Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all Rustics!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here in Sydney it's more of a 1940s-50s theme, coming into Swing out of the Rockabilly movement - and vice-versa. Most people in the 'scene' will either be more closely aligned with either a 1950-1960 ethic when it comes to music, dance, clothes, cars and home/decor, while some rarer others tend to be more 1935-1952, seen more as the era of Swing/Rhythm'n'Blues.

Me, I do what I can to live the Swingin' lifestyle while playing in a Rockabilly/R'n'B combo. While I wear my Rockabilly threads to my gigs and some other rockin' events, and my car's a 1960 Chevy Bel Air, my house contains some nice 1930s furniture: a 1936 club lounge, a mid-30s display cabinet, art deco wall tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, art deco mirrors etc. Every day I'm sporting late 30s-early 40s clothing or clothing made by my expert tailor in that vein. The question here is probably not so much am I a purist (by Aussie standards, I certainly am), but am I hep?

Damn straight I am! lol

Anyway, I dig Forgotten Man's style, kudos to you ol' buddy! You live the life you dig and that's the mostest! I'm with you, live it to the hilt!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thanks Benny! I just can't help but living it or really wanting to do it daily... it makes life more interesting I find... walking around in antique shops togged to the bricks in antique clothing... having people just stop and look with mostly pleased and shocked expressions on their pans!

And listenin' to good quality 20s to 40s music daily as I work around the house, or whatever... it's just that good old fashioned feeling. Then, a the brass bells will ring on my Western Electric 302 then it really feels right.

Took me many years to get to where I am in my collection... stuff like this doesn't happen over night unless you've got money to burn and a truck! lol It's like a puzzle, an enjoyable puzzle to put together... here a little, there a little... then you've got a place that's really shaping up to feel right.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're welcome Rob! I get a lot of inspiration from your good self and some of the other gents on this forum, and I've really learned a lot from your posts.

I've got a vintage phone on my list of wants . . . I remember back in the late 80s when those heavy old phones were $90 a pop. Now, they're more than triple that! But like your home, mine's coming along gradually!

poetman

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man, the pictures you posted are outstanding. Where can we see more. Old photos provide the best inspiration for me. Sometimes he can be difficult to replicate something you don't see daily, but the more you see it, the more attainable it becomes. Keep up the inspiration!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Benny Holiday said:
I've got a vintage phone on my list of wants . . . I remember back in the late 80s when those heavy old phones were $90 a pop. Now, they're more than triple that! But like your home, mine's coming along gradually!

Brother, get on Ebay but quick! There's lots of neat older phones goin' dirt cheap right now! Not sure what kind you'd need bein' down under... not sure if an American job would work on your systems... but, you can check out Western Electric phones on ebay!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm not Amish although that level of commitment intrigues me though I could hardly imagine being able to live in that manner. I think that having a distaste for the modern world and it's "value" system is a strong attraction (for some,not all) of the so-called purists of the vintage manner. My own biggest attempt at it is certainly my home. It's a 1924 Craftsman bungalow that has been lovingly restored by the previous owner. Most of the fixtures are authentic and period and the few that aren't are very good period correct reproductions. There are a few modern appliances (refridgerator, stove, dishwasher, micro) that came with the home and since my wife does the cooking I'm not going to tell her how to equip her kitchen (gotta keep peace in the land and food on the table!).

If I could afford it and if my wife was of the same mind I'd live in an older home, say about 1880 and have nothing inside that would have been out of place in the early 1930's. Until then I'll continue to live like a semi-Luddite and enjoy my analog gadgets (that I got with credit cards on EBAY!)

Keep those photos coming Mr.Smith.They are really well done!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Another photo, a favorite of mine:

l_be3c29a46df1173a03c837f0a0771f1d.jpg

And another in AAF class A's.

l_50a76569c8afffa7353c315a1d66f448.jpg

I've never considered my self "Amish" about what I do, I just love the old so, I do old fashioned things and only shop in antique shops... I mean, for stuff... I do buy food at Trader Joes and such... hahahaha... but, most of the stuff I find my self buying to eat is very classic and old fashioned in cuisine. Very traditional types of things, I even have a few old milk bottles from the period I pour my milk into, I even have cut out paper stoppers for the caps. It is so worth it to open up that old '40 GE and see a glass bottle of milk in there and let me tell you, if you're a milk drinker, it's the best thing on a warm day to pull that ice cold bottle out of the fridge and pour some into an old aluminum tumbler... a friend of mine came over, he's in his 60s and I poured him some milk from that bottle into one of my tumblers... he had a flash back deluxe! He told me that used to be one of his favorite things on a hot day... how the aluminum stays cold longer and just feels so nice. I'm keeping traditions on that so many have forgotten about... I just love what I do and am happy to share my passion about this with anyone who shows interest.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'll admit, I had the wrong idea about you FM. I like this new "I'm willing to share my love of vintage" attitude. I love looking at your photos and do admire your dedication. You really should be happy that you have this gift -- not mad at the "modern" world. I can only dream of such dedication, but I'm slowly building an all 30s/40s wardrobe by way of sewing my own. I can't even look at store clothes anymore without cringing (nothing against those who buy store clothes -- this is just for myself!)

And like many others in here, I buy vintage first! My husband and I are too much into kitschy things, though, to ever be full blown living in the past. We also like different eras -- I'm all about the 20s, 30s, and 40s, he's into the 40s (he does reenactment) and 50s.

Purist

Cheers to you KittyT!! Throw the PC out the window,and take the word purist out of the dictionary,along with sanity,there are no, and I quote sane people on this earth just verying degree`s of insanity.In today`s world there are no purists period,turn the key to start your car,turn the lights on,open the ice box and grab a cold one.There never were any purist`s past or present.Possibly one and I will not go there!!!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
I'll admit, I had the wrong idea about you FM. I like this new "I'm willing to share my love of vintage" attitude. I love looking at your photos and do admire your dedication. You really should be happy that you have this gift -- not mad at the "modern" world. I can only dream of such dedication, but I'm slowly building an all 30s/40s wardrobe by way of sewing my own. I can't even look at store clothes anymore without cringing (nothing against those who buy store clothes -- this is just for myself!)

And like many others in here, I buy vintage first! My husband and I are too much into kitschy things, though, to ever be full blown living in the past. We also like different eras -- I'm all about the 20s, 30s, and 40s, he's into the 40s (he does reenactment) and 50s.

Well, my dedication just comes from love of the era, it's never a chore or I never feel tied down to it... people some times say I'm "stuck" in the past... I reply that if I was unhappy doing what I do, I'd be stuck! I'm happy and I do not feel I am stuck. ;)

Sounds like you’re kinda like me in many respects… I haven’t bought a new item of clothes in many years… and even my mother has been shopping at thrift shops now since so many new styles aren’t very modest and she ops for the more conservative/modest dresses… she’s upset at the way style has turned!

Like I have mentioned in earlier posts, I have always had a draw to other time periods other then my own. I was a most interesting kid at age 9 knowing about the TITANIC disaster and also interested in the California gold rush. I recall being at a field trip in Monrovia Canyon... and this old timer had some old mining tools... he picks up this rusty hook with a candle holder... he asked us kids what it was... I raised my hand and said a candle holder! I saw one like it in a photo in National Geographic! The man's jaw dropped! Everyone was dumb founded how a 9 year old kid knew what that was! lol

Mad at the modern world? Well, in some things I am... I will not go into them because it would make this post too long and boring... and I don't want to rant. lol But there are things in this world I really could do with out... and I will say that having no beautiful train travel like we did back in the 30s -50s makes me sad... since I love to travel by trains. Oh to go cross the country on a Pullman and sit out on the observation platform in a chair with a wool blanket around me watching the country side whiz by... and that haunting sound of a steam whistle... Sigh!

Romantic

I think the purist thread should have read" Romantic" that seems fitting to the way you feel FM.I am 57yrs old and have been around the block many many times raised a wonderful daughter,tried to follow the straight and narrow,but it is difficult today and all the days before.I understand how you feel and admire that,but purist can`t happen, sorry to burst your bubble but it is just dreaming.Advice from my grandfather the good old days were not that good,he went through WW1 the dust bowl,the depression,chopped wood to heat the huge house that my dad and 7 other brothers and sisters lived.Tough life he lead,he was no purist,a rustic yes(look it up)never drove,took a train to work(steam),grew many of the things that they ate,made the odd piece of furniture now and then,raised chickens,honey bees,and saved everthing.He is long gone now and I have fond memories of that cantankerous old coot.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Whilst I don't 'live' a completely vintage lifestyle in our home, I'm pretty darn picky about my vintage clothing when I'm wearing it!

I, as you say, stick at all 30s or 40s, depending on what I'm doing. I prefer the 30s but do some 40s living history. So I might wear some 30s stuff with the 40s, just as people might have done then, but it is if it goes with the overall look. I'm very particular about hair, and I completely get your 'rant' (don't mean it in a bad way!) about guys wearing trousers that are meant to be worn high loose slung on their hips, scruffy hair, etc if they are meant to be doing a Living History event. Otherwise, if people want to dress like that, well, it's up to them but I personally think it spoils the look of the original clothes - wearing them 'badly'.

When I do events, I go all out to get all the details down. I did a car rally in August where we chose to be month specific - August, since it was August and 1935 to go with the car. So we had magazines just from that month, got old labels for our bottle of cordial, wine, cheese etc. I do it for my own pleasure, not to be 'better' than anyone . It's nice if people notice, enjoy and comment on it , but in the end, it's for myself.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
I think the purist thread should have read" Romantic" that seems fitting to the way you feel FM.I am 57yrs old and have been around the block many many times raised a wonderful daughter,tried to follow the straight and narrow,but it is difficult today and all the days before.I understand how you feel and admire that,but purist can`t happen, sorry to burst your bubble but it is just dreaming.Advice from my grandfather the good old days were not that good,he went through WW1 the dust bowl,the depression,chopped wood to heat the huge house that my dad and 7 other brothers and sisters lived.Tough life he lead,he was no purist,a rustic yes(look it up)never drove,took a train to work(steam),grew many of the things that they ate,made the odd piece of furniture now and then,raised chickens,honey bees,and saved everthing.He is long gone now and I have fond memories of that cantankerous old coot.

No one is goin' to bust my bubble... get me? I do my best and I'm happy with what I do... so, yeah!

Well, everyone looks at the past as a lot of work, and it was. I have met some many men in their 70s-90s, some have said they're glad it's over and some have said they'd go back in a flash! So, it really depends on a person's perspective and experiences regarding the past.

I think those years were full of innovation, uncertainty, fear, love, hardships, work, and a passion to not give up hope... there's so much I admire of those generations and when I meet people who lived it, I listen with intent to their stories and think of the times they grew up. I am a romantic, maybe that's why I'm not so crazy about these years I know... seems so many people in the general world are unromantic... gotta have it now, gotta have it fast, little patience regarding anything really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe