Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Not for me 'cause they were too big. The second one looked to have a reedless sweat.

What's your assessment, Scott?

I think the brim measurements had to be off lol I think you're right that the 2nd one is reedless, and maybe the 1st one was also - if the conditions is as stated, the deals were superb.

Hope someone here snagged them and can show us some better pictures - they really looked like JTL-collection hats lol

Dreispitz

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I think the brim measurements had to be off lol I think you're right that the 2nd one is reedless, and maybe the 1st one was also - if the conditions is as stated, the deals were superb.

Hope someone here snagged them and can show us some better pictures - they really looked like JTL-collection hats lol

I will send a picture once the light greenish? one is here. :rolleyes:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a formillion, used with a conformateur to shape a hat.
It's not a home stretcher, but rather a hat maker's tool.

The one sold appears to be missing a piece.
The conformateur is placed on the head to get both
size and more to the point shape of the head. This is
recorded by piercing a card with the shape. The hat maker
then cuts out the shape, following the piercings. This paper
is then placed in the formillion. The pegs are moved to be flush
with the paper, causing the outer pieces to reflect the shape
and size of the head. The formillion is then locked down and
put inside the hat during heating and finishing.

The one sold in that auction appears to be missing the piece
that holds the card stock head-shape paper. It was still a steal of a price.
Would have been at ten times the price.

There are many postings here on this subject and many
on the web. Here's one:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/13131

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Tom 'n Jerry

!BrQmyQgBWk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEvCCpCcRGBLy5SIRwmQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_500wt_1182

Chinaski

One Too Many
jeffconnors said:

This may lend credence to the theory that it's not Loungers driving up Whippet prices. I would think most Loungers would not be put off by the poor marketing of this listing - the seller had the brim down all around. I would surmise a higher price would have been obtained if the brim was in normal "Whippet" style, up in back and down in front. So the unusual styling scared people off. That's my theory anyway...or I could be full of hot air!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
This may lend credence to the theory that it's not Loungers driving up Whippet prices. I would think most Loungers would not be put off by the poor marketing of this listing - the seller had the brim down all around. I would surmise a higher price would have been obtained if the brim was in normal "Whippet" style, up in back and down in front. So the unusual styling scared people off. That's my theory anyway...or I could be full of hot air!

Then who would be doing it? Lounge lurkers is the only reasonable theory I've seen.

Chinaski

One Too Many
As I said, I could be full of hot air. But really, would you be scared off by the presentation of that Whippet? I wouldn't be (although I wasn't bidding on this hat) but I think others must have been. It's kind of like getting a low price on a great vintage fedora that is pictured open crowned and listed as a derby or bowler.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call it cheap...Its actually a realistic price more in accord with how common the hat is and its quality level(Only Royal, not particularly old or exceptionally pristine). Its still higher than less common and sometimes better quality examples of the same style made by others. Ignoring color and size for simplification, there were 12 wide-brim Whippets sold that come up in Completed Listings with those two words in the title in the last 14 days, this was the only one that didn't break $200.00. More were sold that would not appear by this search method. Check such competitors as Dobbs Hanover Square(0) or Resistol Pace-Setter(0). Classic style yes, but it was a Stetson bestseller in basically the same form for about 30 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe