Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I'm guessing you're not an umbrella man, huh lol?

Nope, I'm not English or sophisticated American gentlemanly enough for pulling off the proper carrying of a brolly. lol

Randy

P.S are there any sophisticated American gentlemen anymore? :p Oh wait, it only takes a look around here to find MANY examples. ;) :eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
Nope, I'm not English or sophisticated American gentlemanly enough for pulling off the proper carrying of a brolly. lol

Randy

P.S are there any sophisticated American gentlemen anymore? :p Oh wait, it only takes a look around here to find MANY examples. ;) :eusa_clap

lol

I wouldn't call myself sophisitcated. I have an umbrella to keep my backpack from getting soaked.
Also, my dad advised me that the wider the umbrella I have, the greater chance that pretty women will huddle up to me during a heavy rain lol.

Rick Blaine

Neophyte said:
lol

...Also, my dad advised me that the wider the umbrella I have, the greater chance that pretty women will huddle up to me during a heavy rain lol.

:eek:fftopic: Junior, you need to go to Vet School after you get a undergrad. The ratio is about 1/50 or greater! It's like a Sorority House!
;)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
lol

I wouldn't call myself sophisitcated. I have an umbrella to keep my backpack from getting soaked.
Also, my dad advised me that the wider the umbrella I have, the greater chance that pretty women will huddle up to me during a heavy rain lol.

I'd rather take my chances with a trench or overcoat... it's even cozier. ;)

I can understand carrying one if you're needing to keep something like a pack dry.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Let's Play A Round of Guess The Hat!

Just stopped by Akubra's official website, and noticed a hat in the homepage slideshow that interests me. It's the hat worn by the guy splashing water on his face. Any guesses as to what model it is? I love the sloppy side dent "cattleman" like appearance of this particular hat.

Randy

P.S nevermind, it appears to be a modified Bronco. Still a great looking hat!

theinterchange

One Too Many
That or a Silver Spur. I had to get close to my monitor and inspect the photo then compare it to the product shots... I must have looked like I was blind as a mole.

witwmole1.jpg

lol

Randy

Neophyte

I don't want to shock anybody, but HatsDirect has either stopped offering the Squatter in willow green, or they've run out...either way, currently it only seems to be available in carbon grey :( ...

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I don't want to shock anybody, but HatsDirect has either stopped offering the Squatter in willow green, or they've run out...either way, currently it only seems to be available in carbon grey :( ...

Really? I thought I had seen it offered in willow only a few days ago, must have been mistaken!

Randy

P.S Sure 'nuff, it's only available in carbon grey now.

Neophyte

Even worse, at the current Aussie-US exchange rate, a Banjo Paterson from DavidMorgan is about the same price as the same hat from EA...which is still less than the same hat from HD...

That Heritage fur better be nice lol!

Neophyte

CRH said:
If it's naughty just give it a spanking.

lol
......and with that, I will turn around and walk away hurriedly, making my best attempt to appear nonchalant lol...

As a memorable frame of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels once said: "Let us never speak of this again."

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Even worse, at the current Aussie-US exchange rate, a Banjo Paterson from DavidMorgan is about the same price as the same hat from EA...which is still less than the same hat from HD...

That Heritage fur better be nice lol!

It's interesting the Hats Direct prices seem higher than I remember them, yet Everything Australian is cheaper. [huh]

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
It's interesting the Hats Direct prices seem higher than I remember them, yet Everything Australian is cheaper. [huh]

Randy

Cheaper, but you gotta be lucky; hopefully the color and size you want are in stock, unless you're willing to wait three months (I am not).

I'm flip-flopping between the Banjo Paterson and the Lightning Ridge. DM has the LR in Sand, and I gotta say, it looks really, really attractive :) .

I've already filled my "fedora" hat niche with the green Camp Draft, now I just want a Heritage fur hat, preferably wide brim (and I don't like the FedIVs for some reason, in case any of you guys were going to mention it). I keep going back to Schwert's pic in the "Akubra Bushman and new member" thread-it's a really great photo!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Cheaper, but you gotta be lucky; hopefully the color and size you want are in stock, unless you're willing to wait three months (I am not).

I'm flip-flopping between the Banjo Paterson and the Lightning Ridge. DM has the LR in Sand, and I gotta say, it looks really, really attractive :) .

I've already filled my "fedora" hat niche with the green Camp Draft, now I just want a Heritage fur hat, preferably wide brim (and I don't like the FedIVs for some reason, in case any of you guys were going to mention it). I keep going back to Schwert's pic in the "Akubra Bushman and new member" thread-it's a really great photo!

I REALLY want a Sand Akubra but can't decide which hat I want. Of the hats you named I like both the Banjo and Lightning Ridge... tough call wish I could give more of an answer!

Randy

P.S You know the Overlander has a wider brim than either of the others, and looks really killer in Sand

EggHead

Practically Family
Banjo Paterson proper size?

I have read that Akubra hats come in half a size too large. So that when weathered, they will shrink a little to fit for correct size.
I did notice that a 59cm Sydney that I bought recently is about half size too large for me. I put in the supplied single felt pad and it fits just right (second pad made it too tight). When the rainy season comes and goes, I expect that I will remove the felt pad.

So, the question I have is how will this work with a Heritage Collection hats where the felt is thicker and not prone to shrinkage?

If I was to order one, should I stick with 59cm and always wear a felt pad?
What experiences do you guys have?

Thanks,
Egghead

yes, don't go smaller

EggHead said:
I have read that Akubra hats come in half a size too large. So that when weathered, they will shrink a little to fit for correct size.
I did notice that a 59cm Sydney that I bought recently is about half size too large for me. I put in the supplied single felt pad and it fits just right (second pad made it too tight). When the rainy season comes and goes, I expect that I will remove the felt pad.

So, the question I have is how will this work with a Heritage Collection hats where the felt is thicker and not prone to shrinkage?

Thanks,
Egghead

regardless of the quality of the felt, there may be some shrinkage, and a little padding is always ok, but always keeping the hat on a stretcher (like my fed 4) is aggravating. :rage:

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
P.S You know the Overlander has a wider brim than either of the others, and looks really killer in Sand

I'm not sure that I like the rolled brim on that overlander
At any rate, the barramundi band on the BP is a bit too shiny for me.
The LR also seems to have less taper in the crown than the BP.
...and let's face it, that opal stone is a really cool addition lol!

Oddly, the Heritage Fawn looks like a light grey on DM's photos...

theinterchange

One Too Many
EggHead said:

Thanks,
Egghead

There's a lot of talk about Akubra sizing being either too large or too small, yet in all the 6 + Akubras I've owned the sizing has been dead on to my head. [huh] The only thing I've had to let shrink a tad is the sweatband on one hat. [Federation IV Deluxe]

I own a Heritage felt and think the fit is better with it than any of the Imperials that I own/have owned.

Having said that... I think for most, Akubra sizing is something that takes a bit of figuring out at first.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe