Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all Rustics!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Rob...

... you are the man when it comes to living the lifestyle of the Golden Era. Most of us only dream about the vintage house, car, spouse, etc. I admire you very much, but can't figure out HOW I'd make that work in my circumstances. The best I can do is to live AUTHENTICALLY a day or two a year. For me, that means a USAAF impression that is completely authentic except for an impossible to find pair of 13-D low quarters. I'm even on the hunt for special eyeglasses just for those days. Now, if I could just talk Helen into a JEEP!! or (more likely) a two-seater sports car! -- Cheers to you!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, FM, you are definitely a net giver to the FL and I for one have learned a lot from you and your (especially earlier) posts.

Maybe a lot of newer folks don't realize the time you've clocked in over the years?

Good luck to you sir. The photos are marvelous.

ortega76

Practically Family
As much as I appreciate and love the vintage aesthetic and lore, I don't live and breathe vintage. I think I would describe my lifestyle as modern with a vintage twist. I use elements of vintage in my clothes, decor and life. On a day like today, I wear a modern waterproof overcoat with pockets for my cellphone and I-pod. I wear a fedora and a deco-print tie for those classic touches.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
In my opinion, FM, you are definitely a net giver to the FL and I for one have learned a lot from you and your (especially earlier) posts.

Maybe a lot of newer folks don't realize the time you've clocked in over the years?

Good luck to you sir. The photos are marvelous.

I'm new-ish, but I'm fully aware of FM's contributions to the board. I've very much enjoyed reading his posts in the past, and my lifestyle's not so very unlike his (though he might fairly view it as such). I always try to buy vintage first -- always -- whether it be clothing or appliances or furniture; my various clocks, lamps, radios, electric fans, furniture, watches, clothes, etc. range in period from the 1930s through the 1950s, and I love them all.

I watch mostly old movies, read mostly older literature (or bios of Hollywood figures from the golden age), dress mostly in vintage clothing, listen a great deal to vintage music, and easily 60 percent of my household possessions are vintage. I don't yet have a vintage phone, but I will soon, and my cell phone has a vintage ringtone. People tell me all the time that my house is like a museum.

And I've been interested in all of the above since the 1970s.

And yet, I'm not so sure I fit FM's definition of "purist" (though that's what I aim for). And that's fine; I'm not offended in the least. But trying to limit who can or should post in a thread is always tricky, as is deciding who rightfully deserves to be dubbed a purist and who doesn't.

My previous post wasn't aimed solely at FM -- someone else in the thread (I don't recall who, and I don't feel like scrolling back) had posted about making sure everything in an ensemble (or in a household) is restricted to a short span of time. I merely wanted to make the point that, then and now, most average folks' wardrobes aren't strictly limited to a single five-year period and similarly, most households contain items from a much wider range of years than five or ten, even if the residents are not into vintage items.

I thought it a valid point before, and I still do.

I'm convinced FM and I have much more in common as regards the vintage lifestyle than any ways we might differ, but again, I'm still not sure I fully qualify to post in this thread. That seemed (and seems) a bit odd and, yes, even restrictive to me.

But I certainly didn't intend to attack FM, and I hope he doesn't feel that I did. As far as I'm concerned (and taking into account that I only know him via this board), we're kindred spirits.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm not a purist, but when I do dress vintage I like to be as authentic as I can. I love the history of the period and many aspects, but confining my interests to one period isn't possible for me! I love everything from 18th century to the early 40's, and whatever period I want to portray I try to do it as faithfully as I can. I think our house is kind of a mish mash of various periods, but I have certain modern conveniences I also love... like my computerized sewing machine, modern iron, dvds, and computer.

LordBest

Practically Family
I aspire to be a purist, though I have a very, very long way to go. I am still learning the basics and have yet to acquire a decent 1930s outfit (the time frame I aspire to), if only because it will be too big for me a month after I buy it (juggling weightloss and wardrobe, the eternal dilemma).
Some questions though:
Is a modern bespoke suit made to rigerous standards and in a period style, or a hat from a later period but in the right style (modern custom, later period bowler or top hat for example) acceptable or does it have to actually originate in the time period you choose?
Is it possible to be a purist when one is stuck in a modern university 'cell'.
Vintage cars are notoriously expensive, what do you do if you want to be a purist but simply do not have the means of acquiring a suitable car? Purity is an absolute term afterall.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think authentic copies of period clothing counts for portraying the period. After all, when they wore the clothing it was new.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Actually, my mother has one of those in her kitchen -- not a big fancy oak one, but one of those little Honeymooners-style white ones. It was in the house when we moved in in 1967, but now it sits in a corner with her microwave on top of it.

Honestly, she's hopeless.
Inspiration has struck...I wonder how hard it would be to build a microwave into an old icebox? I would hate to live without my wave.

I ain't no purist. I couldn't possibly do it, not only do I like and need certain modern things, but I am terrible at prioritizing what to keep in the house...
I fake the outfits a lot because I am no longer a size 2, and I can't always take the time to sew. But when I dress, it looks right. I know a lot and just can't be bothered at this extremely stressful time of my life to be worrying about what year goes with what - I look at the overall effect.
I adore the real stuff as much as everyone, but I just can't see being a slave to a time period.
It's actually a big change, in my late 20s and early 30s I was the Vintage Police. I am nicer now, at least!
I admire people like Miss Joeri and Rob, but really, I have bigger fish to fry right now. I sure enjoy looking at it online though...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
skyvue said:
I'm new-ish, but I'm fully aware of FM's contributions to the board. I've very much enjoyed reading his posts in the past, and my lifestyle's not so very unlike his (though he might fairly view it as such). I always try to buy vintage first -- always -- whether it be clothing or appliances or furniture; my various clocks, lamps, radios, electric fans, furniture, watches, clothes, etc. range in period from the 1930s through the 1950s, and I love them all.

I watch mostly old movies, read mostly older literature (or bios of Hollywood figures from the golden age), dress mostly in vintage clothing, listen a great deal to vintage music, and easily 60 percent of my household possessions are vintage. I don't yet have a vintage phone, but I will soon, and my cell phone has a vintage ringtone. People tell me all the time that my house is like a museum.

And I've been interested in all of the above since the 1970s.

And yet, I'm not so sure I fit FM's definition of "purist" (though that's what I aim for). And that's fine; I'm not offended in the least. But trying to limit who can or should post in a thread is always tricky, as is deciding who rightfully deserves to be dubbed a purist and who doesn't.

My previous post wasn't aimed solely at FM -- someone else in the thread (I don't recall who, and I don't feel like scrolling back) had posted about making sure everything in an ensemble (or in a household) is restricted to a short span of time. I merely wanted to make the point that, then and now, most average folks' wardrobes aren't strictly limited to a single five-year period and similarly, most households contain items from a much wider range of years than five or ten, even if the residents are not into vintage items.

I thought it a valid point before, and I still do.

I'm convinced FM and I have much more in common as regards the vintage lifestyle than any ways we might differ, but again, I'm still not sure I fully qualify to post in this thread. That seemed (and seems) a bit odd and, yes, even restrictive to me.

But I certainly didn't intend to attack FM, and I hope he doesn't feel that I did. As far as I'm concerned (and taking into account that I only know him via this board), we're kindred spirits.

I think we have a lot of things in common.

First I want to inform most here who read this, that my house isn't narrowed down to one decade, or within a 5 year span. My home is made up mostly of 20s to early 40s... that's a pretty good span I think. The fact that it has been kicked around that most people living in the 40s would still have a good deal of earlier items in the home from the 20s to the 30s is very accurate. That's my home! And that's what I like... I try to have my living room early 1930s... transitional late 20s to early 30s... and my bedroom is mostly 30s early 40s. My kitchen is mostly 40s... my bathroom isn't anything special at the moment so, it's not worth mentioning. lol

I embrace many things from the big three decades... 20s 30s and 40s. I own some 50s clothes and I wear them and when I wear 50s clothes, I try and wear them 50s style!

When I started this thread it mostly was intended to find those who purely want to buy vintage items or who are obsessed with the small details.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Inspiration has struck...I wonder how hard it would be to build a microwave into an old icebox? I would hate to live without my wave.

I ain't no purist. I couldn't possibly do it, not only do I like and need certain modern things, but I am terrible at prioritizing what to keep in the house...
I fake the outfits a lot because I am no longer a size 2, and I can't always take the time to sew. But when I dress, it looks right. I know a lot and just can't be bothered at this extremely stressful time of my life to be worrying about what year goes with what - I look at the overall effect.
I adore the real stuff as much as everyone, but I just can't see being a slave to a time period.
It's actually a big change, in my late 20s and early 30s I was the Vintage Police. I am nicer now, at least!
I admire people like Miss Joeri and Rob, but really, I have bigger fish to fry right now. I sure enjoy looking at it online though...

I've seen your outfits before Miss '29, you know your onions!

I used to be the fashion police years ago... I have softened to a major degree. I have a healthy collection and now I'm finally fitting into it again my self... I haven't the money to buy more stuff; I have had to sell some things in order to just stay housed. But, I use whatever I have on a daily basis and I love the things I own.

I'm not a stitch Nazi, some are, I may come off as such but I'm not at all. I have seen some people show up to Cicada wearing off the wrack clothes but, they have the hair and makeup done right and it looks swell. I will say this, it's about the details... I have seen some guys wear vintage suits to Cicada that they rent from a costume rental place, but seem to not grasp how to wear the clothes.

I recall being on a movie set for a music video... the costume department was on their game! They dressed all the extras (I had my own wardrobe) up in really good clothes... and they lined us all up and got on all these guys who were wearing their pants around their hips! They walked along and pulled up all their pants and pointed to me and a few other friends and said: THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK LIKE! lol That was the best suited set I've seen out of all the period extra work I've done.

Down here, we friends get together and we take a drive in one of the old cars, we'll prepare a meal and eat at home, or go on a picnic, we'll dress up and just go antique hunting for small trinkets it's nice.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I think authentic copies of period clothing counts for portraying the period. After all, when they wore the clothing it was new.

For women it's easier... and I only know one who makes authentic duplicates... and that's your self! We men have it bad, so much fabric made today isn't nearly what it was in the period... and so many tailors can't grasp true tailoring... it's sad.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I'm not a purist, but when I do dress vintage I like to be as authentic as I can. I love the history of the period and many aspects, but confining my interests to one period isn't possible for me! I love everything from 18th century to the early 40's, and whatever period I want to portray I try to do it as faithfully as I can. I think our house is kind of a mish mash of various periods, but I have certain modern conveniences I also love... like my computerized sewing machine, modern iron, dvds, and computer.

I think my lifestyle is similar to Lauren's. I would say 85% of the things in my house are vintage/antique, but they are a mishmash of eras (and centuries!) because I love such a wide range. I do 1790s living history/reenactments at a historical home and I take pleasure in the fact that all of the clothing I wear is historically accurate (no Simplicity costumes!), hand sewn (all the way down to my stays), and only made of fabrics that would have been available then. I put a lot of research and time into presenting a historically accurate figure.

I feel the same way when I dress in vintage. However, I do not wear vintage to work. And I usually do not wear vintage on a daily basis. The wear and tear was getting to be too much for my vintage clothes, and I 'd rather preserve them as good stuff is getting harder and pricier to find. But, when in modern clothing I always dress with a classic style. Like today, I am wearing 40s style wide-legged trousers, a crisp white blouse and an argyle sweater vest with a vintage purse and jewelry. But given the choice, I will always purchase vintage/antique over new. I prefer the quality and workmanship. I've been this way ever since I can remember and have always been surrounded by old things, being raised in a family of thrift store/antique store/flea market nuts and collectors.

Edward

Bartender
I'm fascinated by the purist approach - it's almost like the Amish, in a way. I love the look and am very impressed by the commitment to it.

I would never want to give up many of my modern conveniences, but that said I would adore to have a home which was as far as possible furnished in mid 20th century style, with all my post-50s items concealed. My new kitchen has the modern fridge and freezer concealed behind fitted doors, and eventually, TV and hob aside, the more mdeorn elements of it will all be hidden. When I next buy a TV, I am hoping to acquire a large, flat screen type which I intend to hide when not in use behind a shallow wall-mounted "cabinet" with no back.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford to live in as period a style dwelling as I'd like, but I do at least strive to select pieces that are either vintage in style or at least don't jar with that aesthetic. Maybe one day... For now I'm working on the wardrobe. Reproduction is fine with me (often the only option given both budget and physical size), and I would like to hope that within the next decade or so my wardrobe will be 99% or thereabouts authetically vintage style, in a roughly 1930 through 1959 timeframe.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I think the only time I am 100% a purist is when I go to tacticals, b/c your living like members of the resistance fighters of WWII. Down to the sleeping arrangements.

1c4849ad.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Yep! And even THEY looked right! lol

They recruited alot of great swing dancers for that video, I was a little disappointed that they did'nt show any actual swing dancing. The Cicada Club did look great in that video, however.
l_ba212832d646480da86e8d16072f0716.jpg

Kay Perry is doing a WWII themed video, with real swing dancers in real vintage clothing. Wow, I have'nt seen Nick Williams in vintage in a long time.
l_4301f5c199f2480bb93ef7ce715e4bd7.jpg

Check out Minn!
l_16b06516758645fc9ab60805f44bf610.jpg

Anyways, getting back on topic. I am most devoted to the aesthetics, music and dances of the 1920s to the 1950's. I have a vintage car (same make and model as Forgotten Man's) but it's not my daily driver. By no mean do I live a 100% vintage lifestyle, but I certainly believe I am part of a community of "vintage enthusiasts" whose lifestyle choices certainly counter mainstream hegemony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe