Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Just bought this book which might shed some lights to your question.
View attachment 18925
J-21
View attachment 18926
notice the position of the D pocket and the belt loop?
View attachment 18927
However, the J-21 in this below link does not have the same D pocket configuration.
http://eijucraft.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/12/buco-j-21-proto.html
The author of that link states that the J-21 has a teardrop? epaulet which is different from J-22.
View attachment 18929

J-21 Epaulet(from ebay)
View attachment 18928

J-22 epaulet(from ebay)
View attachment 18930

You're a good man, Blackadder. Thank you for the solid! I've been asking this question for a few years now with most people simply saying "go buy the tinaka book" which I basically took to mean "go pound sand". Thx for opening up your copy and referencing it here for me and others. I found it odd that there was so much known info out there on the interwebs about every stitch of an A2, but next to nothing on the most iconic of all riders jackets (the Buco d pocket).

I can finally fall asleep now :lol:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad to be of service. Mine is not Rin Tanaka's book though. It is a Lightning magazine's special edition on vintage leather jacket not just motorcycle jacket that is issued in March 2014. I can't read Japanese but saw my friend's copy a couple of months ago and it's full of photos, so well....

Last edited:
Sorry to crap the thread with this but does anyone have more info about this H-D jacket - if that's what it actually is? Thanks!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I think that's a fairly new( under 10years) jacket. They did a heap of distressed jackets a few years ago. The thing to find out is where it's made. Many years ago when I bought my first leather jacket it was a Harley one, made in ?USA, several years ago they started making them in China, now in Indonesia too. I can't understand why they don't hook up with Schott or Langlitz and do a limited run of USA made jackets every year or two, because all the current stuff, and for the last few years is absolute rubbish.

Yeah, figured this isn't anything noteworthy but figured I'd ask as it does look okay, except for that ridiculous bird on the back. When did the leather embossing began, anyway? 80's I bet. Bunyip, do you know perhaps what was the approx. price range of these H-D distressed jackets back then?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I paid about $650 in 93 for my made in America(big eagle embossed in the back!)
We get gouged pretty hard on harley hear in Oz, but I remember about 4 years ago looking for a new one, and they were about $420-$480 brand new in USA. Over here they start at $700AUD. Crazy for what they are. If you want a Harley jacket, get a Billings. They are pretty collectable in a nice brown colour. If looking at the newer ones I would go a Panhead 2. It's like a dark seal brown, with removable sleeves and becomes an OK riding vest, and it doesn't look too tacky. image.jpg
image.jpg

Doe a riding vest serve a pratical purpose, or is it just for style / displaying club colours?

It still is a fairly decent windbreaker if the weather's good enough but other than that, won't do jack in case of a spill. So style mostly, yeah.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I think they would save a bit of gravel rash on your back or front, I see too many people riding in shorts and flip flops with singlets etc...it's a dangerous game for sure. Plenty of spills on YouTube of the singlet brigade coming undone...nasty business

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think they would save a bit of gravel rash on your back or front, I see too many people riding in shorts and flip flops with singlets etc...it's a dangerous game for sure. Plenty of spills on YouTube of the singlet brigade coming undone...nasty business

I cringe every time I see one ride past.

IXL

One Too Many
A vest will keep an untucked tee shirt from flapping up-and-over one's head. They can also be pretty groovy in allowing one to conceal a handgun more readily. And....they can block a bit of wind, as mentioned in a posting, above. Some of them can hold a wallet in a secure pocket, and keep a pack of cigarettes from getting smushed, for those who light up.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I cringe every time I see one ride past.

This was the Faro motorcycle meeting in Portugal. Standard motorcycle wear in Spain/Portugal.

DSC_0895_zps5423d3a5.jpg

i went this year, but you can always tell us northern Europeans, we are the ones boiling our socks off in armoured gear.
No visor but some industrial safety specs, jacket is vented textile with armour.

I dont think D pockets exist in Spain:p

P7170165_zps1kuhvius.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Funny how they wear helmets to protect their heads but forget the rest of their bodies! Looks like great weather for riding Rocketeer.

Yes I thought that to(helmets etc) The weather was fabulous for most of the way. It rained through France, visited Oradour sur Glane on the way. A very sad place. Anyone into wartime reenacting needs to vist this place if they can.
From Lourdes though it was sun sun sun all the way to Faro and back to England 3751.5 miles.
And yes I did wash my gear as I went along :)

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Funny how they wear helmets to protect their heads but forget the rest of their bodies! Looks like great weather for riding Rocketeer.

Helmets are a legal requirement, if they weren't they would be riding with just sunglasses.

While on holiday in Thailand I rode on the back of moped taxis with no safety gear at all. Have to say I found it very liberating! At home it is usually kevlar trousers, boots and an armoured jacket with gloves and helmet. I also wear armoured undershorts and knee armour, most of the time.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Late '50s- early '60s D-pocket. Stitch marks from motorcycle club patch with top and bottom rockers on the back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld