Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EXTREME STRAW HAT MAKEOVER

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

So inspired was I by the Loungers who have reblocked and "remade" their old hats, that I decided to try my hand at it.

I recently got this milan straw hat from an elderly lady. It was her father-in-law's: he then gave it to her in the 1960s ... and she proceeded to wear it backwards for the next 40 years. Seems to be a pretty old lid. Here is a photo of the hat as I received it:

c5_1.jpg

I decided to reblock the crown and reshape the brim. Using a lot of steam from a kettle, I did the pinching, indenting, and rounding by hand. My goal was to give the hat a circa 1900 colonial look. Here is the result:

shoos018.jpg
-----
shoos017.jpg

shoos019.jpg
-----
shoos015.jpg

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I really like the shape of the crown...but how will you carry on it's history of being worn backwards with the brim like that?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think it's pretty spiff... I like the crown treatment. But I gotta say I'm most impressed with your ability to completely re-do the shape like that without blocks. Very well done!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thanks, everyone! Milan straw, being pretty elastic, is not difficult to shape, once it's hot from the steam. The trick is to hold the pinch for about 30 seconds after aiming the steam at the crown. Many seconds of pinching, indenting, and more pinching.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Milan straw

Great job on the handing blocking because that takes alot of skill.:eusa_clap

When you steamed the straw did you notice if the hat had a fresh cut grass smell to it?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Why thank you Marc. It started life out as one of Peters Bros. Indy Straw, but I had to immediately re-shape it int what you see there. There was just way too much crown (around 6") for a center dent. It looked like I was wearing one of Abe Lincolns stovepipe tot hats. So with a little steam from the kettle and some patience I did my own free hand 'c' crown. Glad you like it.

I have to say what you did with that vintage straw is mighty fine work in its self. Good Job.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I also noticed that the just-steamed straw felt a little bit sticky. Once it cooled, the stickiness went away.

The stickieness comes from the light varnish in the straw that helps hold it's shape so well. Just be careful near water rides at amusement parks or under misters. It does tend to soften the varnish hold, but once it dries your back in business.

Cheers!

Dan

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its Real

Marc Chevalier said:
Yes! It was an incentive to steam some more and ignore the burning feeling in my fingers.

I also noticed that the just-steamed straw felt a little bit sticky. Once it cooled, the stickiness went away.

Great and Thank you :)

That shows its a real Milan straw hat and not a rice paper woven one with a ton of laquer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally