Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
When I click on the link, the images of the trademarks don't show up. I only see boxes with the words "Image Unavailable" inside them.

Many of them never had a graphic representation registered at the time, so no images to associate with them, even on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website.

Brad

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
jlee, hatguys.com also do some custom stuff, they just don't advertise it.

I know they offered reblocks and what not....do you know if they do that in house or if they send it out?

I brought my 3X Open Road down there to get cleaned, and despite the fact that I asked for it open crown, and I saw her write it on the tag, it came back with a (sloppy) c-crease, and they used glue on the previously sewn in liner. I was bit peeved about that experience. It's not really Hat Guy's fault per se, but if I had known that their cleaner was going to glue a liner back into a vintage hat, I wouldn't have taken it there.

Just a couple of additional notes on the Ovalized Sixteenths trademark - here is a Knox with NRA label... sweatband mark instead of size label, but interesting to see the trademark referenced in the mid 1930s. And some auction photos of a later Knox with the ovalized sixteenths size label... similar era to the Dunlap, I suspect.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello everyone, as this thread is concerning eBay, I wanted to bring to everyone's attention of a scam that is hitting ebay concerning purchases and I sure hope with all my best, it does not happen to anyone else, it has happened to my Wife two times this week already and is very un cool! Sellers can use the same "tracking" information on a purchased item that they never send to you, but send anything at all to your "zip code".....it will show delivered and they have your money. Hard one to fight, and I hope so dearly it does not happen to anyone else here. As of to day, this has cost a bit and time consuming to hassle with eBay to try to explain it all but it seems to be a growing concern. No matter what I deeply care about all of the members of the Lounge, some are like family to me and mine. If any of the bartenders desire to move this post on this thread, that is O.K. but please, this is important for people to know. I feel bad enough it happened to me, but I would hate to see it start to happen to others and as right now, I have no clue if eBay will actually do anything to resolve it, very hard when a seller has a "delivered" confirmation on the sellers side of things. It has my Wife a nervous wreck and she is probably going to close down her eBay and pay pal account over this. I also hope no one feels this is not appropriate for me to make mention on this topic,as my only reason is out of concern towards others that I would even say anything about it.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, as this thread is concerning eBay, I wanted to bring to everyone's attention of a scam that is hitting ebay concerning purchases and I sure hope with all my best, it does not happen to anyone else, it has happened to my Wife two times this week already and is very un cool! Sellers can use the same "tracking" information on a purchased item that they never send to you, but send anything at all to your "zip code".....it will show delivered and they have your money. Hard one to fight, and I hope so dearly it does not happen to anyone else here. As of to day, this has cost a bit and time consuming to hassle with eBay to try to explain it all but it seems to be a growing concern. No matter what I deeply care about all of the members of the Lounge, some are like family to me and mine. If any of the bartenders desire to move this post on this thread, that is O.K. but please, this is important for people to know. I feel bad enough it happened to me, but I would hate to see it start to happen to others and as right now, I have no clue if eBay will actually do anything to resolve it, very hard when a seller has a "delivered" confirmation on the sellers side of things. It has my Wife a nervous wreck and she is probably going to close down her eBay and pay pal account over this. I also hope no one feels this is not appropriate for me to make mention on this topic,as my only reason is out of concern towards others that I would even say anything about it.

Sorry to hear of your problems. IMHO such a topic fits right into this thread. Like any sort of financial transaction there will always be some fraud coming from buyers and sellers and it definitely sucks!

Not exactly clear to me exactly what is being done based on the description. Perhaps you could explain it a little more what you mean by same tracking info and your zipcode.

Was this more than one transaction with the same seller? Do they have a long history on ebay and a solid feedback history? Lots of sales by the seller? Of course anything is possible but pretty crazy for an established seller to commit fraud or make a mistake, but then again anything is possible. I had to initiate an action when a seller failed to ship the item after several weeks. Once I did then they shipped it--and this was an established seller with positive history...

Seems you need to prove nothing was ever shipped to your address. The carrier claims something was delivered when nothing was? What about fighting the paypal/credit card transaction from that angle?

I suppose there are other ways to get even should you end up not getting resolution! :eek:

We'll all be interested to hear how this plays out. Good luck!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
To clearly state as much as I can, a seller can send anything to a zip code with "delivery confirmation" merely shows it went to that zip code and nothing more, and not have your actual address information on the package. My actual postal carrier has been helpful to try to find out what is ongoing as are the people working in the post office, but the packages in question did not come to my address and the post office does not recall the packages being placed into anyone's route! As they stated the packages are large enough someone would have remembered, but they did recall many small envelopes being delivered and at this time felt the confirmation number was on a envelope rather than on a box with shoes or a hat in them...get the picture now right? Total scam and so very sad. Ebay so far has stated that the delivery confirmation shows things got delivered and how can I really prove other wise? They will not contact the post office and the post office although wanting to help out will only do so much. They deliver what they were to deliver per what is on the outside of an envelope or a box, it is all the same to them, they have no way to know something was to go to me, and if the sender sends a envelope only to any address at the zip code, how can anyone prove different?? My Wife will be contacting eBay again tomorrow to see what they are willing to do as of now, they did not sound too promising to resolve this issue and would only state they will ask the seller for their side of the story. The seller refuses to respond to anything sent to them from our end in question of where is the item......!

I guess from a personal point of view, I treasure the honesty from most sellers and buyers for that matter. If you ever buy from me, or my Wife if she sells anything, we always watch the tracking information to make sure things go along the best we can and make sure it gets into the hands of whom purchased anything, and safely without damage. I will even fix something if needs to be fixed before sending because what you do is who you are, your word means a lot to say about who you are as a person. Honesty and integrity still does count for the most part in life. I know it sure means a lot here on the Lounge for sure.

Oh yes, this also has happened with two different sellers not just one seller!

Last edited:

EggHead

Practically Family
I discussed replacing a sweatband with them, they said bring it in, we have 2 kinds and you can choose. They also offered to replace a ribbon while I waited. So I assumed they do it in-house. Sorry to hear about your experience. On the other hand, I wasn't too happy with Paul's - one time they replaced a ribbon and sewn through the liner. Maybe I should have left clear instructions not to..

I know they offered reblocks and what not....do you know if they do that in house or if they send it out?

I brought my 3X Open Road down there to get cleaned, and despite the fact that I asked for it open crown, and I saw her write it on the tag, it came back with a (sloppy) c-crease, and they used glue on the previously sewn in liner. I was bit peeved about that experience. It's not really Hat Guy's fault per se, but if I had known that their cleaner was going to glue a liner back into a vintage hat, I wouldn't have taken it there.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just a couple of additional notes on the Ovalized Sixteenths trademark - here is a Knox with NRA label... sweatband mark instead of size label, but interesting to see the trademark referenced in the mid 1930s. And some auction photos of a later Knox with the ovalized sixteenths size label... similar era to the Dunlap, I suspect.
Interesting. I'd remembered seeing it on sweatbands on older hats, but hadn't remembered that it also said trademark. Considering it was first used in 1933 according to the registration certificate, that's pretty new at the time. I guess I need to look at earlier laws, too.

Thanks, Alan!

Brad

Walt

One of the Regulars
To clearly state as much as I can, a seller can send anything to a zip code with "delivery confirmation" merely shows it went to that zip code and nothing more, and not have your actual address information on the package.

The clarification helps. I take it the seller used your confirmed zip code and perhaps picked some random real address in your zip code. And the post office has no record of the address that it was sent to? That doesn't give me much confidence in them!

My actual postal carrier has been helpful to try to find out what is ongoing as are the people working in the post office, but the packages in question did not come to my address and the post office does not recall the packages being placed into anyone's route! As they stated the packages are large enough someone would have remembered, but they did recall many small envelopes being delivered and at this time felt the confirmation number was on a envelope rather than on a box with shoes or a hat in them...get the picture now right? Total scam and so very sad.

If you can prove the packaging sent was way too small perhaps that can work in your favor. Does make one wonder if the address they picked was someone they knew or they just sent envelopes to anyone. Unfortunately this doesn't constitute mail fraud by Federal Postal Code otherwise the postmaster could possibly do something.

Ebay so far has stated that the delivery confirmation shows things got delivered and how can I really prove other wise? They will not contact the post office and the post office although wanting to help out will only do so much. They deliver what they were to deliver per what is on the outside of an envelope or a box, it is all the same to them, they have no way to know something was to go to me, and if the sender sends a envelope only to any address at the zip code, how can anyone prove different??

You would need some sort of record of the size or weight of what was shipped. I think UPS and FedEx has that info, but USPS apparently not. The USPS should have a record of the delivery address for a delivery confirmed mailing and the fact that they do not seems to be a huge oversight and weakness in their system. Again, I think UPS and FedEx would have that info. Doesn't give me a positive impression of USPS. I've had bad experience with all shippers, but I must say that USPS continues to go down hill for me. They once threw all my mail out and there was nothing I could do---a long story so I have no love for them. I imagine with loss of benefits and increasingly temp workers with no benefits there can't be high moral there. Then there are all the stories of postal workers throwing mail away instead of delivering it or putting it in storage lockers for years! But getting back to topic....

My Wife will be contacting eBay again tomorrow to see what they are willing to do as of now, they did not sound too promising to resolve this issue and would only state they will ask the seller for their side of the story. The seller refuses to respond to anything sent to them from our end in question of where is the item......!

Short of getting the postal service to state the item was addressed to another address or it was an envelope or something too small to have been what you're expecting then eBay may not do anything. At that point I'd try Paypal and your Credit Card company to dispute it there. I realize Paypal probably won't do anything if eBay says there is no problem, but perhaps the Credit card will and certainly worth a try.

Unfortunately there are many known seller and buyer scams out there. I haven't checked the books, websites or online blogs about this particular one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't mentioned already. A seller could always ship a package with something else or a buyer could lie and say the package wasn't what they had bought for example. Who's to say otherwise? I suppose an established seller with a stellar record could always decide to scam a few buyers on occasion expecting their stellar record would protect them (crazy strategy for sure).

We as buyers and sellers operate on the hope (foolish?) that we won't get the shaft because there is such a large number of transactions with the vast majority being honest and legit.

I guess don't use any method of shipping that doesn't provide a record of where it was shipped to an what size and/or weight it was. Perhaps require that a signature be required or it be held at the post office or other carrier's location for photo-id pickup as another option.

It must be the seller scam of the week and there are probably buyer scams as well. Unfortunately they all run in cycles....

Again, good luck!

Lovemyhats2- Sorry to hear of your ebay problem.

Before paying for an item the buyer should clearly request that the item be sent with delivery comfirmation and signature. However,
The seller could still send you a pair of gloves instead of that nice fedora you won.
I try to only buy from established sellers with a top notch feedback rating.

Hats, I hope you get the justice you seek. I further would add the sellers name to alert others of this person. Just my .02

Best regards
CCJ

Mystic

Practically Family
I guess from a personal point of view, I treasure the honesty from most sellers and buyers for that matter. If you ever buy from me, or my Wife if she sells anything, we always watch the tracking information to make sure things go along the best we can and make sure it gets into the hands of whom purchased anything, and safely without damage. I will even fix something if needs to be fixed before sending because what you do is who you are, your word means a lot to say about who you are as a person. Honesty and integrity still does count for the most part in life. I know it sure means a lot here on the Lounge for sure.

Not much I can say or add except to empathize with your situation.

Back in May of this year I had 3 buys in a row within 1 1/2 weeks that went bad. And, got no help or satisfaction from sellers or ebay.
So I can understand how this situation effects you and your wife.

At the risk of being chasten I will say, integrity, personal responsibility and customer satisfaction are almost extinct in society.
Caveat Emptor has become a defense rather than a warning.

Sorry to hear that the enjoyment of a purchase has been spoiled.

Sometimes I envy hermits.....they get screwed over a whole lot less than me.... [huh]

Hi Brad,

Here is the manufacturing label for the Wanderer. Went to compare to the other Dunlap Wanderer but the auction photos are already gone. Running out of town for a few days... will share additional photos of the hat when I return. Feels like a late 40s - 1950 hat... a more substantial felt than some of the other examples I've had in this genre.

wanderer1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe