Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
It's a full weight leather and here's the best pic they have posted showing how it looks.
View attachment 9844

Dickie - Thanks for this! I think this pushed me over the edge to start a new Wesco order.... crap.

I have wanted a proper two toned pair for years, and I think this new brown looks lighter in color and a lot richer than the old brown. I am thinking New Chrome brown on everything but with a Redwood shaft. And my standard order of double midsoles and 705 half soles, of course.... :)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Bunyip -

I think we discussed what White's is willing to do as two-tone Nomads are concerned - they will only do a very basic version with everything up top one color and everything on the bottom another color.

Well, I was just cruising eBay today, and I came across a pair that was up for sale - not my size, and these are not my pictures, but this shows exactly what White's is willing to do for a two-tone pair. It's a real shame, and I sincerely hope they reconsider in the future - I would love to own a pair of two-toned Nomads. In this case, I would want the instep strap, calf strap, and backstay to be black.

Anyhow, here are the pics - not my cup of tea, but it might work for some:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer, your a machine. Thanks for that mate,that's kind of how I pictured them,and it's such a shame...I have no doubt that in time they will offer a lot more flexibility with the nomad, if Wesco is their main opposition, they don't have a choice. The new wesco leather is the cats meow...I got an email back from them, it is called Domain....and I dig it the most...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Brian, great to see you on this board!!! You need to photo bomb the hell out of this thread with your work!! Fellas need to know

-Bret

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Wow! Those look incredible Brian! I may have to send some work your way - I love the stitched and riveted midsoles and the combo of the Biltrite and Cat's Paw soles and heels.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Those do look very nice Brian. I assume those Nast Feet have no relation to the Nasty Feet Chippeawa's sold through Easy Rider magazine with an ad featuring a topless woman surrounded by their line of Nasty Feet boots.

univibe88

One Too Many
I'd like to ask your opinion on some boots I'm considering.

I want to order some White's Nomads in black CXL, soft toe, brown edge treatment, double midsole and Vibram 700 1/2 half soles with a 1/4" heel lift. The Mister Freedom Road Champ is my inspiration.

A couple questions - my thought is to go after a more 30/40s style with the soft toe. I suppose it would be more accurate to just have leather soles but I want the functionality of rubber outsoles. Any "authenticity" problems here? Also, I'm very indecisive about whether to bother with Cat's Paws. I think they are really cool, but who the heck ever sees the bottom of your boots? It could also be a pain down the road when it comes time to resole. I'm buying the boots to wear, so a big part of me thinks to go with modern Vibram.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I'd like to ask your opinion on some boots I'm considering.

I want to order some White's Nomads in black CXL, soft toe, brown edge treatment, double midsole and Vibram 700 1/2 half soles with a 1/4" heel lift. The Mister Freedom Road Champ is my inspiration.

A couple questions - my thought is to go after a more 30/40s style with the soft toe. I suppose it would be more accurate to just have leather soles but I want the functionality of rubber outsoles. Any "authenticity" problems here? Also, I'm very indecisive about whether to bother with Cat's Paws. I think they are really cool, but who the heck ever sees the bottom of your boots? It could also be a pain down the road when it comes time to resole. I'm buying the boots to wear, so a big part of me thinks to go with modern Vibram.

Thanks in advance.

Those sound rally nice - are Cat's Paw heels already available through Baker's? I believe a lot of the Cat's Paws you see these days are reproductions, so it is more of a stylistic choice than a functional one. You do see them every time you sit and cross your legs. White's will use a Quabaug heel in conjunction with Vibram Half soles, and technically their half soles are a cut down Vibram 700, not a true 705 half sole. It's roughly the same thing, just achieved a different way.

I am no expert on vintage, but I believe leather soles would be more correct. Marineabilly would be your best bet for vintage engineer boot questions - his Vintage Engineer boot blog has a lot of info. I wonder if Whites would do double midsoles with a thick leather half sole.... That would be sort of a best of both worlds option. Marineabilly had Hukurokuju do that on a pair of Road Champs, and it looked great.

univibe88

One Too Many
Those sound rally nice - are Cat's Paw heels already available through Baker's? I believe a lot of the Cat's Paws you see these days are reproductions, so it is more of a stylistic choice than a functional one. You do see them every time you sit and cross your legs. White's will use a Quabaug heel in conjunction with Vibram Half soles, and technically their half soles are a cut down Vibram 700, not a true 705 half sole. It's roughly the same thing, just achieved a different way.

I am no expert on vintage, but I believe leather soles would be more correct. Marineabilly would be your best bet for vintage engineer boot questions - his Vintage Engineer boot blog has a lot of info. I wonder if Whites would do double midsoles with a thick leather half sole.... That would be sort of a best of both worlds option. Marineabilly had Hukurokuju do that on a pair of Road Champs, and it looked great.

Bakers had Cat's Paws awhile back. I have to ask if they still do. I am familiar with the Quabaug / cut down Vibram 700 sole. My semi-dress are done that way and I quite like it.

You are right about Marineabilly's blog... it's awesome!!!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I ended up picking up some Frye Arkansas Engineer Boots through ebay. As I mentioned previously, I thought I may dip my toe in the engineer boot genre before I commit to a pair of high-end engineers. I like the brown midsole and heel against the black boot. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Horween stamp inside one of the boots. They look nice IMO and I hope they wear well.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I ended up picking up some Frye Arkansas Engineer Boots through ebay. As I mentioned previously, I thought I may dip my toe in the engineer boot genre before I commit to a pair of high-end engineers. I like the brown midsole and heel against the black boot. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Horween stamp inside one of the boots. They look nice IMO and I hope they wear well.

Can you tell me more about these? If they are using Horween leather, I might be interested in trying out a pair - I think these could be really nice with a custom resole.

I am mainly curious about fit, leather thickness, and your impression of the overall quality.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok, feeling lazy: what's the general consensus on sizing older model RW 2268s? Thinking my next pair of engineers are gonna be some PT91s or earlier if I'm lucky and do a recraft/resole via Brian or similar. I'm a tts 10D; have read some say half to whole size down, other say half size up (cos they're steel toed). Any experience of forum members?

Also, any idea of the maker on these? Only have the one crappy pic which I lightened up to get more deets. I'm thinking they're Work America

4CE710F7-B998-4EA3-945B-2B0326D12783.jpg

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Can you tell me more about these? If they are using Horween leather, I might be interested in trying out a pair - I think these could be really nice with a custom resole.

I am mainly curious about fit, leather thickness, and your impression of the overall quality.

I'm a pretty standard 10.5 D and wear size 10 in Wolverine 1000 and RW Beckman. I bought these in size 10 and they fit fine. I put a thin Dr. Scholl's insole pad - the cheapie type to take up a little extra room. I wore them yesterday for the first time for about 7-8 hours. They were comfortable, but started to rub a bit on the inside of my heels by the end of the day. I don't think it will be an issue as they aren't even broken in yet. Not sure how I feel about the top of the boot. I may punch another hole to allow me to tighten them up a bit. I've never worn engineers, but have worn cowboy boots and these are similar. The top seems loose, but the foot fits well, so they don't feel loose. I'm not sure if most people actually loosen the top buckle, put them on, them tighten that top buckle - or just slide them on. I guess I would like a smaller diameter shaft, but I'm not sure if that would keep me from putting them on easily. The leather seems thick and very nice - easily as nice as my Wolverine 1000's, although I can't imagine it compares to Wescos from a thickness standpoint. As a matter of fact, they remind quite a bit of the Wolverine 1000's. They are a little beefier, but not much. I'm not an Engineer, a biker, or a lumberjack - so I didn't need some diesel 4-wheel drive boot. I intend to wear them quite a bit, but I'm pretty easy on my shoes/boots. After a bit of wear, I'll decide if I want to upgrade to something much nicer. My overall impression is that they are pretty damn nice, but I wish the shaft was a little slimmer.
DSC_0154.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0155.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0156.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0157.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member