Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Roadster Planning

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Here's a question regarding my new jacket: which one would you prefer for a Teamster, regular FQHH or oil-pull HH? I understand the oil-pull is more pliable and relaxed out-of-the-box? Thanks in advance.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I personally would take CXL Steer over FQHH ( more pliable, better break in, more grain ) or even MWHH.

Oil Pull is great stuff .. but not as shiney or grainy as CXL steer or FQHH.

It's such a personal thing I'd suggest you get samples and compare them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here's a question regarding my new jacket: which one would you prefer for a Teamster, regular FQHH or oil-pull HH? I understand the oil-pull is more pliable and relaxed out-of-the-box? Thanks in advance.

DT I think oil-pull HH is medium weight, and you would be comparing two completely different hides. I am extremely happy with my brown smooth (regular) FQHH Teamster but am of two minds as I have always been intrigued with oil-pull MWHH. Ah but you're asking for preference, so guess I would have to say FQHH. Smaller jacket though - maybe oil-pull MWHH. [huh]

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Just my personal experience... standard CXL FQHH is impressive and a great product but too stiff for comfort. Also less grain overall than steer. Aero steer jackets I've seen, from 80s to present day, have been super grainy. It eases up a bit with body heat and general wear but it's not something I'd get again. Would like to try Tumbled or Vintage or whatever it's called these days. Or a medium horse or light steer. I think, since I'm not on a bike, heavy horse and heavy steer ain't my bag

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My limited experience is that any leather might vary significantly from batch to batch, regardless whether it is goatskin , horsehide, or steerhide. The brown regular smooth FQHH from my Teamster was very flexible from the onset and is even nicer now. My previous HWM with black vintage FQHH was stiff as a horse saddle, although softened up a bit over time. I have two jackets with veg tanned goatskin that are the most flexible of all, much more so than my Mulligan with MWHH, but I recall a FL member from way back that requested the thickest, stiffest goatskin available and said it was what he got. I suppose that one could request the thinnest, most flexible FQHH available, although that might vary depending on exactly what is available when one comes up in the queue at the time the jacket is cut.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Good reminder! That's a factor I've noticed others commenting on previously. I didn't specify any particular weight or thickness as I was new to this hide.

The hide I got was significantly stiffer than the soft, pliable sample i had. I hadn't appreciated when ordering that there could be such variance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
But seriously, it really doesn't take that long to break-in Aero's FQHH...

Well mine wasn't close to being comfortable after ten years. Even when broken in or "soft" any 3 oz leather isn't to everyone's taste. This stuff is fairly personal.

frussell

One Too Many
I got one of the "storse" LHBs ( not on purpose), and it was every bit as stiff as my FQHH Teamster, and much, much heavier. As stated before, every batch is different, and you could always ask for a medium weight horsehide. That big CXL steer jacket weighed in at over 11 lbs, and didn't grain up any quicker than my FQHH one. I wonder who owns that beast now? Frank.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, Frank, I guess your size is even bigger than mine, this adds to the weight.;) And, IIRC, you opted for the then so-called "super-heavy" FQHH (which turned out to be steer)? BTW, any info 'bout the infamous storsegate, wasn't there even a trial??:eeek:
I know the LHB in FQHH, it is my daily wearer, so I'm not afraid of the weight of the Teamster. It is more about comfort and warmth, maybe I should go for a lesser hide like MWHH for the transition-period of the year? And "oil-pull" is MWHH... I have samples here, my problem is, they are a) 3 years old and b) I like the feel of the oil-pull, but not the colour. My LHB is "antique brown" FQHH, btw. A bit lighter shade than the normal brown.
Descisions, descisions... :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
any info 'bout the infamous storsegate, wasn't there even a trial??:eeek:
I know the LHB in FQHH, it is my daily wearer, so I'm not afraid of the weight of the Teamster. It is more about comfort and warmth, maybe I should go for a lesser hide like MWHH for the transition-period of the year? And "oil-pull" is MWHH... I have samples here, my problem is, they are a) 3 years old and b) I like the feel of the oil-pull, but not the colour. My LHB is "antique brown" FQHH, btw. A bit lighter shade than the normal brown.
Descisions, descisions... :D

Trial is set for next month, anticipated for the 26th. I'd go for cordovan, the stuff they've got in just now is a particularly nice shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe