Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The fedora/homburg discussion reminded me of how the Stetson "Stetsonian" was marketed over the years. Stetson ads from the 40's show the Stetsonian being styled as a traditional snap-brim fedora, but this particular hat was also marketed as a quasi-homburg, if you will. Same hat, but different styling choices. Here are examples of the "Homburg" treatment:

stetson1923.jpg

stetson15.jpg

StetsonStetsonian1949.jpg

stetson28.jpg

51Stetsonian-Peacock.jpg

And here it is, fedora-style:

stetson1946.jpg

StetsonStetsonian1947.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Could be, huh? Case in point: the hat in the '20s poster below. Sort of a cross between a fedora and a homburg. So ... is it a fomburg? Or maybe a homdora? lol

]
4134874268_63420cd0f9_o.jpg
[

FEDOMBURG :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Could be, huh? Case in point: the hat in the '20s poster below. Sort of a cross between a fedora and a homburg. So ... is it a fomburg? Or maybe a homdora? lol

]
4134874268_63420cd0f9_o.jpg
[

I don't know, but I want one!

Levallois

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Too bad it's had the sweatband and ribbon replaced. If it originally came with that raw edge, then it's a rare Cavanagh. Nice Cavanagh felt.

Brad

Well no wonder I won it! Education is expensive. On the other hand, I bought it to wear and not as an investment so all is not lost. It's a 1940s Cavanagh felt hat in an unusual color and a large size. I think I'll keep it.

John

Marc Chevalier said:

Thanks, Jimmy -- now I'm more confused than ever. ;)

Actually, it's the most economical dress hat there is: 2 in 1.

RLK, what do you think? Can a fedora ever be a homburg, and vice-versa?

I wouldn't consider any of those Stetson's Homburgs. There isn't enough side curl IMHO. Most of the Knapps fit the bill.

What would you call this?

4017227608_eea8055c67_b.jpg

4017228018_fc951e0bea_b.jpg

I would say Homburg.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Next time I go to a restaurant I'll just order a fhomburga. ;) lol

Did anybody here land this mean green fuzzy?

It's too small for 'jimmy the lid' but I'm sure he was drooling over it. :D

What a beauty! This was a good hat day. Thing about that seller - he puts the size in the title if it's 7 1/4 or bigger, so I don't even have to open his auctions that don't have sizes in the title.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
I wouldn't consider any of those Stetson's Homburgs. There isn't enough side curl IMHO. Most of the Knapps fit the bill.

What would you call this?

4017227608_eea8055c67_b.jpg

I would say Homburg.

I would call it a Hombug...I mean 'Homburg' (but only because Brad taught me to call it that :)). Cavanagh used to do some Homburgs that way and I once tried to turn one into a fedora.

But if you gave it a diamond bash with a tight front pinch, added a thin Open Road style ribbon...then what do you have?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

Thanks, Jimmy -- now I'm more confused than ever. ;)

Actually, it's the most economical dress hat there is: 2 in 1.

RLK, what do you think? Can a fedora ever be a homburg, and vice-versa?

I think they are kind of their own category. Its a soft hat with an almost derby-like flanging(sometimes), more casual than the Homburg but generally shorter more curled brim than what is later associated with the Fedora. The center crease seems to be almost universal as well as the overwelt rather than binding. It appears to us now as a crossover(brings to mind cars regrettably) but I don't really think it was. More of a holdover from earlier hats, not stiff like Derbies or formal like Top Hats or even Homburgs nor wide brimmed for the Outdoorsman. The youthful Casual urban hat. I think the more specific and rigid more-formal style "Homburg" we think of today developed from this as well as the generally wider ,flatter brim versatile "Fedora". A common ancestor living alongside its descendants, then dying off during the depression.
The Stetsonian and Open Roads are more split personality hats that have fairly wide brims that can be worn either way(usually with associated crease also different). I'm not sure the term "Fedora" was so common or used over as wide a style range as modern American usage. At any rate, the terms are not exactly scientific. Just call it "Harry".

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
I think they are kind of their own category. Its a soft hat with an almost derby-like flanging(sometimes), more casual than the Homburg but generally shorter more curled brim than what is later associated with the Fedora. The center crease seems to be almost universal as well as the overwelt rather than binding. It appears to us now as a crossover(brings to mind cars regrettably) but I don't really think it was. More of a holdover from earlier hats, not stiff like Derbies or formal like Top Hats or even Homburgs nor wide brimmed for the Outdoorsman. The youthful Casual urban hat. I think the more specific and rigid more-formal style developed from this as well as the generally wider brim and versatile fedora. More common ancestor living along with descendants then dying off after the depression.
The Stetsonian and Open Roads are more split personality hats that have fairly wide brims that can be worn either way(usually with associated crease also different). I'm not sure the term "Fedora" was so common or used over as wide a style range as modern American usage. At any rate, the terms are not exactly scientific. Just call it "Harry".

Well-said.

And now for something completely different, a reward for rlk's research dilligence:

rat_name2.jpg

330080743_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken