Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
kiltie said:
I just added a Federation IV Standard to my pile ( which includes a Squatter, an Adventurer, and an old slouch hat ). This is my first hat from Hatsdirect, as the other two were out of David Morgan. Each has it's own perks and minuses. The Squatter and the Adventurer are both VERY soft and pliable, but have an outwardly "coarse" appearance. My new Federation has a much smoother appearance, but in comparison to the DMs is chock full o'stiffener.

This new Federation is a really neat looking hat and, to my relief, much more refined dressier - looking than the other "Imperial" hats I've seen thus far. Can anyone say if this is relative to this model, Hatsdirect, or just that the felt has changed in the year since I got my Squatter... strange.
It may be relative to the model; in the info about Federations at Hats Direct they mention that they finish the Deluxes to a finer finish than is typical of the Heritage series. I have one each of standard and deluxe, and I consider them both dress felt. I have a CEO as well, and since it's a dress hat, it also has a finer finish.

The stiffness seems to vary a bit. After being out in the rain a few times and steam bashing it several different ways, my tawny fawn Fed IV standard is very soft and pliable. I think all of the Feds would get to that state over time. Mine has the feel of a soft old vintage fedora, yet keeps its shape very well. And I just got it in mid-November, so be patient.

It helps to just punch and flop the hat around for awhile when you get it, and that will relax the felt. Punch the crown in and pop it out again several times. Then grab the brim with one hand and flop it back and forth like you're fanning a fire. Then move your hand around the brim, giving it a good flopping at each position until you've flopped the brim at every point. If you do this a couple of evenings and *then* wet down the felt to crease it, it will become a nice soft hat.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
My Campdraft came on New Year's eve morning and I think I have it the way I want it.

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

dawgvet

Familiar Face
That hat looks awesome KeyGrip. Is that color the Akubra version of silver belly? Where did you order from? I have a tawny fawn on order. Nice hat.
Jed

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Dawgvet...email Hatsdirect about the silver belly Camp Draft, they have them but don't list them. They actually have a lot of hats that they don't list.:eusa_doh: [huh] :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
Yeah but you have an anniversary every week at your place ...IMHO of course!;) ;) :eek:
??:eusa_doh: lol

While in Monteagle I saw Portolan's Tawny Fawn Fed. He said it was a leftover Fed III. I personally prefer the taller crown on the III for me and decided to email Hats Direct from my BlackBerry on the way home from tennesee. They replied before I got home and said they have one left in size 61 and will hold it for me!!! Thanks for that tip Portolan!!
When it arrives I will confirm that it fits and then will send it to Optimo to have the brim cut to 2 1/2 all the way around and get the brim bound in a 9 ligne binding that matches the ribbon. 9 ligne being Whippet size binding??

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
When it arrives [Fed III tawny fawn] I will confirm that it fits and then will send it to Optimo to have the brim cut to 2 1/2 all the way around and get the brim bound in a 9 ligne binding that matches the ribbon. 9 ligne being Whippet size binding??
With the Fed III, you could have a 2-3/4" brim all around if you wanted. If I went non-dimensional, I'd at least keep it at 2-5/8". It'd probably work real well on a bigger guy like you.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
All but 2 of my hats are wider brimmed. I have one that is 2 1/8 and my Penneys that is 2 1/2 so I want to add another 2 1/2 to the collection. I wear that Penneys alot, don't know if he 2 1/2 looks right on me but I like it.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld