Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Rooster

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't know. it was promoted as such. Welder's jacket, you say . . . interesting.

bk
It would be nice to know for sure, just for curiosities sake alone. $500 would be an awfully expensive welding jacket.
The name "ANN" on the back is what leads me to believe it is a welding jacket, probably from WWII when Rosie the riveter was at work. I've been on big construction projects and the welders nearly always wore their names on their backs in majic marker as well as their name on there helmet. Otherewise nobody can tell who you are when you're welding.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Rooster said:
It would be nice to know for sure, just for curiosities sake alone. $500 would be an awfully expensive welding jacket.
The name "ANN" on the back is what leads me to believe it is a welding jacket, probably from WWII when Rosie the riveter was at work. I've been on big construction projects and the welders nearly always wore their names on their backs in majic marker as well as their name on there helmet. Otherewise nobody can tell who you are when you're welding.

I say welder's jacket. I am very surprised at that price. I hope the buyer knew what he was getting. I guess it is part of the popularity of vintage work wear.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
it's from the original thrift store, then, right? He usually knows what he's talking about. Labels, as i say, would clear things up somewhat. And a look at the lining.

bk

Yes that may solve it.

not trying to piss on your parade . . .

. . .

I really need to see the labels. I saw the lining in the listing, and frankly it doesn't inspire confidence in a late 50s date. Such contrast linings are exceedingly are in 40s/50s jackets. However, these things are difficult to say with any certainty. The seller did, of course, cover his arse quite well. But it is wrong to describe that jacket as a "dead ringer for a demob suit from 1945". It is not.

DemobChalkBespoke13.jpg
P1100850.jpg

Anyway, it's bespoke and is bound to be a very nice suit, just perhaps not so old as he thinks it is.

If there is any kind of label in it, the seller should show it. An experienced seller like this knows how much info can be gleaned from the type face and general design of a label. If there is no label, there's nothing he can do but guess.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
. . .

I really need to see the labels. I saw the lining in the listing, and frankly it doesn't inspire confidence in a late 50s date. Such contrast linings are exceedingly are in 40s/50s jackets. However, these things are difficult to say with any certainty. The seller did, of course, cover his arse quite well. But it is wrong to describe that jacket as a "dead ringer for a demob suit from 1945". It is not.

DemobChalkBespoke13.jpg
P1100850.jpg

Anyway, it's bespoke and is bound to be a very nice suit, just perhaps not so old as he thinks it is.

If there is any kind of label in it, the seller should show it. An experienced seller like this knows how much info can be gleaned from the type face and general design of a label. If there is no label, there's nothing he can do but guess.

bk

Do you think I should take it up with him? Thanks for for you help so far.

C

I don't think so. I would be inclined to trust him. Pretty much any other seller i'd ask, but this guy knows what he's talking about. 'pon further thought, i remember i've seen some early 60s trousers with those type pockets . . .

The only issue is that you'll have no recourse to send it back. You'll note he never said is was late 50s. just that the thought that was the best guess.

obviously without having the thing in my hands it's impossible to be definite.

bk

The real Henry

Practically Family
That is indeed a 30s suit and I hope you know what kind of bargain this is! The cut is great and the fabric looks the same.

Just take a look at the price of the other vintage summer suit in that section and you'll know what your suit is worth!

Regards,
Henrik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe