Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
It was a huge chain of events that unfolded after the past two or three episodes, but I have no interest in Nucky anymore. It was a great show but I can't see being that concerned in what follows.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Yeah with a few of the mainstays dropping out of the picture, I dunno what direction the show would/will head into. I dunno how much I should give away and go into because not everyone has probably seen the new episode...

Doublegun

Practically Family
Not sure how I feel about the finale. They but nice bows on all of the story lines that have been so good this season. After last weeks episode I thought the finale was really disappointing.

sproily

Practically Family
I'm extremely put off by all the violence and sick twists in the story of season two.

At first the second season seemed fine, but I think it's way too gory. Do I really want to see someone get scalped??? No.

The first season was good. The second one seems like they just decided to forget about the plot and add violence.

I doubt I will continue watching the series even though the clothes are pretty, in other regards the show is just tasteless.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
SPOILER WARNING!

An outstanding finale, if not quite as awesome as last week's revelation-packed episode.

I'm not happy to have lost such a compelling character, but it was the only dramatically correct ending for the season.

He knew he'd failed in his bid for control, he knew that there could be no return to being Nucky's capo, and what's more, after the revelations of last week, it was clear that he was simply too damaged and lost: he'd never really expected to return from the war, and after he did, the horrors surrounding him - Angela, the Commodore, sicko Gillian (not to even mention the mob characters and violence!) - were just too much... And on the other side of the coin, Nucky had to step up to Jimmy's comment to him way back in the pilot about not being able to remain half a gangster. (For that matter, Margaret stepped up to a more powerful position too.)

This certainly changes the dynamics for next season. From what I've read in interviews with the producer this morning, they're thinking that next season will take place after a Mad Men-like long pause (15 or 18 months), and Jimmy-based characters like Richard and Gillian will still be on the show. And did anybody notice that Van Alden is hiding out in Cicero, IL - Al Capone's home base in the mid-twenties?!?

Feraud

Bartender
ADDITIONAL SPOILER WARNING!

An awesome finale! Jimmy's fate at the war memorial was touching yet destined. He was never the man to make a real play for power. Life did a number on him and he was used as a pawn by those around him. Richard was his only real friend. I wish Jimmy had finished the job on Gillian last week. Her comment to her grandson about him, "being a great man like his father" was unfortunate. She's demented and has done enough damage to the family.
I do hope that religious hypocrite Margaret has signed her death warrant on that property deed. She has proven herself untrustworthy more than once.
I assumed Van Alden would become a type of freelance hit man for the mob after his departure from the department.
Nucky is surrounded by proven unloyal people.

This season on Boardwalk Empire was much better than either The Walking Dead or Dexter.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I can understand why Nucky had to do what he had to do to Jimmy. But I can't understand his forgiveness of Eli and bringing him back into the fold. I could see him telling Eli plead guilty and go to jail and that's it. But to have Eli there as a trusted gun while Nucky exacted revenge on Jimmy made little sense to me. I also thought he owed it to Jimmy to kill Manny Horvitz for killing Jimmy's wife.

I don't understand people put off by the violence. It is a story about prohibition era gangsters, it is going to get very violent, I think you know that going in.

I tend to agree that without the Nucky/Jimmy story line I don't see where the story goes and I don't think I care at all, a few wars with Torrio/Capone and Rothstein? Some more complications with his marriage to Margaret? (I find her character insufferable and really don't want to tune in to see more of that) Honestly the series could end right now and I would think it went out on a high note.

Last edited:

sproily

Practically Family
^It can be done with taste, and it can be done without taste.

I believe as far as BE is concerned, it is the latter.

It's just unwarranted, it does not need to be there. It's a shame that otherwise such a good show ends up crap because of it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand people put off by the violence. It is a story about prohibition era gangsters, it is going to get very violent, I think you know that going in.

That's because they have a sugar-coated view of the period and the people in it.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
^It can be done with taste, and it can be done without taste.

I don't know how you tastefully portray the murder and torture of people. the only thing you could do is hide it and not show it, but then that takes away from the authenticity of the show.

I can understand the violence turning someone off from the show, but also a gangster show on HBO you just know is going to be riddled with violence. I don't find anything done on the show to really be beyond the pall of what was common during that era to be honest. It was an absolutely brutal period in our history.

sproily

Practically Family
That's because they have a sugar-coated view of the period and the people in it.

Or perhaps they just don't see why it has to be so gory? I have seen some episodes of Dexter and while violent as well, it is done very tastefully.

Perhaps you Americans are used to this, I have no idea what's going on in television and movies at the moment. I do know, though, that the show could do well without all the violence.

But then, I'm not used to seeing violence.

Unlike some people I don't see why showing skin is such a bad thing...

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Or perhaps they just don't see why it has to be so gory? I have seen some episodes of Dexter and while violent as well, it is done very tastefully.

Perhaps you Americans are used to this, I have no idea what's going on in television and movies at the moment. I do know, though, that the show could do well without all the violence.

But then, I'm not used to seeing violence.

Unlike some people I don't see why showing skin is such a bad thing...

I guess the difference in a show like Dexter is you end up rooting for the man committing the violence, in BE it's just there in your face and you tend to sway back and forth from considering the violence permissible to abhorrent, and the characters from human and identifying with them, to seeing them as the sociopath criminals they really are, based on how and why the violence is committed. Take Nucky for example, throughout the series you really considered him very much human, a touch in over his head, not suited for the violent world he is trying to run. After he coldly killed Jimmy who was basically his son, and coolly told Margaret that Jimmy will be re-enlisting and left already. Our image of Nucky changes completely after that. I don't think it has the same effect if the murder isn't portrayed so callously.

In Dexter if they were more graphic it would perhaps be more difficult to portray the lead character as a protagonist of sorts. I don't think it has anything to do with us Americans, but also I suppose my sensibilities are not so easily offended by a TV show.

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gangsters exist today in all sorts of forms, under different guises and organisational names. Some hide under the guise of religion or as Freedom Fighters or defenders of the poor, but at the end of the day, they are organised crime & terrorists with all the trappings of evil and filth that 'that' entails.

How 'anyone' can hold 'any' of these killers up in 'awe' and 'reverence' is beyond me. The God of these people is power and money through murder, extortion, intimidation..etc, etc. It was like that in the 1920's and 30's where the likes of Capone reigned through terror. It still holds true 'today.' Time passing does not make the evils that men do any prettier or easier to stomache.

Yet, it seems that with the passing of the years, the likes of Capone, Dillinger, Baby Face, et al...have a certain feel of nostalgia, if not a rosey glow about them in the eyes of the modern public (and movie makers).

How many of us have seen the pityful descriptions of 'pin striped DB suits' as being 'Gangster Suits.' (As if 'that' term makes them more desirable). It seems to glamourise them, these people who wouldn't think twice about taking a human life, irrespective of age or gender.

Let's hope 'BE' in it's third series (if commissioned?) will build upon its storylines and stay true. Life ain't a bowl of cherries...especially in certain circles in Atlantic City!

The last couple of episodes had me hoping for a tsunami. You know, just be rid of the whole lot of them.

That's no slam on the show, though. These characters aren't meant to be likable.

sproily

Practically Family
Like folks who move next to an airport and complain about the noise : it is what it is and you should know what to expect from the sign over the door. Don't like it, don't watch it.

Or perhaps you prefer a skewed view of crime history.

The first season was fine. Compared to that, this season is terrible. This is why I'm disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting them to focus on something else than killing. You know, there are different viewpoints you can take to see the situation.

Crime history or not, that's not what I'm interested in. And I realize that by saying this I truly am barking up the wrong tree. I shouldn't be watching this at all. And again, I was satisfied with season one.

All I'm saying is that people don't seem to be offended by killing and murder but something like nudity gets them raving. I fail to see why.

I guess the difference in a show like Dexter is you end up rooting for the man committing the violence

I agree. In Dexter you take the side of the murderer, which is indeed a very odd choice. In terms of moral questions raised by a series, BE goes farther.

I guess I was hoping for a series a whole different than what BE is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe