" and "AT". Word simply cannot overlap the bounding-boxes of the individual letters. From a typographical point of view, Word is a total disaster!

Alternate.jpg

Anyway ... :focus:

Last edited:
ramers.jpg

Some take away from this past weekend's celebration of my Aunt Sylvia's 100th birthday this past weekend.

This is my favorite family portrait of the Ramers. Sylvia was not yet born when it was taken (c. 1910). From left to right, Bess, Nat, Edith, Aaron and Milton. Bess and Nat were born in Europe (Austria/Poland/Ukraine - borders have changed) Edith, my grandmother, was in utero during the crossing. Nat was a painter - his pictures show up in my hat photos. He had a studio above Max's Kansas City on Park Avenue South for many decades. Aaron was a lawyer - he was killed shortly after reaching Spain with the Abraham Lincoln brigades. Nat was supposedly going too, but got on the wrong train and missed the boat (so legend says). Milton was a psychiatrist who lived to be 94. Not sure why he is wearing a dress. Aunt Sylvia was born in 1914 - the last surviving sibling. She was 2 1/2 pounds at birth. My great grandfather didn't trust the hospital to take care of her so he brought her home where she slept in a dresser drawer for a while. More family legend.

Sylvia with my dad:

ramers2.jpg

My dad with his kid brother

ramers3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21