Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Anyone else finding Margaret rather naive and annoying in this Season? Her latest gift to the Church doesn't bode well for her.

Now that Jimmy is gone...what does the future hold for Richard Harrow?

Margaret's fling with Nucky's IRA bodyguard - where will all that end?

Jimmys mum - her power base has gone, so where will she use her womanly charms next to kick start her own Empire Building?

Van Alden living incognito in the mid west - where's that going?

Chalky White - Series 3 needs to bring him rightfully to the fore!

Well, they certainly did set up a bunch of new sub-plot possibilities.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Anyone else finding Margaret rather naive and annoying in this Season? Her latest gift to the Church doesn't bode well for her.

Now that Jimmy is gone...what does the future hold for Richard Harrow?

Margaret's fling with Nucky's IRA bodyguard - where will all that end?

Jimmys mum - her power base has gone, so where will she use her womanly charms next to kick start her own Empire Building?

Van Alden living incognito in the mid west - where's that going?

Chalky White - Series 3 needs to bring him rightfully to the fore!

Series three, as I understand it, is a couple of years later (I think 1923).

For the record, Van Alden is now in Cicero. For those who don't know it, Cicero was where Al Capone would set up his base of operations. And one of the guys "working" with him in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a turned cop named Mueller. ;)

And, yeah. Margaret is not being smart. She is going DOWN.

I don't think Nucky is above leaning on a priest....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"I didn't want the suits to all be vintage — old and raggedy, that had to be restored ..."

What a misleading thing for John Dunn to say. Vintage = "old and raggedy"? That doesn't seem to jibe with the dozens of pristine deadstock 1920s suits that Boardwalk Empire bought (for a load of money) from a vintage dealer in 2010.

Last edited:
"I didn't want the suits to all be vintage — old and raggedy, that had to be restored ..."

What a misleading thing for John Dunn to say. Vintage = "old and raggedy"? That doesn't seem to jibe with the dozens of pristine deadstock 1920s suits that Boardwalk Empire bought (for a load of money) from a vintage dealer in 2010.

True but it does discourage competition.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
True but it does discourage competition.

True that.

Incidentally, here's a rare image of a Boardwalk Empire character actually wearing one of the deadstock '20s suits that came from the vintage dealer. Look closely enough, and you'll see how it differs from Nucky's repro suits: narrower shoulders, higher breast pocket, more curve and drape to the lapels ...

boardwalk-empire-lucky.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That shirt collar looks current.

It definitely is. The bottom edges come down too far out over the collarbone area. (Yes, I know he's sitting down.) This is because the collar is too loose on the wearer's neck, so it "pops out" over the jacket's collar.

Also, the collar pin is far too long. In 1920, collar pins were extremely short, as can be seen in millions of photos from the era. Pins were also worn higher up on the collar.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's also not crisp enough especially at the top, where the band meets the leaf.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
That doesn't seem to jibe with the dozens of pristine deadstock 1920s suits that Boardwalk Empire bought (for a load of money) from a vintage dealer in 2010.

deadstock 1920s suits ? ouch, that hurts.
i'm guessing that they were stored away by the dealer and had never been for sale in front of vintage buyers ? i can't imagine them lasting long if they had been.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
deadstock 1920s suits ? ouch, that hurts.
i'm guessing that they were stored away by the dealer and had never been for sale in front of vintage buyers ? i can't imagine them lasting long if they had been.

Nope. They were found by the dealer at a garage sale. The family's grandfather had had a clothing store which closed down many years ago, and grandpa had stored some of the unsold stock in his home's basement. The family put out some of the deadstock 1920s suits at the garage sale, and the dealer asked if they had more. "Sure," they said. "About 60 more." He bought them all. Miraculously, they were in pristine condition.

Within a few weeks after the dealer found these suits, he'd sold nearly all of them to Boardwalk Empire and other costumers for about $700 per suit.

I should add that I know the dealer and (along with Matt Deckard) saw some of these suits in person.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
http://www.denofgeek.com/television...2_episode_9_review_battle_of_the_century.html

A question for our Irish Loungers. According to the above episode precis the stiffbacked IRA guy whose son was killed was gunned down for being too optimistic about the proposed peace treaty with the British. When I saw the episode I had a few thoughts I would like to get clarified. Was the murder you see in the back window really only about getting rid of a lot of unsold whiskey? In other words just a straight crime thing? I mean if you are used to killing people randomly one more does not matter right? Is that not the MO for most of the killing on BE anyways?

Or is this precis right where it is seen purely as a way of ridding themselves of a pacifist lost the plot type potential Michael Collins follower? Or is it a convenient mixture of both? This precis presumes it is purely political but I kept asking myself whether the murder motive was really quite simple? For starters why is it juxtapoased immediately with the Nucky's departure for the ship? I just felt it was a simplistic precis. Any views? Was the mudered IRA capo an early Collins-ite because from memory he was killed around 1922 and that is about where BE is situated in this series. Or as they say in the Godfather - "no hard feelings...it was only business"? Is that not the MO for most of the killing on BE anyways?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe