Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every mention of Alexander Leathers has been completely eliminated from the forum!?

Peacoat

Bartender
Then it should be placed in a thread with music, not this. If this thread was about any other maker I have serious doubt it would have slid so quickly and long into this ordeal as it has here. I enjoy the stories as well but feel this is not the correct thread to have them, why search through bits of malice, accusations, hearsay instead of just having a thread purely on the great stories and note of music. Just my opinion.

That is my point: there currently isn't any place in the Lounge where we can discuss this topic. I will admit that I got a bit carried away on "off topic," but that partially was due to the fact that this thread was really at rock bottom and Feraurd was, rightfully so, at the end of his patience.

IXL

One Too Many
Man, do I ever love this music thread!!! I didn't grow up in a household that listened to R&B; I didn't even know much of their existence until sometime in my 20's. I was on my way home one Sunday afternoon and while punching different stations on my vehicles radio, ran across NPR. They play blues every Sunday. I didn't know what it was exactly, but I sat out in my truck for a good 45 minutes after I got home, listening to this most wonderful music.
Finally, my wife came out and wanted to know what the hell I was doing just sitting in the driveway and I told her about my discovery. A short while later I realized that one of my favorite groups up to that time, Led Zeppelin, had been incorporating many elements of old blues numbers in many of their songs. Turns out I'd been a blues fan all along!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is my point: there currently isn't any place in the Lounge where we can discuss this topic. I will admit that I got a bit carried away on "off topic," but that partially was due to the fact that this thread was really at rock bottom and Feraurd was, rightfully so, at the end of his patience.

:arated:

Peacoat

Bartender
Actually, I'd quite enjoy a thread on this subject - particularly Blues into Blues rock. I once had the enormous pleasure of visiting a vintage blues record label for a feature, it was just a fluffy human interest thing, and at the end the owner said: "Would you like to see the warehouse?" I replied "Sure". So we went into this big hangar which was piled high with the labels CDs. He said: "Take what you like". I declined, journalistic ethics being what they are, but he insisted: "I know what you're saying but if I was in your position, I'd take full advantage of this." and walked around filling a box with pre-war artists. His selection was so comprehensive that don't think I'll ever need to buy another blues record...

I have sorta been in that position. I was a blues DJ for ten years. I was the only blues jock at the station, so every blues record (as in vinyl LP) was channeled my way. Initially we started out with almost zero in the way of a blues library, and I played exclusively from my personal collection--which was extensive. By the time I left, we had a good selection of Blues LPs. Often we would get in doubles, or even triples of the same record. When we had triples, I sometimes would ask the station manager if I could take the record for my collection*. The answer was always yes. If it were a triple, I had no problems adding it to my collection, especially as CDs were just starting to be played regularly, and vinyl was on the way out.

After I moved on to other things, I would go back occasionally to sub for one of the new jocks who had taken over from me. By that time, CDs were all that were being played. A few years after I had left, all I saw were CDs. I looked around for our vinyl library I had developed and could not find not a single copy. The broadcast studio and, I believe, the station itself, had moved. The vinyl may have been lost in the move (or thrown away, as happened at other radio stations, but that is another story). Made me wish I had not been so careful in developing the blues library for the station.

We seldom regret that which we did, but rather our regrets are directed at that which was left undone. (P.C. 2012)

_____
* On those LPs, I would mark on the jacket of the LP the letters of the station in bold magic marker, so that if a particular LP were ever needed again, I could bring it back. And that happened a few times. Some of the more popular records would grow legs and walk off. I would get a call from the DJ asking if by any chance I had another copy of the record. I would check, and if so, take it to the station. I maintained a close relationship with the blues DJs over the years, so it was easy to get the records back to them if needed.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
"As a prior poster noted, we need a section on this topic. There is no place in the Lounge where we can discuss vintage music--post Golden Age--which would go up to about 1975. After that, it is pretty much modern music. There was another definite change in music about 1972--1975."

Then quite another turn 1978-84...how about some Punk rock stories to go along with your cycles and jackets?

We first probably need to agitate to get a section on vintage music. Might have more success with TPTB with vintage music than by broadening it to the "modern" era. It's the story of the camel's nose under the tent, if you get my drift.

Peacoat

Bartender
Man, do I ever love this music thread!!! I didn't grow up in a household that listened to R&B; I didn't even know much of their existence until sometime in my 20's. I was on my way home one Sunday afternoon and while punching different stations on my vehicles radio, ran across NPR. They play blues every Sunday. I didn't know what it was exactly, but I sat out in my truck for a good 45 minutes after I got home, listening to this most wonderful music.
Finally, my wife came out and wanted to know what the hell I was doing just sitting in the driveway and I told her about my discovery. A short while later I realized that one of my favorite groups up to that time, Led Zeppelin, had been incorporating many elements of old blues numbers in many of their songs. Turns out I'd been a blues fan all along!

I have heard so many stories similar to yours. Never exposed to the blues before, and then heard Muddy Waters for the first time, or Buddy Guy or Little Walter, or whomever. Was just blown away by the power of the music, and then realized there were elements of the blues in the modern rock n roll or rock music the person had been hearing all along. It is a common story.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have sorta been in that position. I was a blues DJ for ten years. I was the only blues jock at the station, so every blues record (as in vinyl LP) was channeled my way. Initially we started out with almost zero in the way of a blues library, and I played exclusively from my personal collection--which was extensive. By the time I left, we had a good selection of Blues LPs. Often we would get in doubles, or even triples of the same record. When we had triples, I sometimes would ask the station manager if I could take the record for my collection*. The answer was always yes. If it were a triple, I had no problems adding it to my collection, especially as CDs were just starting to be played regularly, and vinyl was on the way out.

After I moved on to other things, I would go back occasionally to sub for one of the new jocks who had taken over from me. By that time, CDs were all that were being played. A few years after I had left, all I saw were CDs. I looked around for our vinyl library I had developed and could not find not a single copy. The broadcast studio and, I believe, the station itself, had moved. The vinyl may have been lost in the move (or thrown away, as happened at other radio stations, but that is another story). Made me wish I had not been so careful in developing the blues library for the station.

We seldom regret that which we did, but rather our regrets are directed at that which was left undone.

_____
* On those LPs, I would mark on the jacket of the LP the letters of the station in bold magic marker, so that if a particular LP were ever needed again, I could bring it back. And that happened a few times. Some of the more popular records would grow legs and walk off. I would get a call from the DJ asking if by any chance I had another copy of the record. I would check, and if so, take it to the station. I maintained a close relationship with the blues DJs over the years, so it was easy to get the records back to them if needed.

One of the good things about the rise of digital technology for small labels like the one I visited, is that people are more likely to come looking for just one or two songs by an artist, rather than take away a whole dozen tracks - I don't hold with this personally, but there you go - so they can amass money bit-by-bit and keep going. This way, it means the stuff is out there permanently , rather than falling out of print, as has happened in the past.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
One of the good things about the rise of digital technology...the stuff is out there permanently , rather than falling out of print, as has happened in the past.

This is a mistaken assumption. Digital content, presumed by most to be held somewhere in the ether or in storage by someone, may be the most loseable of all human data ever created. It might be somewhere and it might not. And if it is archived - and most data are not - in what format is it archived and how then to use or re-use it?

It's the same with photography. Last year I read about a camera being found, when the film inside was developed there were pictures from Pearl Harbor 1941...Can't say what format photos will be in 60 years from now...even Facebook will be gone. Generations of memories could be gone for good. Digital is disposable in a way...

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It's the same with photography. Last year I read about a camera being found, when the film inside was developed there were pictures from Pearl Harbor 1941...Can't say what format photos will be in 60 years from now...even Facebook will be gone. Generations of memories could be gone for good. Digital is disposable in a way...
I usually print and put the best and favourite in an old fashioned album

Feraud

Bartender
I have heard so many stories similar to yours. Never exposed to the blues before, and then heard Muddy Waters for the first time, or Buddy Guy or Little Walter, or whomever. Was just blown away by the power of the music, and then realized there were elements of the blues in the modern rock n roll or rock music the person had been hearing all along. It is a common story.
A similar story here too. I grew up listening to rock and roll. When I was around 20 I stumbled on some Robert Johnson recordings and was blown away. I immediately felt the connction to the music I was currently listening to. It made me enjoy certain bands more knowing they were carrying on that blues lineage. I also realized some bands were just cranking out noise!

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
This is a mistaken assumption. Digital content, presumed by most to be held somewhere in the ether or in storage by someone, may be the most loseable of all human data ever created. It might be somewhere and it might not. And if it is archived - and most data are not - in what format is it archived and how then to use or re-use it?

Wrong! Digital content is created, spread and stored in the most savable form of data ever created. Now if my late friend had only recorded the night he opened for The Yardbirds first ever US performance. His Grundig broke down while recording their rehersals. I do have those tapes which I've archived digitally and other bands will live on and on thanks to digital media.

wild_balls

Practically Family
I must say this as we are talking about the blues here, I listen a lot to the old boys and women of blues, but for the later ones it is a shame Stevie Ray Vaughan passed so young of age! His early stuff are breathtaking!!! Fortunately he played the guitar better than he dressed himself.

R.I.P Stevie!

Cheers Joakim

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

True, but I know I find it easier to get a hold of old/obscure stuff than I did 10 or 15 years ago on a digital format. I don't necessarily prefer it, but it's a useful resource, and it's helped to sustain small record labels.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Not trying to open a seperate can of worms here, but anyone here listen to garage rock or instrumental surf music? Those two genres are the cream of the crop imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld