Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is one of the beaches of Ostuni Apulia
The name is il Pilone (the prop :) ) This was near the sunset the day we arrived
Inviato dal mio GT-S7500 con Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405869273168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405869273168.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405869672608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405869672608.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 154
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405869749213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405869749213.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 154
Fedoras afield? How about a fedora at Wrigley Field?

Wrigley_Field_01_zps7ba70ca0.jpg

My wife and I were in the area (Tinley Park, actually) visiting her relatives from July 11th to the 21st, so we thought we'd take the tour. Now, before anyone starts with the Cubs vs Sox rivalry I'd like to mention I don't have a dog in that fight. I don't particularly care about organized sports, I just wanted to see the stadium because of it's history. And, since we're never in Illinois during baseball season, my wife suggested the tour.

Here's the view from the press box:

Wrigley_Field_02_zps1311c881.jpg

The crew in the center of the photo was covering the diamond in preparation for a Billy Joel concert.

Not a bad view, eh? They even have a view of Lake Michigan from there...sort of:

Wrigley_Field_03_zps9942d0e7.jpg

Interestingly, the players probably have the worst view of the game from the dugout:

Wrigley_Field_04_zps7da202b8.jpg

By the way, that woman on the right side of the photo with the blue jacket and lion's mane of hair is my wife; don't tell her I posted a photo with her in it. :D And just to reinforce the fedora issue, here's yours truly standing in the Cubs' dugout:

Wrigley_Field_05_zpsf51d7538.jpg

And just to remind patrons about the various refreshments available, the "common areas" of the park are decorated with several of these "old style" signs:

Wrigley_Field_06_zps84429ea7.jpg

I would have enjoyed taking photos of the entire collection, but the tour didn't allow for that. :(

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very kool Zombie, one of the few remaining historic stadiums still in use these days I guess. Do you know if the bleachers on top of the buildings outside the park are revenue for the Cubs too?

Landman

One Too Many
Great pictures Zombie! I'd be interested in knowing about the bleachers on surrounding buildings too. I never knew there were that many and that elaborate. Very cool.

hat trick

New in Town
Nice photos Zombie. I lived in Chicago for two years and my wife is from there. That said we have never been to Wrigley Field but always wanted to go. Enjoyed seeing photos from inside.

...Do you know if the bleachers on top of the buildings outside the park are revenue for the Cubs too?
...I'd be interested in knowing about the bleachers on surrounding buildings too. I never knew there were that many and that elaborate. Very cool.
The rooftop seats are an interesting story. The short version (as best I can remember from the tour guide's rather lengthy narrative) is that Wrigley Field was built in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, and a handful of residents soon realized they could watch the games for free from the rooftops of the surrounding buildings. The building owners learned of this and began charging admission to the rooftops on game days. The Cubs' owners found out and made several attempts to block the view with screens, billboards, and/or whatever they could think of, but eventually they struck a deal with the building owners for a small percentage of the "ticket" sales. Soon after that happened the whole enterprise went corporate, bleachers were erected, and it became what you see in the photos. According to the tour guide the Cubs' current owners are once again trying to find ways to prevent people from viewing the games from outside the park; time will tell how that plays out.

...Is that your CRM?
No Sir, it's my Taupe Fawn Akubra Campdraft. I've read some of the horror stories about the abuse hats take while traveling (particularly at the TSA security checkpoints at the airports) so I selected it because of Akubra's reputation for durability and resilience, and because it would have been easier and less expensive to replace if the worst had happened. Besides, my CRM is my favorite hat and I wouldn't want to subject it to such abuse. :D Fortunately, the Campdraft came through with flying colors--no damage, no stains, not even a little dirt.

Thank you all for the very kind comments! The trip was exhausting, and I was nearly eaten alive by Illinois' five-pound mosquitoes, but it was a LOT of fun!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Business Trip to Miami, FL

I took a 1-day trip to Miami for work the other day. Here are some nice shots while it was sunny. It rains quite a bit down there, but then it clears up pretty fast...

Awaiting a major renovation; this place hadn't changed since the '60s...

8BD37911.jpg

06D3BD4A.jpg

LOTS of cool architecture down there...

6BBB5AAD.jpg

5EF5E2FF.jpg

The view from the hotel...

B6B96CCB.jpg

Breathtaking views from the plane coming home...

682967A4.jpg

A72C0E4C.jpg

And a new friend!! He sat down and we both said, "Nice hat!" Both flight attendants came over to us and asked if we meant to sit next to each other. I told them it wasn't the EXIT row, it was the Hat row!! :) He and I talked about a bunch of things: hats, pleasantries, and faith. I also told him about The Fedora Lounge, so you may see him sometime.

AAE2F0B2.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Zombie, those are great! Never been to Wrigley, but I have a vague memory of Comiskey from when I was very young.

Alive! Those are great pics too! I really enjoyed Miami for the week I spent there 15 years ago, but the ocean's on the wrong side! ;)

Zombie, those are great! Never been to Wrigley, but I have a vague memory of Comiskey from when I was very young...
The first time I visited the Chicago area was in 1981 after my wife and I were married. I don't recall ever seeing Comiskey Park, let alone attend a game there, but my wife has fond memories of seeing games there with her father when she was young. We drove past the Sox' new park a few times during our recent trip ("U.S. Cellular Field" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?) and, at a glance flying past it on the Dan Ryan Expressway, I can't say I found it to be as visually appealing as the older ballparks.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's been a long time since I've been to Chicago, but I'm in Minneapolis for the night with my family and a hat that was made in Chicago (falcon park hattery). Excuse the poor hotel room photo.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406418765906.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406418765906.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 150

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21