Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler Pictures

Magus

Practically Family
I picked this up a few weeks back. In talking to some experts, it seems to date from the 20’s or earlier. If any of you have information on this hat please share. What really makes this rare is that its a 7 5/8...which is huge for this era.

Also, having read some of the recent threads about “Fear of wearing Fedoras” (which I don’t understand at all) I thought I would share a picture of my love (not the hat…lol) and I headed out for the day last weekend.

M

Bowler.jpg
[IMG]http://members.dslextreme.co...users/magus/images/Bowler/STA70004a.JPG[/IMG]

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Incredible!!

I am interested in Bowlers and my wife is a little on the skeptical side.. I showed her your post, she said and I quote, "but his face is longer than yours". :eusa_doh: I though you might get a kick out of that. I do have a bit of a square jaw so maybe the bowler wouldn't be right for me , but I will probably buy one anyway....cool hat ...May I ask how you fell into a deal of such a vintage derby?;)

Magus

Practically Family
Jake Sullivan said:
I am interested in Bowlers and my wife is a little on the skeptical side.. I showed her your post, she said and I quote, "but his face is longer than yours". :eusa_doh: I though you might get a kick out of that. I do have a bit of a square jaw so maybe the bowler wouldn't be right for me , but I will probably buy one anyway....cool hat ...May I ask how you fell into a deal of such a vintage derby?;)

Well Jake...the guy had it listed strangly and couldn't give a size...age...etc. Just that he wore a 7 1/4 and it was huge on him. So it really was a roll of the dice. But I took a chance...and hit a jackpot. I had a rather square jawed frind try it on..looked great on him. Rather like a early mafia leg braking enforcer.

Thanks for the comments so far all.

M

Magus said:
I had a rather square jawed frind try it on..looked great on him. Rather like a early mafia leg braking enforcer.

"Yeah Boss yeah. You want I should break his leg?" :p
I supposed I missed my chance to get a few pictures of a party at the house last weekend. Three of us were standing out in front of the house talking and two women walked by, they were like 6'4" but that is aqnother story, and asked if there was a party going on in there. lol
I suppose we looked like it. Me in my double breasted seersucker, a friend in his frock coat, bowler and accoutrements and another friend looking like a vintage beach bum. Did I mention cigars in hand? ;)

Regards,

J

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Magus said:
Well Jake...the guy had it listed strangly and couldn't give a size...age...etc. Just that he wore a 7 1/4 and it was huge on him. So it really was a roll of the dice. But at $18...I took a chance...and hit a jackpot. I had a rather square jawed frind try it on..looked great on him. Rather like a early mafia leg braking enforcer.

Thanks for the comments so far all.

M

HA HAH...my point exactly Magus. $18 That is too sweet, . You must have done a good deed or two to fall into the good graces of someone upstairs to get that kind of luck. " Whatt is your lady's opinion? just curious mine may be a little tough to crack.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Another 7 5/8!!!
Where do you find vintage?!
By the by that store would have been very close to me

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's a big topic. Let me narrow it down a bit by focusing on finding vintage bowler hats on eBay.

Vintage bowler hats (also listed as derby hats) show up all the time on eBay. Most of these are from 1900 to 1940. Some are even older. That said, it's pretty difficult to find a vintage bowler that is bigger than a size 7. Here's what I would do:

-- do two separate title/description searches: one for "derby" "hat", the other for "bowler" "hat".

-- check British eBay too. The address is www.ebay.co.uk

-- if the seller hasn't written the hat's size on the auction page, PM him/her and ask for the size. Advise that the size is often found on a piece of paper stuck under the leather sweatband. If the paper can't be found, ask the seller to measure the circumference of the sweatband.

-- be patient. Bowlers can go for a lot of money, or for much less. Set a maximum price for yourself and don't go beyond it. Sooner or later, you'll win the right bowler hat for that price (or less!)

Magus

Practically Family
Jake Sullivan said:
Whatt is your lady's opinion? just curious mine may be a little tough to crack.

Actually Jake. She likes me in 2 in and under brims. Stingy's are her fav on me. But she thought I looked very "cute" last weekend>

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld