Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Kestrel

New in Town
That guy with the baseball cap looks daft, especially with the thing turned backwards. I can't stand those things. Baseball caps may look 'cute' on little kids, but not on adult men.

Incidentally, I received a cotton Tolosa Tupida beret from Daan and it's great. Very lightweight and cool enough for wear in warm weather. Makes a great casual piece of headgear with a t-shirt and khakis or even jeans.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
That guy with the baseball cap looks daft, especially with the thing turned backwards. I can't stand those things. Baseball caps may look 'cute' on little kids, but not on adult men.

Welcome to the Lounge, Kestrel!

Berets are great, love them myself, but speaking as a geologist and someone who spends time knocking about outdoors, a good baseball cap or equivalent billed cap can be really handy. Not for style but function. The point of Effingham's post is "baseball cap as fashion statement" to the point where it's worn backwards but you're shading your eyes with your hand. To state the obvious.

A really hilarious photo! Thanks Mr. E.

- Bill

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blue 12" Elosegui beret from Ron Greer
IMG_4347s.jpg

It's hard to capture the true color. Indoors at night it's a very very dark blue and almost looks black. During the day in the sunlight it looks lighter. It can go from an almost royal blue in full sunlight through purple in low light to blue-black in low light.

casechopper

Black 14.5" plato grande Elosegui Beret from Ron Greer
IMG_4500s.jpg

IMG_4503s.jpg

For outdoor use I prefer this larger beret as it can block the sun and rain but the smaller blue 12" is a little more comfortable as it's lighter and less dense felt.

Daan

Vendor
Black 14.5" plato grande Elosegui Beret from Ron Greer

For outdoor use I prefer this larger beret as it can block the sun and rain but the smaller blue 12" is a little more comfortable as it's lighter and less dense felt.

They are great, these txapelduns by Boinas Elósegui. On one of those wet, foggy days on the Wairarapa Coast there is little that can beat a good sized txapeldun. On most other days, I prefer the Argentinean made Tolosa Tupida Plato Grande; 34cm's (or 13.4"). They are just a bit lighter and more flexible, easier to shape than the thick txapeldun by B.E. (the B.E. txapeldun is the same weight and quality as the Boinas Elósegui Tupida). Downside is that they only come with a headband (nice Moroccan leather though) and only available in size 60...
Snapshot_20110227_2.jpg
Snapshot_20110227.jpg

Poor pictures from my web cam, but you'll get the idea.

billc508

New in Town
berets anyone?

An interesting thread on berets. Here are some websites where you can obtain the "the real deal" if collecting is your game. www.legion-boutique.com this is the "store" for the french foreign legion where they sell items to collect money for the support of the retirement villa for legionnaires in the south of France. The berets are the real item, I brought back two from my service with the legion and gave one to a friend whose grandfather served but had no mementos, and the other i kept. I got one from the store for a friend who is a collector as it was the exact same thing as the berets that are issued. One of my uniform jackets I gave to my wife to wear around the house, the field jacket I sold on ebay, ahh such is life. One day you are a warrior the next day you are putting the trash out by the curb. A good site for the french made berets is www.123voyage.com, they also make berets for the military, good quality, excellent stuff. Having dual citizenship, I did a few turns with the IDF reserves in Israel. I was entitled to wear both the black beret of the tank units and the turquoise blue of the artillery but I only came back with the black one. Some of my friends had the brown of the golani commandos, blue for the police, and gray for the air force. You can buy Israeli military from the www.israelmilitary.com and www.zahal.org websites. I know the people who operate the sites and the stores in Israel and they can get you pretty much whatever you want. We used to buy extra uniform parts from them and the berets they sell are the same as the issue, no different than the one I have from the tank base where I served. I still wear one around in the winter because it's wool and sometimes when I go hiking. To properly wear one in the style of the french legion, you center it squarely on your head and the brim of the beret should be the space of two fingers above your eyebrow. The french beret folds to the left, the US and British and Israeli berets fold to the right. In actual point of fact, in a hot zone during conflict, regular battle helmets were the rule, berets do not offer much protection. But they have become stylish as emblems of service units and quite a connection with those who have gone before and will come after so there you go. c'est bon and good luck.

Daan

Vendor
Together with the introduction of South Pacific Berets' very own berets, I am happy to announce the completely new web site of South Pacific Berets. Better overview, easier ordering (all prices include international air mail postage and handling) and more specific information on the various berets, sizes, flight, material, the making of Basque berets, etc., etc.
Label+S.P.B.+2.jpg

And then, of course, our own berets. The start of a range of affordable, quality berets in pure wool, with lining and carrying the embroidered South Pacific Berets - label.
Listening to customers who found that many berets are too tight for large sized heads, we start with a range of large sized (32cm/12.6") berets with a large head-opening, in Navy, Brown, Maroon and Green, soft and easy to shape - best for sizes 59 (7 1/4) and up, soon to be followed by a similar diameter beret in Black and a range of cotton berets in a large diameter with lining.
South+Pacific+Coloured+010.JPG

For now, all S.P.B. berets come at a low price of $29.95!

Kestrel

New in Town
I like what you've done with your website, Daan. Excellent. Incidentally, I really like the Tolosa Tupida en algodón. Very comfortable and an excellent option as the weather gets warmer. I do have a question, though. I was looking at the Boinas Castilla which will likely be a good option for my 60 cm head and the description states that they are lighter in density than the Tolosa Tupidas. Does this also apply to the cotton Castillas? How do the cotton Castillas compare to the cotton Tolosa Tupidas (aside from the Castilla being best suited for larger head sizes)?

Daan

Vendor
I like what you've done with your website, Daan. Excellent. Incidentally, I really like the Tolosa Tupida en algodón. Very comfortable and an excellent option as the weather gets warmer. I do have a question, though. I was looking at the Boinas Castilla which will likely be a good option for my 60 cm head and the description states that they are lighter in density than the Tolosa Tupidas. Does this also apply to the cotton Castillas? How do the cotton Castillas compare to the cotton Tolosa Tupidas (aside from the Castilla being best suited for larger head sizes)?

Glad you like the web site, thanks.
As for the Castilla vs the Tolosa Tupida: the cotton Castilla is slightly lighter and the knitting is not as dense (as the T.T.), making it better suited for warmer weather and more breathable.
La%20Fortuna%20Gaucho%20Argentina.jpg.opt382x490o0,0s382x490.jpg
Tolosa Tupida Algodon
It is also softer, "floppier"; the T.T. is stiffer and more shape-able.
emile_03.jpg.opt446x446o0,0s446x446.jpg
Castilla
A number of customers commented on the working man's association they have with the Castilla - an easy to wear, day-to-day beret, reminiscent of France and Spain in the middle of last century.

Kestrel

New in Town
Thanks Daan. This is just the info I was looking for. :thumb:

I do agree they do have a "working man's" look to them and seem to be ideal for summer wear. Thanks again for the comparison.

casechopper

Last Sunday I wore my Elosegui 14.5" beret in heavy rain for about 45 minutes. My head stayed dry and the beret worked very well for protecting me from the rain.

One thing to note however is that after it had dried (at room temperature laying flat) it seems to have shrunk closer to 13.5" in diameter. It's a little more textured and "chunky" looking now than it was before. It fits the same as before so it seems to have shrunk most where it was wet (on top). I kind of like the new look but it's something to keep in mind. If you want a 14.5" beret that will stay a full 14.5" it will either need to stay out of the rain or be stretched (not sure if this is possible) after it gets wet.

Kestrel

New in Town
Yes, they can and do shrink a bit when they dry after getting them wet. Something to definitely consider if you want to wear one with a smaller diameter out in the rain. This is why I tend to wear my larger berets in inclement weather.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
OK, what's the correct beret etiquette?

I know what the military etiquette is, fold to the right, insignia over left eye, and wear it an inch above the brow.

What about the civilian way, is it the same, does it matter? Will I insult anyone wearing it the way the military wear it?

As you like it!
I started with pulling them straight to the front and gradually moved them to the left a bit.
Only bigger ones, of course.
Wouldnt like to look like an oak´s acorn with a small "cupule" on my head :)
Its a beret, not a yarmulke :) :)
Dark blue cotton Castilla from Daan, dug out in anticipation of spring, but worn in front of the PC.
DSCF2149.jpg

Heinrich

New in Town
Does anybody know how to clean a cotton beret? I've purchased one of those Espinosa cotton berets at Daan's shop. It's a great thing for the upcoming spring and summer here in Germany, but there's a tiny label inside, that says: "Do not wash, do not iron, do not tumble dry". Well, the latter two advice are o.k., but I am intending to wear this beret for outdoor activities in summer, so it definitely will be soaked with sweat sooner or later. And since I don't want to be taken for a skunk, it might be nice to clean it once in a while.

Daan

Vendor
Does anybody know how to clean a cotton beret?

I experimented a bit with this - you're not the only one with this question. Washing these berets in lukewarm water with a mild detergent made them shrink by approx. 15mm (or 1/2"). Washing in cold water, with again a very mild detergent, caused only minimal shrinkage (a few mm's at the most). The main problem (with any beret that gets soaking wet) is to get it dry in the same state as it was before (perfect circular shape, no funny wrinkles in the rim, etc.). Outside in the sun with a bit of wind, lying flat on a clean wooden or concrete surface worked best for me. Never hang (peg) a beret, as it will loose it's shape.
In general, you'd hardly want to give your beret a real wash - best to use a wet cloth and rub off any stains or dirt, when possible.

The same is pretty much valid for woolen berets; whenever possible - don't wash, just rub the surface with a damp cloth. Some manufacturers state that their berets can be dry-cleaned, others are simply against (overall) cleaning. If you want to wash a wool beret anyway, use cold water, a mild detergent and be gentle (no wringing or hard rubbing!). Dry flat (as mentioned above) or if you are lucky to have a tiled floor with underfloor heating, that is a great way to keep the shape while drying your beret.

Hope this helps.

Heinrich

New in Town
Thanks for your answer, Daan! Perhaps I should tinker one of those wooden disks they use in that small movie on your blog about this old spanish beret factory. It can't be that difficult: A 28 cm diameter circle, separated into two half circles, with a smooth surface - ready!

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
The following post appeared on my blog this morning; a clear and concise outline on the making of a beret:

This pictorial explanation of the making of the beret, I found on the web site of Beatex/Pierre Laulhere (France's oldest beret manufacturer since 1840). It gives a good outline of the manufacturing of the beret, in a few words and so many pictures:
laine.jpg
coiffe-brut.jpg

tricoteuse.jpg

The making of a beret: Berets are not cut out of a sheet of cloth and then shaped. They are actually knitted one at a time on knitting looms.
Traditionally, berets were closed by hand, stitch by stitch. Béatex now has machines which do the same job directly on the knitting loom.
foulon.jpg

coiffe-feutre.jpg

This round piece of knitting is then felted i.e. mechanically worked in a water solution by milling machines (the shepherds used to use a washing mill). The wool, and the beret’s diameter, shrinks as the knitting becomes thicker.
cuve.jpg

coiffe-tinte.jpg

Once turned into felt, the berets are dyed in large vats then individually dried on round moulds which determine their final size.
tondage.jpg

coiffe-gratte.jpg

The beret is first combed (originally with thistles) then shorn to discard unwanted strands. It is this combing/shearing operation which gives berets their special feel and texture.The beret may then be lined, embroidered or flocked and fitted with a leather headband, a badge or ribbon, etc. All of these are finishing touches.
confection.jpg

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Just a little upgrade about the "beret wearing" situation in Italy.
Two weeks ago, it was raining, and I wore a beret (blue, smallish, "old italian worker" style); I was hanging just outside my old Faculty at the local University, and one professor crossed the street just to talk me... he was one of my professors when I was a student, I took two exams with him (Latin) and he remembered me, but it was my beret that caused his attention... as he was wearing a beret himself :)

Anyway, the first times I started to wear one (just to honor my granddad, who wore one while in France) I expected to receive weird looks or comments. Well, turns out I was wrong, as for now I received only compliments :)

ciao!

Daan

Vendor
...two weeks ago, it was raining, and I wore a beret (blue, smallish, "old italian worker" style).....

I know that beret! I got one from an Italian friend of mine, maybe a year ago, but believing that 'size does matter', I never wore this small Italian beret.
Assimilating a bit further into 'NZ bloke culture', I recently had a 'number 1' haircut, and although I now realize that may have been a mistake, it actually works great for these smaller diameter berets.
Snapshot_20110330_2.jpg
bascoroma_med.jpg

Not the greatest of photo's, but it gives you the idea; above the Italian popular workers beret' in 24cm and below a Super Lujo by Boinas Elosegui in 25cm (or 9.8").
Snapshot_20110330_4.jpg
Supers%20003.JPG

The Italian popular workers berets are made, in Italy, by Antonio Setti in Carpi (Mo.) and to me, looking at the pictures, they may be the supplier of Fellini's berets as well...
FELLINI.jpg

I have ordered a small quantity of the Italian workers berets and they should be available at South Pacific Berets from mid-May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe