Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Don't see many of these:
http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!BqtGPgQBmk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEvBsihq4fBLwi)hH9h!~~_12.JPG[/IMG
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220592022628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_956[/url][/QUOTE]

I can't believe that it didn't sell the first week it was up. IMO, that and the Knox are two of the best hats to have hit the bay in a while.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I'm optimistic about this Cavanagh (my first) . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330426030206

Any guesses as to this hat's age? It doesn't look particularly old to my eye, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of more experienced members.

366266040_o.jpg

366266150_o.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
I'd say that cav is pre-50's - no plastic tip. It is in really nice shape. I had bid on it, a nuisance bid, and was really fearful that I'd win it. I already have too many brown cav-edge fedoras, so I am glad you stepped up to take it. It deserves to be worn OFTEN.

Here is another that I had a nuisance bid on, but nobody stepped up to challenge me on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110522567285&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT crying shame that nobody thought this hat was worth $30 - it appears to be really nice. Maybe I'm getting blind, but I don't see anything wrong with this hat. On par with fine quality ORs; the Stetson name draws high bids, this fine Resistol was overlooked.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
barrowjh said:
Here is another that I had a nuisance bid on, but nobody stepped up to challenge me on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110522567285&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT crying shame that nobody thought this hat was worth $30 - it appears to be really nice. Maybe I'm getting blind, but I don't see anything wrong with this hat. On par with fine quality ORs; the Stetson name draws high bids, this fine Resistol was overlooked.

Dang, that is a shame. That's a beaut. If it had had the words "Open Road" in the title it wouldn't have gone so cheaply.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks for your thoughts on my Cavanagh. That Resistol sure looks like a great buy to me. I looked at it, but decided I'm not going too look good in a 3" brim.

Speaking of "nuisance bids," I rolled the dice on this badly listed Stetson Twenty Sovereign. It arrived yesterday and is pretty much in brand new condition, as the seller described, except that there are two moth divots the size of pin heads. It turned out to be a Mode Edge with a 2-1/4" brim, which suits me well, so I'm glad I rolled the dice.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm glad to see you guys are cherry picking some good deals here and there. It restores my faith in the ability to find a gem every now and then at a reasonable price. Good work, Barrowjh and SteveAS!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SteveAS said:
I'm optimistic about this Cavanagh (my first) . . .

Any guesses as to this hat's age? It doesn't look particularly old to my eye, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of more experienced members.

366266150_o.jpg
Mid to late 1950's as Cavanagh Hats New York and Gold Tag.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I'm going post-1961 on the Cavanagh, because of the liner.

Brad
What about the liner is different from late 50's to you? Claims to be 2-1/2" brim, sweatband shows nothing later about it.

barrowjh

One Too Many
My guess on the pre-50's date for the Cav was based solely on the lack of plastic liner (tip). I thought those had become standard by mid-50's, so this is an education for me.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
What about the liner is different from late 50's to you? Claims to be 2-1/2" brim, sweatband shows nothing later about it.

Because the address was officially (per U.S. trademark registration) removed from the liner in 1961. Granted, it probably disappeared a few years prior, say '58 or '59 or so, but I'm now using '61 to offer any kind of definitive date. I've got a Derby from the Derby revival period of '59 that's missing the address, but I can't date the Derby to '59 exactly, so it's not much help.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
My guess on the pre-50's date for the Cav was based solely on the lack of plastic liner (tip). I thought those had become standard by mid-50's, so this is an education for me.

The tip protectors start showing up really late on Cavanaghs. I don't have a year for it, but Cavanagh rarely, if ever, used them.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe