Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I recently read somewhere here about sellers' ability to measure hat circumference correctly. Recently, I've asked two sellers to measure circumference, one for a size 7 1/4 and one for a size 7 3/8. Both measured at 22 inches, which would not be correct for either size. What has your experience been?

Bob, I cut them a lot of slack - keep in mind that most people just wear hats and if they're too big, they put a piece of felt in, and if they're too small, they cram them on. Also, hardly anyone has a flexible tape measure, much less knows how to measure a hat with one. And then there are the exaggerinators who try to skim you for an extra few $$$'s, but they are a minority.

When I buy a hat on ebay, I just hope the seller is astute enough to read the size tag correctly. Seriously, I've received items sold as 7 1/4, that literally had a 7 1/8 tag hanging out (twice!). On the flip side, bought a Borsalino sold as a 7 5/8 that had a 7 3/8 tag hanging out (I could even see it in the picture).

...off my soap box. Ebay is a crapshoot - you'll win and lose, but if your karma is okay, you'll break even or end up ahead :)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Some have no idea what circumference means. I have tried to give very explicit instructions, including the recommendation to use removable blue painter's masking tape to get an accurate number. Many sellers know absolutely nothing about hats (no surprise). I have explained that an accurate measurement or picture of the size tag will add value to their auction. And still get answers: "it's about 7 1/2 inches by 6 3/4 inches;" "the label says 7 3/8 R and measures 28 inches around the brim;" and so on ad nauseum. One seller maintained his Stetson was a size 17.50 even when I gently explained it was probably the original price.

Even if the size tag is there, it's no guarantee of fit. I have a '40's Stetson western 7 1/2 LO that's tight and two 60's OR 7 1/2. One's loose enough to need padding and one fits about right. I have a Number 1 Quality Western in 7 5/8 LO that fits, and a modern Stetson 7 5/8 LO that won't hold enough padding to snug up so I'm working on "adjustments."

I know that anything I can't try on is a crap shoot and I factor that into what I'm willing to pay. I've bought 6 or 7 hats on Ebay. One was a total bust because I thought I was outsmarting the seller (who said you can't cheat an honest man?). A couple of others were disappointing because of ignorance on my part. The others were about what I expected. I've never opened the box and thought, "WOW."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Hey, that's my hat! ...almost

Lefty said:
beautiful Knox 20, 7 1/8
may22ffimg_5796.jpg

Amazing, that's almost exactly the same hat I received in the mail yesterday, only mine's nowhere near that shape. If that were a 7 1/4, it would have been mine at any reasonable price....unless JtL wanted it :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
BobC said:
I recently read somewhere here about sellers' ability to measure hat circumference correctly. Recently, I've asked two sellers to measure circumference, one for a size 7 1/4 and one for a size 7 3/8. Both measured at 22 inches, which would not be correct for either size. What has your experience been?

I also ask for the length and width of the opening and use an ellipse calculator to estimate the circumference. Its not perfect, but usually closer than someone using a tape measure. For instance an opening of 8x6.5 will give you a circumference of 22.898 which to me is close enough to estimate a 7 3/8.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:

I guide them on looking under the sweat for labels and notes. I also share with them the trick of using a cut strip of file folder (two lengths taped together usually does it) to place inside the hat and mark, then compare to a measuring tape when flattened back out.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
I guide them on looking under the sweat for labels and notes. I also share with them the trick of using a cut strip of file folder (two lengths taped together usually does it) to place inside the hat and mark, then compare to a measuring tape when flattened back out.

That's a good idea, Gene, or the blue painter's tape. The one I asked most recently seemed to be offended that I asked her to recheck her measurement even though her stated circumference didn't fit with the clearly pictured size tag.

Feraud

Bartender
The cut folder is a good idea for measuring the inside of a fedora.

BobC said:
The one I asked most recently seemed to be offended that I asked her to recheck her measurement even though her stated circumference didn't fit with the clearly pictured size tag.
I have to ask.. if the size tag was pictured why did you need a measurement?

tortswon

Practically Family
Warning about eBay seller zachanick

After years of generally satisfactory dealings on eBay, I finally encountered a seller who now has the distinction of receiving my first ever negative feedback. The hat which is the subject of this unfortunate affair is pictured in entry 4206 of this thread.

The hat was listed as a 7 1/2 on eBay. The listing also said the hat was sold "as is." When I received the hat, it was a 7 1/4 and was so labeled inside the hat. Figuring it was an honest mistake, I wrote a polite email to the seller informing her that the hat was incorrectly listed as a 7 1/2 rather than a 7 1/4. Amazingly, she responded that the hat was sold "as is" and she was not going to refund my money. I posted negative feedback and instituted a PayPal dispute. She responded to the negative feedback saying that I just didn't like the hat and that was the basis for my negative feedback. That statement is untrue, the only thing I did not like was the misrepresented size of the hat.

PayPal resolved the dispute in my favor. In reviewing her feedback, it appears that she sells hats regularly. Beware of this seller. Best, Sam

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
tortswon said:
After years of generally satisfactory dealings on eBay, I finally encountered a seller who now has the distinction of receiving my first ever negative feedback. The hat which is the subject of this unfortunate affair is pictured in entry 4206 of this thread.

The hat was listed as a 7 1/2 on eBay. The listing also said the hat was sold "as is." When I received the hat, it was a 7 1/4 and was so labeled inside the hat. Figuring it was an honest mistake, I wrote a polite email to the seller informing her that the hat was incorrectly listed as a 7 1/2 rather than a 7 1/4. Amazingly, she responded that the hat was sold "as is" and she was not going to refund my money. I posted negative feedback and instituted a PayPal dispute. She responded to the negative feedback saying that I just didn't like the hat and that was the basis for my negative feedback. That statement is untrue, the only thing I did not like was the misrepresented size of the hat.

PayPal resolved the dispute in my favor. In reviewing her feedback, it appears that she sells hats regularly. Beware of this seller. Best, Sam

There are certainly plenty of ebayers trying to eek out extra $$$'s through misrepresenting their items...but hats? C'mon - if you lie about the size of a hat, then the buyer simply can't wear it. Don't they realize this? It's not like other items, where white lies don't kill the usefulness of the item.

Her punishment should be that she should be forced to wear underwear one size too small.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tortswon said:
The hat which is the subject of this unfortunate affair is pictured in entry 4206 of this thread.

Sam -- since that particular post doesn't provide a link to the auction, can you just go ahead and tell us the Seller ID so that we can be on the alert?

Thanks,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe