Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every mention of Alexander Leathers has been completely eliminated from the forum!?

Peacoat

Bartender
So, more on Jimi Hendrix: During the first part of his time in Nashville, and after he was released from the Army, he stayed in a room with a mattress on the floor with a bare lightbulb for light. This room was over the Club Del Morocco on Jefferson Street. I can't remember if Jimi played at the Morocco or at the (New) Era Club on Charlotte, or at another of the four or five clubs there on Jefferson Street. Probably all of them. Nashville had a huge R&B club and recording scene at the time. It was the other half of the Music City equation.

Bill, Hossman, Allen was one of the legendary DJs on WLAC radio. He along with John R (Richbourg), Gene Nobles and Herman Grizzard played the blues and R&B on the 50,000 clear channel giant back in the 50s through the early 70s, until new management came in and changed the direction of the station. The Hossman also produced R&B records. Billy Cox, Jimi's bass player, was one of the musicians Hoss used on a regular basis. One session Hoss needed a guitar player. Billy had been raving about the guitar player he was doing club work with. So Hoss asked him to go get him for the session. Hoss told me that all Jimi would play was psychedelic guitar and was totally unusable for the session. Jimi must have been smoking something that day, because he did other straight R&B gigs without the psychedelic stuff around that period of time. So, instead of me telling you about Jimi's first record as a sessions man, I am telling you about what was almost his first recorded work.

At any rate, I had always wondered where the Club Del Morocco had been back in its heyday. A friend of mine, Luther, Guitar Jr., Johnson (not be be confused with Luther Johnson, another guitar player), was in town and we were having ribs on Jefferson Street. Junior was a guitar player with Muddy Waters' band at the time. I told him the story about Jimi living over the club and playing in the area. Of course he wanted to find the Club Del Morocco. So, we started asking the older guys in the area about the club. One of them said it was just down the street, and that he would show us. He kinda smiled as he said it. So we got in my car and drove a few blocks. As we were approaching the underpass for I-40, he said slow down. He then pointed to the left where the I-40 exit ramp came onto Jefferson Street. He said, "Right there it was, the center of the building was right there, right where that exit ramp is now."

Well that was a bit of a letdown to have finally found the club, for it to not be there anymore. Junior was OK with it though. When we met up with the other band members that night, he proudly told them the story about finding where Jimi Hendrix used to live. We both just kinda kept quite about it having been taken out by the exit ramp.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Peacoat, I like those stories. Mine comes many years later. 1994. The first time I was in the Pac Northwest I was shooting something in King County (south of Seattle). After I finish I ask if there's anything to do there and a grip tells me nothing: except Hendrix's grave. As it turns out it is fifteen minutes from where I am. I drive over. It's end of day. There's no one at the cemetery except a groundsman, far away riding a tractor mower, and wearing big yellow noise protectors on his ears. When he sees me he stops and starts waving wildly. I think he's kicking me out but then I realize he's waving in a direction, with giant gestures, like semaphores, from a hundred yards away. Once he sees I understand and am walking on his line he resumes tractoring. Sure enough about 25 yards in that direction is one grave with a bunch of little cards, dried flowers, cut glass, and little stones on it. I am there alone. And I remember taking a girl named Jan, in 1968, to see him and the Experience play on a revolving stage in the center of the Spectrum in 968. Most of all I see his colored scarves flying off every appendage in every direction.

Peacoat

Bartender
HD: Cool, I'm in.

Alpha: Good story. You must have been in, or close to, Renton as that is King County, south of Seattle. I was last in Renton in 2007.

Edward

Bartender
There are photos on one of the other threads. So far I've seen two models, one resembling a Hughwayman and one resembling a Bootlegger. Look nice, though personally I'd have hoped a new narket player would be bringing something new to the table that isn't already available from a few different sources. Still, they'll know what market they're aiming for better than me, so.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There are photos on one of the other threads. So far I've seen two models, one resembling a Hughwayman and one resembling a Bootlegger. Look nice, though personally I'd have hoped a new narket player would be bringing something new to the table that isn't already available from a few different sources. Still, they'll know what market they're aiming for better than me, so.

That would be Aero's, I think...

garzo

One of the Regulars
In all fairness, and remaining objective and without regards to the whole horsehide-steerhide fiasco (simply because the jury is still out on that one), Aero, like any company, is not just one person, but a team. It takes a team to make it work, to make it succeed. We really don't know what happen other than part of the Aero team left and started a new company doing exactly what they have always done for a customer base they know well and in many cases personally. One could probably argue that some of the folks that left to start Alexander played a major role in Aero's success over the years. So whose market is it really? Aero's, or the hard-working folks who created the market in the first place?
If it turns out that the entire staff of the new company were behind Aero's fraudulent sales of fake horsehide jackets, then their reputation and business will no doubt suffer for it, and deservedly so.
I'm a big fan of Aero jackets and have bought quite a few of their items in recent years, but I still have no clue as to what really transpired up in Scotland. It would certainly be interesting to be an investigator on the case, though.

Edward

Bartender
If they're looking an investigator, I'm available. Of course, the only way to be certain whether it is horse or steer is to observe wear patterns over time. For scientufic reasons, this also works best with jackets in the 42/44 size range. ;-)

Peacoat

Bartender
How about leaving it [Alexander Leathers topic] and starting a new topic when someone buys a jacket to show us.

I agree. We had it sidetracked for a while with a fun (for us) discussion of Thirty Years of Post WWII Music.

As a prior poster noted, we need a section on this topic. There is no place in the Lounge where we can discuss vintage music--post Golden Age--which would go up to about 1975. After that, it is pretty much modern music. There was another definite change in music about 1972--1975.

You guys keep on sniping and making nasty comments, and Feraud will shut it down. When it gets contentious again, I will punish the perpetrators with a story of my time with Duane and Greg Allman (it isn't as interesting as it might sound).

OK, so now back to the often contentious topic of Alexander Leathers vs. Aero.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree. We had it sidetracked for a while with a fun (for us) discussion of Thirty Years of Post WWII Music.

As a prior poster noted, we need a section on this topic. There is no place in the Lounge where we can discuss vintage music--post Golden Age--which would go up to about 1975. After that, it is pretty much modern music. There was another definite change in music about 1972--1975.

Actually, I'd quite enjoy a thread on this subject - particularly Blues into Blues rock. I once had the enormous pleasure of visiting a vintage blues record label for a feature, it was just a fluffy human interest thing, and at the end the owner said: "Would you like to see the warehouse?" I replied "Sure". So we went into this big hangar which was piled high with the labels CDs. He said: "Take what you like". I declined, journalistic ethics being what they are, but he insisted: "I know what you're saying but if I was in your position, I'd take full advantage of this." and walked around filling a box with pre-war artists. His selection was so comprehensive that don't think I'll ever need to buy another blues record...

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
There's much going on in music now that would justify such a section. Lots.......
Peacoat by chance do you have any Jimmy Carter fashion stories this Alexander subject just ain't happening.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

You guys keep on sniping and making nasty comments, and Feraud will shut it down. When it gets contentious again, I will punish the perpetrators with a story of my time with Duane and Greg Allman (it isn't as interesting as it might sound).

OK, so now back to the often contentious topic of Alexander Leathers vs. Aero.

Peacoat, What makes you think that a story of your time with Duane and Greg Allman would not be as interesting as it might sound? I, for one, think it would be very interesting to hear more, perhaps more than the original topic. :music:

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Peacoat, What makes you think that a story of your time with Duane and Greg Allman would not be as interesting as it might sound? I, for one, think it would be very interesting to hear more, perhaps more than the original topic. :music:

Then it should be placed in a thread with music, not this. If this thread was about any other maker I have serious doubt it would have slid so quickly and long into this ordeal as it has here. I enjoy the stories as well but feel this is not the correct thread to have them, why search through bits of malice, accusations, hearsay instead of just having a thread purely on the great stories and note of music. Just my opinion.

"As a prior poster noted, we need a section on this topic. There is no place in the Lounge where we can discuss vintage music--post Golden Age--which would go up to about 1975. After that, it is pretty much modern music. There was another definite change in music about 1972--1975."

Then quite another turn 1978-84...how about some Punk rock stories to go along with your cycles and jackets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld