Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab

Oh well, while my search for the next hat continues, the fun begins anew with the ones I already have. What more could I ask for? :)

For better or for worse there are no limits on fun and over indulgance around here, Neo! :D

Work that brim, Baby! :eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It FINALLY rained here!!!

Got the LR soaked, can't wait to see how if feels when dry.
Here's a pic of what I did with the brim. I'll post a better one, possibly a headshot, tomorrow when the sun comes back out. I like it a lot!

HatsDaily2.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
:eusa_clap Looks really nice! Not overtly western but has that flair. I know my Heritage felt gets nicer each time it's wet or steamed, even.

On a side note, we've been getting rain the past two days ourselves... It's VERY welcome.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If you call that soaked, My Bushman must be getting submerged :) Yesterday , by the time I came in the house I had been out long enough that it had soalked through around the outside of the brim and was TOTALY three shades DARKER in color! When I put it back on this am it was still raining and the Bushman was not yet dry! Sun came out this afternoon and it got some of the sun and is now getting back to it's original color ! The GOOD thing about a western or Australian shape to the brim is how it can dump the water around and to your back. The Snap brim I have on my Bushman kinda directs it all out the front :)
BTW, I like the shape you are getting on that brim. Looks good keep giving it some curl towards the front and it will be just right. I'll try to get a pic of my Father's old Stetson which will be going to Peters Bros. soon. I think you'd like the curl on the brim of it. lookin good Tennessee :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nice! I happen to like the western brim curl. I even do it to my Federation on occasion. It probably isn't as functional for sun protection as snapping it down all around, however.

Neophyte

Very nice Rodkins! I wondered what the R.M. looked like. Bravo! :eusa_clap!

Alright, finally got some light today, so I curled the brim a little more. I may still have some work to do, but here's what I've got so far:

LightningRidgeReCrease.jpg

and...the noggin shot:

DailyHat2.jpg

I really do like this brim curl, but the brim needs to be wider so that I still get good protection from rain (necessary for us four-eyes :D) lol!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Now THAT is YOU !! Ya done GOOD man !! :) I like it !! The more you wear it and handle it by the brim the MORE it will get BETTER :) Now get a nice horsehair band for it and it will POP :)

Neophyte

Thanks! I've been thinking about doing exactly that, actually!

Despite the taper in the crown, it does look better to me as a small-scale western, sort of like training wheels on a bike before I take the next step.

Besides, I didn't really like the LR as an outback hat...I don't know why [huh].

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ther's nothing FAUX Western about that hat ! You've made a Western hat. Not ALL Western hats always had 4+" brims and 5+" crowns. That has sort of become the "norm" no days but has NOT always been so! :)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hello all, here I am in my MOD Slouch Clan Shaw cap-badge on the upturned side. Have had it for about 5 years. Time for a re-blocking and bashing. Hope you like it

Jeff

Sloutchfrontview.jpg

SloutchSideview.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Changed my latest Akubra order at DM's .....

.... and have decided to go for what I feel is an architypal Aussie style of hat....
the Cattleman in the Fawn (Tan really to me) with one of his Double Round Kangaroo hatbands. They are checking on my size and will get back to me today if any problems. Here's some pics of hat and band from DM's site for those not familiar with this hat ( I realize it's well known by most of ya :)). Am gonna keep this one bone stock and just WEAR it and let time do any mods it does :) Will give my Bushman some rest as my bad weather hat I figure :)
hat:
1613fwn_lg61.jpg

hatband:
885nat_1616_lg61.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
.... and have decided to go for what I feel is an architypal Aussie style of hat....
the Cattleman in the Fawn (Tan really to me) with one of his Double Round Kangaroo hatbands. They are checking on my size and will get back to me today if any problems. Here's some pics of hat and band from DM's site for those not familiar with this hat ( I realize it's well known by most of ya :)). Am gonna keep this one bone stock and just WEAR it and let time do any mods it does :) Will give my Bushman some rest as my bad weather hat I figure :)
hat:

I love my Cattleman!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I put just a little curl in my Coober Pedy last night. Fun stuff. I'll put a little more in there when I get a chance.
2c881fa4.jpg

Before:
5ddaf200.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe