Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler Pictures

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Okay I'm hooked

Well ..call it peer pressurelol (kidding) but after I by a casual fedora for everyday blue jean days, a Bowler is my next hat.

By the way what do you guys think about a hat called the "Coachman"?
Open to any thoughts

Michaelson

One Too Many
So, a question....would a near mint condition bowler, perfect lining and leather sweatband (can't remember the company. Wasn't familiar to me) in size 7 3/8 complete with box be worth $98?
Inquring minds want to know.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
In near mint condition? In that size? I'd offer the seller $75 for it.

That's what I needed to know. I had no clue what these were going for, and my wife thought this one looked nice on me when I tried it on (which surprised the heck out of me!:eek: )

Thanks.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
That's what I needed to know. I had no clue what these were going for, and my wife thought this one looked nice on me when I tried it on (which surprised the heck out of me!:eek: )

Thanks.

Regards! Michaelson

If the condition is good, it fits and the wife likes it on you then the price is worth it. ;) It is not likely you are going to find one again anytime soon in that condition anyway. The leg work might cost you more than the $23 difference. ;)

Regards,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well the vintage ones do have a better edge than the modern ones I have seen, and you'd pay near 200 or more for a modern one. 75 to 100 sounds reasonable.

Michaelson, you with the mustacher and the cuttaway coat and the bowler... I can see you in the whole outfit.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not one, but two!

I bid on two vintage black bowlers on eBay, and as the auctions were ending when I had to be at work, I just hoped I'd win one. I ended up winning both. (for the opening bid, no less)

One's English, heavy and harder than the hubs of Hell, but it oddly has some sort of cloth sweatband. It has a reverse taper and a brim which is curled up on the sides. The other is lighter, still stiff but not bulletproof, is unlined and has a normal leather sweatband. Its brim is flatter. They're both a bit seedy but definitely vintage.

On left is the heavy bowler that has "A&N Ltd London SW1" on the liner, on right is the other bowler that had a logo glued to the inside of the crown that was too faded to read, but had "Easy Fitting" embossed into the leather sweatband.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I believe that your hat's cloth sweatband is a stylistic holdover from the era when bowler hats were first used for riding and hunting. The string in the cloth sweatband could be tightened to make the hat fit more snugly. A necessary precaution when the owner was galloping about.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tony, that's a nice hat! I hope you don't take any offence to this but one classic sentence comes to mind from a dynamic-duo from Hollywood's golden past...

Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into! lol

music9.jpg

I love Laurel and Hardy movies... I'm a major fan of their movies! I've wanted a Derby or Bowler so I could do a Stanly impersonation my self.

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
I love Laurel and Hardy movies... I'm a major fan of their movies! I've wanted a Derby or Bowler so I could do a Stanly impersonation my self.

=WR=

Oh yeah, I love 'em too. If I ran an industrial safety class, I'd use their movies as training films. lol

Hmmm... I wonder if there's a secret stash of Babe Hardy's old suits somewhere? Maybe I could wear vintage too! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe