Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
As far as films from the 80's go, Dirty Dancing certainly can be categorized as a classic of that decade. Kudos to Patrick Swayze for having brought the athletic dancer (ala Gene Kelly) back to the screen. :eusa_clap

"Nobody messes with Baby!" ~ Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze)
DirtyDancing325.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
K.D. Lightner said:
RIP Patrick, a gorgeous man.

I loved him in Ghost and Dirty Dancing, also in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, in which he portrayed a drag queen. He was the most personable man in drag since Tootsie.

karol

I *adored* him in To Wong Foo, and man could he work that 50s vintage.

LD

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I just read that Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul & Mary fame died at the age of 72.

I loved that group when I was in college, saw them perform in 1968.

RIP Mary.

karol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
GAP founder

Don Fisher, the Gap’s Founder, Dies at 81

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/business/29fisher.html?hpw

The founding of the first Gap store is recounted in company lore. In the mid-1960s, Mr. Fisher started a business buying and refurbishing old hotels, and when he bought one in Sacramento, he leased space to a blue jeans salesman from Levi’s, who used it for a showroom. When Mr. Fisher tried to buy a pair for himself there, however, he could not find a pair with a 31-inch inseam. Nor could he find a pair of that size in San Francisco department stores, which stocked Levi’s with 30-inch and 32-inch inseams but not 31.

That, according to the company Web site, was the “Aha!” moment: “ ‘What if,’ Don had mused, ‘someone put together all the styles, colors and sizes Levi Strauss had to offer in one store?’ ”

59Lark

Practically Family
great actor , the great detective.

this gentleman played the great detective a series that played in the 1980s here in canada and the cbc has now sold in china, and the chinese will be seeing his greatness now for a few years. the alexander graham bell homestead in brantford ont had a vhs tape with this actor portaying bell and he strolled through the brantford woods behind his home like bell would have and he spoke a poem or story bell wrote and it was timeless and i barely remember it, unfortunately the museum copy of that tape became worn out and they cant replace it. this has been a canadian moment. 59lark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe