Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Aero "JanSolo" Long Half Belt order

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
I reckon JanSolo should be named the Patron Saint of FQHH Jackets for services rendered to the industry!

I would like to say thanks to Jan for consistently and patiently explaining the options available to new Aero owners such as the olive gabardine, olive drab stitching and the rear hem facing. I reckon that with a little persuasion, Amanda could be asked to nominate the "JanSolo" package for offering to owners at the jacket design stage.

Subject to a last minute decision on colour when the samples arrive through the letterbox, I am about to pull the trigger on the following Aero Long Half Belt...

Brown FQHH LHB
42"
Olive gabardine lined
Olive drab stitched
3" rear hem facing
Corduroy/moleskin lined pockets
Left and right vertical inner pockets on the leather facing
Outer pockets standard
Storm cuffs (well I *do* live in Scotland).

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I live only 32 miles from the workshop itself and that Amanda (I think) was very happy to send me samples of all the available colours. Apart from any hiccups due to world-cup-induced comas and staff holidays, their work queue is currently around 8-10 weeks too which is excellent! In before the "in time for Christmas" rush I hope.

Anyway, thanks again to Jan and all the other folks who have kindly shown excellent pictures of their jackets and closeups of details/stitching and pockets. An eyeball trawl and heavy use of the Forum Search has allowed me to come to Aero with what I hope is a firm wish list for the jacket.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Hi DanielCoffey

Agree with everything you say regarding JanSolo. I've also incorporated many of his ideas into my coats.

I can't believe that you haven't dropped in at the Aero factory to be properly measured. If I lived a mere 32 miles from Aero, I'd be camping out on their doorstep. Maybe that's just me though :)

N.B. I'm not even sure if they approve of personal customers turning up. But why not give them a ring to ask? It could be your passport to a hassle free, perfect fitting garment.

Lear

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
They love customers turning up. There is an invitation on the website, but there is a catch. Actually there are a couple...

I don't have a car, so would have to use the buses. According to the timetable it is just under two hours each way plus my time in the workshop which wouldn't be less than an hour if they love their jackets as much as I reckon they do. So far, so good, but then we get to the good part. I am a full-time carer for my disabled wife. She needs constant personal care and can't eat/drink on her own. Five hours or more is a lot for someone to go without a drink, not to mention a toilet break. I'll have to manage with a distance consultation.

So far, the woman I have spoken to (probably Amanda) has been very helpful and says that the range of measurements I have given will be more than enough for a good fit. This is also the first time I have come across a custom clothing company who don't bill you till dispatch. I would have expected bill on order but she said no - not till they ship which is great.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Apologies. All understood. It's good to know that they still entertain customers at the door.

I might just try to combine pleasure with pleasure, and do the next dirty deed (LHB) up in kilt land. The Highlands (further north) are my favourite place in the world. Somewhere called Kinloch Hourn holds a special place in my heart.

Do post pics, which is something I still haven't got around to doing :eek:

Lear

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Daniel,
You will be more than happy with a Long Halfbelt. Excellent choice! All the details are great and it looks like the same jacket (also 42) I have.
Cheers,
Andy

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Hi Andy

Yes it does look good - I saw your pics of the jacket when I was deliberating between a Hercules or the LHB. Amanda reckons a 40 will fit me having gone over my measurements as she says it is quite a roomy jacket (my chest was 40 1/2" relaxed with a light jumper on).

By the way - with your good haircut have you considered getting a hat? A Penman or Adventurebilt perhaps?

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Dave,
My chest is 42" with a jumper and the LHB fits perfect. I must say the LHB is not as boxy as a Highwayman, though. The Hercules is a nice looking jacket also, but I guess I like the more plain, straight look of the LHB.
The only hat I have right now is a Filson Packer Hat. More an outdoor hat maybe, but I like the sturdy cloth and it's waterproof too. I use it mostly on walking trips.
filsonpackerhat.jpg

Will go for a dress hat and just ordered a Steston Longwood straw hat.
More a summer style hat. Pictures will follow after recieving the hat.
stestonrafialonwood.jpg

Still not sure about what hat will go best with both the LHB and 1930's Halfbelt...
Cheers,
Andy

Peacoat

Bartender
Daniel, your remarks about Jan are spot on. Although, he is much too young to know so much about Aero jackets. I think that before Germany he worked in the shop at Aero, and that's where he learned his business!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld