Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Almost positive I wouldn't sell my hat & case for that price...Nope, somebody else will have to do it after I kick off, hopefully many, many years from now! ;)

Voice whispering in your ear..."Sweetwater"...:D :D :D

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Yes, I was watching that one from the day it showed up. It's one of my programmed daily searches, for a Stetson 100 OR.

By my calculations, if it were a new one at current prices, it's a Stetson 800. Still, this one went for more than I would have figured.

Actually, while I still look for one, I don't know as I'd ever actually go for one. I had Art make me a clone of one and so once I had that on my head, the desire for a 100 rather faded.

Later!

Stan

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Looking at the money those two hats went for, one can easily conclude that there must be have been a few years between them.
Let me see...$185 vs. $520...that makes...wait a moment...ah, yes, that would make two years and two month, no? :p :D ;)

I'm sure the purchaser of the $520 one will be thrilled, and Jimmy got a fantastic deal, but...isn't the most recent one from the '60s? and jtl's is 1950's? Wasn't there a diminishment in Stetson felt quality over that timeframe?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Flagship Box

I won a Stetson Flagship box for only $40!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380203670107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I have seen those go for as much as $200, and often for more than $100, but until this one, had never seen one sell for less than $50. I have a beautiful chocolate brown flagship in mint condition, and the Bing Crosby magazine add showing him wearing the exact same hat, and have been pining for a box for a long, long time to sort of complete the package. I have not been willing to pay over $50 for a box. The 6 7/8 bowler is a kicker, maybe my daughter will want it.

JTL - done as requested.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
I have a beautiful chocolate brown flagship in mint condition, and the Bing Crosby magazine add showing him wearing the exact same hat

Hey, John -- if you get a chance, could you please post that flagship in this thread? (The Bing Crosby ad would also be great). ;)

Thanks!

JtL

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful gray Knox Vagabond in 6 7/8 went for almost nothing. I have other fish to fry at the moment, so I didn't bid...stupid me! :p ;)

!BlPBw5wCGk~$(KGrHqEH-DEEtnHGY-GsBL,z)Vbhs!~~_3.JPG

This one would be a surefire candidate for the Loose Affiliation of Ribbons Neither Wide nor Thin (god bless copy & paste!).

Congrats JB! A good home for your Flagship... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
barrowjh said:
I won a Stetson Flagship box for only $40!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380203670107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I have seen those go for as much as $200, and often for more than $100, but until this one, had never seen one sell for less than $50. I have a beautiful chocolate brown flagship in mint condition, and the Bing Crosby magazine add showing him wearing the exact same hat, and have been pining for a box for a long, long time to sort of complete the package. I have not been willing to pay over $50 for a box. The 6 7/8 bowler is a kicker, maybe my daughter will want it.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
CRH said:
I think that $500+ is still way less, relatively, than paying $100 for the hat when it was new.

Yep you're right there. $100 was 10 times the cost of an entry-level Stetson back then. By that reckoning, it's the equivalent of over $1000 today.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Gray Whippet arrived today

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140379663960&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I figured the bidding would sail by my rather conservative snipe - imagine my shock upon learning I'd won given what Whippets have been going for lately. Then I worried that I'd missed some flaw. After seeing it I can only assume that bidders were put off by the mention of stains even though they were clearly on the interior liner.

It came today, and it looks very good, just a light cleaning is all it will need. This photo makes it look a little dingy but I think that's just the way the shadows hit it. This is closer to the actual color too, the auction photos were lighter:

4349326869_31e88dbed7.jpg

The auction photos didn't show the bow side - had me a little concerned but not to worry:

4349322905_dab1a757e5.jpg

Interior is good except for a little foxing around the crown, no wear at all on the sweat:

4349333909_08706aa68e.jpg

Noggin shot:

4350072142_de6a38824e.jpg

The sweat is a little stiff; I'm going to give it the Lexol treatment before I try to peel it back. The brylcreme shield is plastic so I'm thinking early-mid 50s??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken