Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:

Coincidence. I saw that hat, but forgot all about it. There have been a number of campaign hats listed lately on ebay as 'Boss of the Plains'.

I think the post you are referring to was over the one Dinerman showed in the 'pre 1940 Stetson Westerns' thread that went for about $350 a couple of weeks ago. I actually emailed that guy while the auction was running, and got a very sarcastic remark back. I think that guy's success may have led to the one you mention getting described as "Boss of the Plains" also.

Basically, any old western-looking hat with a tall crown is a Stetson "Tom Mix" (and gets bashed accordingly), and anything with a short crown is a Stetson "Boss of the Plains" (and gets the campaign dents removed).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Alt Wiener Velour

!Bhk9D2QCGk~$(KGrHqYH-CwEsMp6C!RLBLJwLtKr)!~~_12.JPG
!Bhk9IWQBmk~$(KGrHqQH-D4EsL,FZBLJwL9IDf!~~_12.JPG

!Bhk9NVg!2k~$(KGrHqIH-CYEsLCt-zpkBLJwMT2Tt!~~_12.JPG

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Wanted to add - the sweatband stamp on that hat looks a little odd. Not sure why.
That style logo was trademarked mid-1930's.
4204681003_5cea22f64a_o.gif

Word Mark STETSON AMERICAN MANUFACTURE JOHN B STETSON COMPANY NEW YORK PARIS LONDON PHILADELPHIA
Goods and Services IC 025. US 039. G & S: MEN'S AND BOYS' FELT AND STRAW HATS AND CLOTH CAPS; MEN'S SILK HATS AND FELT AND STRAW HATS FOR WOMEN AND CHILDREN. FIRST USE: 19300800. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19300800
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Filing Date September 25, 1935
Registration Number 0333198
Registration Date March 10, 1936
Owner (REGISTRANT) JOHN B. STETSON COMPANY, THE CORPORATION PENNSYLVANIA FIFTH STREET AND MONTGOMERY AVENUE PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
yeah, but it's 20s or 30s, and I've heard talk that it might be made of otter. :p

I just spent a little more time reading the ebay description for that hat. I remember thinking that given all of the obvious Campaign hat signs (holes in side, strap-holes, remnants of campaign bash, "stiff brim"), there was no way he would get much for it, but .... never underestimate the ignorance of ebay bidders. If this guy would have steamed the crown a little he might have gotten $500.

He can now change his ebay handle to: Boss_of_the_Plain_ol_idiots

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
That style logo was trademarked mid-1930's.

I've seen the logo - even have hats with it - just don't remember ever seeing it stamped on the leather sweatband and looking quite like that. Maybe it's just a rough embossing job, or the texture/color of the leather are odd.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I've seen the logo - even have hats with it - just don't remember ever seeing it stamped on the leather sweatband and looking quite like that. Maybe it's just a rough embossing job, or the texture/color of the leather are odd.
the leather is smoother than usual and its"real nutria quality" not "nutria quality". Which makes one wonder...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well, before we get into full-on "eBay gone wild" mode, I'll admit that the Borso "Misto" is heading my way. More than I figured on spending? Yes. But I think it promises to be an extraordinary lid -- light brown heather felt with a cav edge and a beautiful ribbon treatment...

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Dreispitz

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Well, before we get into full-on "eBay gone wild" mode, I'll admit that the Borso "Misto" is heading my way. More than I figured on spending? Yes. But I think it promises to be an extraordinary lid -- light brown heather felt with a cav edge and a beautiful ribbon treatment...

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

It´s got it all: Borso, vintage, felted edge, unusual - nice - colour! I have to admit, I went for it, too. However, I was not the second highest bidder.

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:

BorsalinoMisto.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I've got one in a lighter color. It is a truly great hat and worthy of the price you paid. It has been said again and again but they just cannot reproduce these things anymore like they used to.

Mine is kind of speckled and I would be interested to know if yours is the same. Great lid, Jimmy! :)

Dreispitz

One Too Many
M_Jones said:
This would be my second big disappointment of the day....Scott nabbed the first hat I was sure I was going to win and I am guessing one of you all won this....Sigh.....What a great looking hat....

Ah, the auction was for the hat :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken