Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's steerhide question

greenc

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Hope the weekend is shaping up nicely for you all.

I have experience with just a single Real McCoy's horsehide jacket so I have no real basis of comparison between that and steer hide, which is why I'm turning to you all.

In your collective experience...

- Can steer hide be as stiff as horsehide?
- Does the thickness of the hide affect the stiffness?
- Speaking to Real McCoy's specifically, what are your thoughts on the steer hide pieces you've seen and/or handled?
- Finally, does anyone have any experience with this older model steer hide J100?

Thanks very much, looking forward to speaking with you soon. Take care.

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.38.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.38.55 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.39.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.39.07 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.39.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 3.39.25 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
- Can steer hide be as stiff as horsehide?
Tanning determines leather stiffness. Animal species is irrelevant. Bovine leather is generally thicker than horsehide.

- Does the thickness of the hide affect the stiffness?
To an extent. 0.9mm leather can be made to be cardboard stiff and hold shape better than soft 2mm leather.
Obviously though, the thicker the leather, the grater stiffness can be achieved (see "boiled" leather).

- Finally, does anyone have any experience with this older model steer hide J100?
All RMC jackets are of a very high quality and standard. I wouldn't worry about it.

greenc

One of the Regulars
A Buco label in a Bates knock off. It’s a super cool jacket but it’s a straight up Bates rip off. Unless I missed the brightly colored two tone Buco CR that never existed?
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.

@ton312 it does indeed have a Bates flair to it, but I dig that - I'm not fussy when it comes to repros or knock-offs. I bought a blue Bates CR but had to sell it because the proportions were just off for me - fit in the shoulders but was probably 2-inches too short in the chest and at least 2-inches short in the sleeves.

Seller definitely got the measurements wrong and my guess is that it was a custom piece from the outset.

My horsehide RMC shows really nice creasing in the arms and chest, so I'm wondering if softer steer hide will also hold shape like that.

I know Vanson has its competition weight, which is apparently quite substantial, but I've never handled it.

Is Vanson's C2 steer hide or cow hide? I ask because it seems soft, but perhaps will still hold a crease from wear? That's the type of visual companion I'm trying to make between horsehide and steer/cow hides.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.

@ton312 it does indeed have a Bates flair to it, but I dig that - I'm not fussy when it comes to repros or knock-offs. I bought a blue Bates CR but had to sell it because the proportions were just off for me - fit in the shoulders but was probably 2-inches too short in the chest and at least 2-inches short in the sleeves.

Seller definitely got the measurements wrong and my guess is that it was a custom piece from the outset.

My horsehide RMC shows really nice creasing in the arms and chest, so I'm wondering if softer steer hide will also hold shape like that.

I know Vanson has its competition weight, which is apparently quite substantial, but I've never handled it.

Is Vanson's C2 steer hide or cow hide? I ask because it seems soft, but perhaps will still hold a crease from wear? That's the type of visual companion I'm trying to make between horsehide and steer/cow hides.
I didn’t intend to come off as a dick. I actually love the jacket but I think the Buco label is out of place. As for steer/cow vs HH…I’ve almost always found bovine hides to be far more substantial. This steer from Aero:
IMG_5286.jpeg
IMG_5543.jpeg

And for comparisons sake, new comp weight cow from Vanson:
IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

The Aero weighed around 8lbs and the Vanson is just under 6. Both extremely heavy and stiff as a board when new. A new Vanson is literal cardboard. It’s the stiffest leather out of the box I’ve ever encountered.

The only notable difference between say Aero’s FQHH, was that the hide felt thinner (far from thin though, by any means).
The last new FQHH I had was this jacket. Somewhat crisp feeling midnight blue.
IMG_9465.jpeg

All this to say I don’t think you’ll notice an appreciable difference in the RMC against their HH. Quality tannage on a quality hide will always produce a good result, regardless of the beast which bore it. I have no doubt the blue CR will develop beautifully. I also had what I would call the inspiration for that jacket, it was cowhide and absolutely killer. I regret selling it.
IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_6257.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe