Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
The D.A. said:
I don't care for the "ascot with tux" look, but I have to say that after seeing Hemingway wearing an ascot in another thread (the one about the Victoria Falls jacket?) I've become a big fan (of ascots, that is, although I'm a fan of Hemingway, too). Does anyone know of a good source online?

There's a few places to go online for ascots. Try www.forzieri.com and/or Ebay.

But, I have to admit my favorite ascots are from J.Press. They have a website at www.jpressonline.com but they don't have ascots listed on the website. You can request a catalog from them and order from there. I believe www.bensilver.com is the same way (no ascots on the website, but available if you request a catalog).

As far as Jeremy Piven's ascot being the subject of ridicule by the entertainment press - it is very sad, indeed. I don't think it was the proper function for an ascot, but at the same time, it looks a lot better than what I have seen from the "A-List".

Maybe next time, he should wear a tight pair of shorts with the word "juicy" across the ass? [huh]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, as far as formal wear, Iremember reading something once that said anyone can stand out by being less dressed. The challenge is to stand out while wearing he same thing as everyone else.

But as far as the ascot, I gotta vote nay. I think it is a rare person that can pull one off. I don't know him, but I don't think he puls it off. How I would judge would be pretty complex involving class (literally) age, wealth, general traditional or vintage gentleman's dress on a regular basis, Latinoness, Just always thought wealthy Latinos could pull it off probably due to some movie I saw) and a few other criteria.

In the end, gotta vote doesn't pull it off, and especially not for a fomal wear occasion.

Feraud

Bartender
I love my sloppily tied ascot!
Picture050a.jpg

I think I made MrBern a convert on the QM this year! :eusa_clap

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ascot asking....?

Perhaps this has come up before. I'll ask again!

I'm considering wearing an 'ascot' with a certain shirt and sportcoat that have. With my Borso pushed back and my hands in my coat pockets, I think I look rather dashing! (If I do say so myself!... other's though may use a completly different reference - eh, hmmm...!)

Before I go spend too much for something I'll only wear occasionally, I thought I'd inquire with the experts in the field - all of you!

What is the difference between and 'Ascot', a 'Cravat' and a 'Bib Tie'?

Any suggestions and recommendations? Also, where is a good place to buy one? (Yes - I'm watching eBay!)

Thanks gang!

-Dixon Cannon

the ascot will be worn as a tie - that is, closed shirt collar and ascot between shirt and jacket? or ascot worn under the shirt, knotted around the bare neck a la edward fox (imagine 'im wif a sportcoat)?

DayJackal1.jpg

I love this look^. Although that ^^ is not an ascot (frame by frame analysis of the film reveals that it's a silk scarf; don't ask), an ascot works realatively well to get this look.

bk

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A silk scarf is commonly worn in Europe, or at least in the Med/Agn,
rolled or wraped around the neck in lieu of a more casual open collar.
In Israel the open 'winged' collar look is popular, but scarves occasionally
can be seen there too. A more formal ascot can be purchased in most
fine haberdash, but I think the scarf is a more practical option.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Harp said:
A more formal ascot can be purchased in most
fine haberdash, but I think the scarf is a more practical option.
I've worn both and I find the ascot much easier to tie than a scarf, with much less maintenance involved. The sewn middle portion of the ascot makes for a tidier application.

ascot.gif

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Ascot vs. Cravat vs. Daytie vs. Bib Tie

Dixon Cannon said:
Ascot is just the American version of the word Cravat (Cravat is British English). Ascots/Cravats were standard business attire in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They continue on as part of morning dress for formal weddings, commonly as a grey day tie as part of a tuxedo.
After previously thinking them as stuffy and old, they've caught my attention after actor Jeremy Piven wore one recently to the Academy Awards. With the right color or pattern, they do look nice, adding just a dash of color around the neckline.
A nice website with some ordering options, they have a variety of colors available. http://www.tomsawyerwaistcoats.co.uk/subprod/day-cravats-0001761.aspx

Bib ties are something I'm not sure about. I suspect that they were worn during the Victorian Era.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

The best sources I have seen in the states for Ascots are the many Ralph Lauren Outlets around. I have bought mine there and they are very nice silk, usually of traditional patterns, and cost less than $25.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bib Tie.

Slicksuit said:
Bib ties are something I'm not sure about. I suspect that they were worn during the Victorian Era.

Thanks Slicksuit (and all!) This is good info. I'm told by another source that the "Bib Tie" is something like what the Air Force was wearing for a while; MP types. It clips around the back and hangs in the front like a 'bib'. The rectangular front then just tucks into the shirt front - top button unbuttoned.

Does that sound like something you've seen? That's not the look I'm going for so I'll scratch that one. This scarf/cravat sounds more like what I'll need.

I'm open for anymore input and suggestions. This is great!

Thanks,
Dixon Cannon

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
I've worn both and I find the ascot much easier to tie than a scarf, with much less maintenance involved. The sewn middle portion of the ascot makes for a tidier application.

Understood. I prefer a silk scarf over an ascot, though.
Preferably a RAF-type scarf: white with red polka dot; blue with white
polka dot. A silk scarf that can be untied and given to a woman.;)

Feraud

Bartender
Dixon Cannon said:
The first two have been covered so I will explain the last. A "Bib tie" is for those sloppy big boys that cannot help get food splashed on their shirtfronts.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
US Army bibtie

Dixon Cannon said:
Thanks Slicksuit (and all!) This is good info. I'm told by another source that the "Bib Tie" is something like what the Air Force was wearing for a while; MP types. It clips around the back and hangs in the front like a 'bib'. The rectangular front then just tucks into the shirt front - top button unbuttoned.

Does that sound like something you've seen? That's not the look I'm going for so I'll scratch that one. This scarf/cravat sounds more like what I'll need.

I'm open for anymore input and suggestions. This is great!

Thanks,
Dixon Cannon

I wore a military bib tie for a retirement parade and never wanted to
wear another. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe