Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

Big Man, dh66 great shots. j p is right about the ACD's. Great dogs, I'm crazy about mine and he wil play until I just quit.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

On our hike to Catawba Falls yesterday, someone we met along the trail asked what kind of dog we had. My reply was, "it's a black dog with some brown here and there." From my expierence with dogs, a plain old "mutt" dog is the best there is.

This old dog, who's getting gray and loosing some of her teeth, has been the best companion for Mackenna (and me). She's spoiled rotten now, and gets to spend her nights in the house. The bad thing about it all is she KNOWS she's spoiled - and takes great advantage of the fact.

...someone we met along the trail asked what kind of dog we had. My reply was, "it's a black dog with some brown here and there." From my expierence with dogs, a plain old "mutt" dog is the best there is.

I've been giving about the same answer to that question for every dog my family's had. "A brown dog" is my typical response. Yup, gotta love those all-around, mixed-breed hounds. Especially important when buying your homeowners' insurance...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I was watching my granddaughter, Mackenna, play baseball this morning, I got a call from my grandson, Tristian, telling me he shot a Wild Turley. I got to thinking about it all, and how VERY proud I am of ALL my grandchildren.

While watching Mackenna's game, I noticed a lot of the other children running around, not paying attention, eating dirt, not staying on-task, and being a general pain in the butt. Not only the children, but those same children's parents, too. Most of them were either just sitting there watching their child misbehave, or would continuously be yelling (and I do mean yelling), "OK, little Johnny, you need to stop that, I'm not going to tell you again... OK, this is the last time I'm telling you ... OK, I'm not telling you again... Don't do that again ... I'm not telling you again ..." Well, you get the idea. All the time, Mackenna was either on-task when in the field or at bat, and when in the dugout she sat on the bench waiting her turn like she should. I know every parent and grandparent thinks their child is the best, and I'm certainly no exception (of course I just don't "think" mine are the best, I know they are :) ).

I am so very proud of my grandchildren. From Tristian getting a turkey this morning, to Marley getting her first deer this Fall, to Mackenna being a good baseball player and hiker, and even to little baby Sam who sleeps quietly while all the action of a ball game is going on. Not only am I proud of the accomplishments of my grandchildren, but most of all I am proud that all of them are well-behaved, have good manners, and are good, productive citizens. I am also proud of my children who are raising my grandchildren right, and who have instilled in them what it takes to be a good citizen and to have good manners.

It’s not easy raising children today. It wasn’t easy when I was raising my own children, and I suppose it wasn’t easy when I was being raised as well. However, I am glad that my parents took the time to raise me right, and that I took the time to raise my children right. It is all showing up now with how my grandchildren are living their lives.

OK, off my rant now and off my bragging streak.

I feel the need. The need for speed. [emoji14]

950687b788d5cdf9f2f9d037b4c868f2.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Week 2 of soccer: Lily was a starter. She ran a lot! Still need to work on "stealing" the ball. Her team scored a lot. Final "score" was 14-3.
20150502_120504-1_zpszl9scfrw.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Today was rough for Hubby. He grew up playing sports, and was quite good at it. This is Lily's first competitive sport (having done ballet & gymnastics). She is teamed up with a lot of older kids (mix of 5/6 year olds), and some kids have at least 2 years of experience playing soccer. He wants her to pick up on the sport faster than she is. That she isn't... well, let's just leave it at he is frustrated.

Me, on the other hand? I see this as a way for her to connect with other kids, work cooperatively, learn new skills, take direction from someone that isn't us (her coach rocks!), and get exercise. Oh, and have the experience so she won't have it for the first time when she starts school in the fall.

But then again, my "team sports" growing up were orchestra and choir. Different perspective.

Major upside of her running so much today? She was snoring before the end of her night time songs (about 2 minutes worth). Yay, soccer!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82