Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Up or down

Who?

Practically Family
Some hesitate to wear “real” hats, for fear that they will “look like a dork”

Unfortunately some ways of wearing a hat practically ensure that we will look like a dork.

Choose your style carefully.

Edward

Bartender
Brim up or down can certainly transform the look of a hat; I'm reminded of that scene in The Big sleep where Bogie flips up his brim and dons a pair of glasses to go into a bookstore incognito; later on, the same lady doesn't initially recognise him when he comes in with his brim flipped down as he normally wears it and no glasses.

1728387930630.png

Different scene, different bookstore, but this is the same hat as he wears it in the very next scene after leaving the store above:
1728388052703.png

Completely different look, even allowing for the specs (and the put on voice!).

For myself, I think a brim can look good up if it's shaped to be worn that way - something like an Open Road. I steamed the brim down on my Akubra Campdraft, but it looked good in its natural 'up' position as it came. My straw stratoliners I can comfortably wear up or down, according to whim and lighting. A fedora with that glorious downswoop Bogie favoured, though, does look odd indeed when worn up. Always makes me think of a man disturbed while putting on his outerwear, and who has subsequently forgotten to flip it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPDuran