Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
:eusa_doh: I went to the two threads on hat ads and yes, there were feathers in fedoras before the 1950s, but if the ads are an indication of how popular they were, then the feathers did not become popular until the 1950s. In the earlier period ads there might be one fedora with a feather in a group of 4 or 5 on a page. In the 1950s ads, maybe half of the fedoras are sporting feathers, along with some shorter brims - so -
my earlier estimate about Draco's find was too narrow a range - that hat could have come from the mid 1950s, but I think it is unlikely that it is older than that.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Well, before we get into full-on "eBay gone wild" mode, I'll admit that the Borso "Misto" is heading my way. More than I figured on spending? Yes. But I think it promises to be an extraordinary lid -- light brown heather felt with a cav edge and a beautiful ribbon treatment...

That looks to be a stonker! Way to go, Mr. Lid.

You should have some extra spring in your gait now that your wallet is suddenly so much lighter. :D lol

Marc-Ange Draco

New in Town
Marc-Ange Draco said:
I don't know a great deal about hats yet, only what i have soaked up by lurking here for a few days.

This seems fairly modern to my uneducated eyes but i think it looks very nice, any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220529097854

The homburg style brim looks confusing to me since the edge doesn't look right but as i said before "I know nothing!" lol

I will obviously get a better look once it arrives and will try and post more details or pictures then, many thanks for the answers gentlemen.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc-Ange Draco said:
The homburg style brim looks confusing to me since the edge doesn't look right but as i said before "I know nothing!" lol

I will obviously get a better look once it arrives and will try and post more details or pictures then, many thanks for the answers gentlemen.
Fedora, not homburg. And it could be as old as the 50s, but we'll need
to see better photos. The "fifteen" designation probably didn't see a lot
of use later than the 50s I'd guess and that felt looks nice. The top of
the liner may not be protected with plastic, which might also place it
older than the 60s.

Ephraim Tutt said:
King Edward VII liked a feather in his hat
edward.jpg

That looks like a boar hair brush.

Levallois

Practically Family
Please forgive the t-shirt but it's the lull on Xmas Day before I dress up for the big extended family celebration - I'll take another photo then but I'm too excited to wait. Henry H. Roelofs hat - medium grey - 5 3/4 crown and 2 1/2 brim - consensus late 30s-early 40s. It's in an unworn/as-new condition. Thanks for looking and happy holidays.

DSC01102.jpg

John

billysmom

One Too Many
Levallois said:
Please forgive the t-shirt but it's the lull on Xmas Day before I dress up for the big extended family celebration - I'll take another photo then but I'm too excited to wait. Henry H. Roelofs hat - medium grey - 5 3/4 crown and 2 1/2 brim - consensus late 30s-early 40s. It's in an unworn/as-new condition. Thanks for looking and happy holidays.

DSC01102.jpg

John

That's a very special lid. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thanks for posting!

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
I've been eyeing this as a Buy-It-Now for awhile and finally it was listed at auction:

BorsaHomburg.jpg

BH2.jpg

Patience rewarded!

Sue

Nice. I have one of those old Zateff Borsalinos with the same interior as yours - a very comfortable hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just sold this one. Really a fantastic hat- I bought it as a $0.99 6-3/4 "Stentson", turned out to be 7-5/8 and in perfect shape. It's the only Three Way I've ever run across, and a really interesting hat. It goes to further nailing down the transition of the size tag from gold to manila. This one's the late '30s- c.1942 one, where the tag is gold, but not the earlier '30s gold embossed foil.

During the course of the auction, it hit $395, but the two high bidders withdrew their bids, both claiming to have "entered the wrong bid amount". Seemed more like preemptive buyers remorse- with the hat actually reaching the high bids which neither was willing to pay. And that's against ebay policy- but there's no way to prove it. It still ended up doing well, but the difference between what was bid and what it ended for would have paid for a month of groceries. Oh well.

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

P1010145.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
During the course of the auction, it hit $395, but the two high bidders withdrew their bids, both claiming to have "entered the wrong bid amount". Seemed more like preemptive buyers remorse- with the hat actually reaching the high bids which neither was willing to pay. And that's against ebay policy- but there's no way to prove it. It still ended up doing well, but the difference between what was bid and what it ended for would have paid for a month of groceries. Oh well.

Looks like the guy with 228 feedback placed a high bid to see what the other guy's max bid was, then retracted it once he knew.

Apparently the other guy didn't like that 228 had exposed his high bid (and I don't blame him), so he pulled back his bid as well. Really, that's all he could do; otherwise, other bidders could run him right up to his max, just for the heck of it.

billysmom

One Too Many
jeffconnors said:
I just won This, a little too small..but I have been bitten by the hat bug...
Can anyone tell me why I got it so cheap...It seems that "Guild Edge" "Twenty" Hats usually go for quite a lot...

It's a small size and you got lucky! Congratulations - there will be many more .... :D .

Sue

RBH

Bartender
Levallois said:

DSC01102.jpg

John
Very nice!
I think it looks fine with the T-shirt.
I like what I can see of the sun glasses also!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken