Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are their hats any good?

Lorne

I've got a couple of American Legend 5x hats and they're fairly stiff felted, but will shape with water. I've not had any colour bleed or shrinkage problems from wearing them in the rain, and they look good. The sweats aren't great but do the job. I paid around $50 each for them, and for that price I'm happy with them. If they were $100 - $150 I'd buy an Akubra instead.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Whats Wrong With This Picture?

There are some obvious discrepancies in this hat. Maybe someone can explain what's going on. Everything looks original to the hat to me, including the sweatband. It has a 2 1/4" snap down brim with a raw edge and a 4 3/4" crown as shown with a 1" grosgrain ribbon. Sculpted liner on the inside and unreeded sweatband and factory pre-blocked. I'm inclined to think that the brim may have been cut down but I really don't know. Maybe this is some type of a hybrid!!!!!

photo4-51_zpsc196d01c.jpg

photo1-76_zps05978d73.jpg

photo1-75_zps32cd71d9.jpg

photo3-76_zps0619b0df.jpg

photo3-69_zps10ec32f5.jpg

photo2-53_zps542aaf9f.jpg

photo1-71_zps911a5dfa.jpg

photo3-71_zps6e2a539f.jpg

photo5-53_zps34bcc20f.jpg

photo_zps5f257ce7.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Beautiful old hat. The sweat looks original (beautiful stitches). I'm guessing it was modified & had a new old liner installed.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Do you like wearing the hat, Purplesage? If so, perhaps the best course of (non)action is to embrace the mystery and know that when you don this lid, you have knowingly topped yourself with a bit of enigma. :)

Can someone suggest/recommend a hatter in the Los Angeles area for a ribbon replacement? I'm expecting my new Taupe Fawn Campdraft to arrive some time within the next week and I'm considering a wider ribbon, but I'd like to be there in-person to be part of the color selection. Also, I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a simple bow similar to the ones on Akubra's Fed IVs.

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
That's interesting Alan I was thinking the same but up until I got this hat I never knew that Frank H. Lee made Disney Hats. There don't seem to be an abundance of Mr. Disney hat ads so I wonder if there are any old ads out there for Disney Hats where the fine print says Frank H. Lee.

Landman

One Too Many
Sorry I am Irish (O'N) and use apostrophes as often as I can (right or wrong), it has taken 20 years to get it back in my legal name due to computer systems denial!

I'm an "O'N" myself and have had the computer system denial too! Very frustrating.

I don't have any suggestions for repairing your hats but I'm sure some of the pros here will be able to help. Good luck with your hats.

Welcome to the Lounge DanO!

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thank you Alan. This hybrid Lee/Disney is a pre blocked hat, I wonder how old it is? I get thrown off sometimes by the unreeded sweatband. I've never seen a pre-blocked Disney but I have seen plenty of pre-blocked Lee hats. I wonder if Disney was ever independent?

DanO

One of the Regulars
Also about the same hat the straw seems to be "cracking" due to age/handling is there anything I can do to prevent this? I read somewhere about using clear silicone on the inside of the hat. In particular would it be a good idea to "paint" the inside of the pinch with a clear silicone to help reinforce it? I know I should not handle the hat by the pinch but it is a habit born of wearing cheap hats that I did not care about.

Since I did not pay too much for the hat I went ahead and tried this, it worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe