Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fedoracentric

Banned
Can you explain why?

Yes. It's because western hats made after 1950 are a dime a dozen and more people want the fedoa version (the OR-style hat) than the raw brimmed, string ribboned western version of the 100. It's just a fact that the western-style 100 will go for less, even in the big sizes.

As to Majicpwr's hat. At size 7-1/4 I'd guess that he'll be able to get at least $200 for it. If it were an OR-style model, though, I'd guess he'd have gotten closer to $300.

I say this based on a long track record of ebay prices. Every 100 that comes up I bookmark to see where the prices go. Certainly there are times when they go for less or more, but what I am saying above is the average price.

I saw a size 7 western 100 barely get to $100 late last year, for instance. But a size 7 100 in the OR style went for $190.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Also, that's not the original Stetson 100 box, the 100's came in a hat trunk. The box actually looks a few decades older than the hat based on the size tag and liner.

Here's mine, supposedly 1963 according to the guy I bought it from on ebay:

I paid less than $100 for mine, size 7.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Yes. It's because western hats made after 1950 are a dime a dozen and more people want the fedoa version (the OR-style hat) than the raw brimmed, string ribboned western version of the 100. It's just a fact that the western-style 100 will go for less, even in the big sizes.
Just for that!?
That means I can get a 100 in western for less than a fedora version!?

It's in the original case (I think). Just a red Stetson hat box. The hats in great shape. No holes or moth bites. It's a size 7 1/4. Clean and looks like it's never been worn.
What's the brim size of that hat?

If you visit the weekly roundup of completed Stetson hat auctions on Collectors Weekly, you will find that most of the top prices went to modern Stetson westerns.

fedoracentric

Banned
If you visit the weekly roundup of completed Stetson hat auctions on Collectors Weekly, you will find that most of the top prices went to modern Stetson westerns.
Yes, new ones. I was meaning older ones from the 50s, 60s, 70s. Not the 30X or 100X new ones etc. Should have been more precise. Sorry 'bout that.

fedoracentric

Banned
I actually have two Stetson 30Xers. One is from that Mexican band Los Tigres del Norte. I also have an el Presidente 100X. Nice hats. Pricy, though and I can't quite tell why the 30X is a $600 hat but the 100X is a $1,000 hat. What I mean is that the quality difference isn't that obvious to me. the 30X seems just as good as the 100X to me.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The "highest" I have gone was a Stetson 20X and two Resistol 20X Black Gold. 30X Stetsons go to high for me and a 100X...
All I can say is that by the touch, the Stetson 20X feels very similar to a 7XCB.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Shaping Stetson Straw Brim

How do I put more curve in, or less curve in the brim of a straw Stetson I just picked up?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/DKMAAOxyLm9S~8Ar/$_14.JPG

DanO

One of the Regulars
Also about the same hat the straw seems to be "cracking" due to age/handling is there anything I can do to prevent this? I read somewhere about using clear silicone on the inside of the hat. In particular would it be a good idea to "paint" the inside of the pinch with a clear silicone to help reinforce it? I know I should not handle the hat by the pinch but it is a habit born of wearing cheap hats that I did not care about.

DanO

One of the Regulars
No steadfast rules. They cannot, though, be used in place of apostrophes.

Sorry I am Irish (O'N) and use apostrophes as often as I can (right or wrong), it has taken 20 years to get it back in my legal name due to computer systems denial!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe