Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
JimmyTheLid...

...Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Yooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Neo -- if it helps at all, I ordered that lid last Sunday, when you were still a size 59! :D Actually, when I didn't hear back from EA for a couple days, I went back to the website and saw that they had updated the Campdraft page to say that they were out of Size 60. I didn't think I had made the cut, but got the ship notice the next day. So, it may well be that I got the last one in that size...:eek:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Hey, Neo -- if it helps at all, I ordered that lid last Sunday, when you were still a size 59! :D Actually, when I didn't hear back from EA for a couple days, I went back to the website and saw that they had updated the Campdraft page to say that they were out of Size 60. I didn't think I had made the cut, but got the ship notice the next day. So, it may well be that I got the last one in that size...:eek:

Don't worry. I'm not mad, I'm just being overly dramatic.

Unfortunately, my emoticon pyramid took up all 10 image spaces, so I couldn't add the lol one.

...At any rate, I understand. I can't really order a hat until September rolls in, so I was outta luck anyways.

I just thought it was ironic that as soon as I learned what I need in a hat, Mr. E Train tells me that EA's website update listed size 60 as sold out. I then remembered your post and I was scream-thinking "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" lol.

Oh well, like I told EA, I guess either they can reblock a hat for me or I can OTK a size 59...whatever happens, I'm okay as long as those two size 59s aren't gone lol.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The Campdraft really is a very practical hat. Here is one more example.

For a lack of pockets, I have just placed a bag of tobacco in the crown of my Squatter. If I had a Campdraft, I would have been able to fit my pipe.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
noticed this a moment ago

I was looking over the open road thread. The Akubra Silverbelly is always said to be on the tan side. What if Akubra Silverbelly wasn't silverbelly but Estes Tan

1951ORAd.jpg

I pirated this pic from the Open Road thread..but look at that hat color in the sketch. Can anyone comment on this?

frussell

One Too Many
Pretty Close

That looks like every Akubra Campdraft in Silverbelly I've seen. Stetson has some cowboy hats in this color that they call Ranch Tan now. Frank

danofarlington

frussell said:
That looks like every Akubra Campdraft in Silverbelly I've seen. Stetson has some cowboy hats in this color that they call Ranch Tan now. Frank
Why are these Stetsons (and Campdrafts) so cool? I say that meaning that they are. I can't get enough of looking at them. But I couldn't stand them in the 1960s, as they represented a prevailing culture that I wasn't in, in a region of the country I wasn't in. Now, they look very distinctively male without being over the top.

Neophyte

danofarlington said:
Why are these Stetsons (and Campdrafts) so cool? I say that meaning that they are. I can't get enough of looking at them. But I couldn't stand them in the 1960s, as they represented a prevailing culture that I wasn't in, in a region of the country I wasn't in. Now, they look very distinctively male without being over the top.

Versatility, mi amigo, versatility. Coolness, for me, comes from adaptability. These hats no longer evoke for me a "western" or "country" sensibility, although they can be styled that way. They are just a simply good looking hat.

Also, pulled the trigger on a Campdraft in bluegrass green, size 59, last night. Contrary to what some were telling me, Sam at EverythingAustralian is capable of reblocking a hat Long Oval before shipping it out. He offered and I accepted. It'll be worth the extra couple of weeks just to have a hat that doesn't give me a headache.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
cybergentleman said:
I pirated this pic from the Open Road thread..but look at that hat color in the sketch. Can anyone comment on this?

FWIW -- here is an Open Road that is a match for the Estes Tan found in the Stetson ad.

Here is an outdoors shot of that same lid, alongside a Stetson Weekender of the same color:

Weekender-OR.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
conclusion?

So is it safe to say that Akubra is using the "Stetson Estes Tan" felt color and not "Stetson Silverbelly"? My understanding is that Akubra produced open roads years ago; but I would still expect the felt colors to have matched between manufacturers.

So, does anyone have an older campdraft (ie akubra made open road) in silverbelly?...from what, the 60's?

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Received My CD

Well I received my CD today....and I am pleased. This hat wasn't as large as I anticipated and it fit well right out of the box (ok a little loose at first but after a little steam during the creasing, it fits well). Additionally, I like the bound edge and the ribbon ends are not too long as others have stated. The only mod I did on this hat was to remove the wind trolley; didn't really like it.

This is definitely my new outdoors hat! I will post pics as soon as I can find the camera! Thanks for all the information.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Received my newest a couple days ago, a Glen Grey CD (size 58 Neo ;). I was a bit concerned that it would be too light after seeing some of the pics on this thread but in person it is nicely dark. It looks awesome with my charcoal Double Macinaw Cruiser!

I tried my first diamond crease and it came out beautifully. Really sharp hat, Can't wait for cooler weather now...

Mav

A-List Customer
cybergentleman said:
So is it safe to say that Akubra is using the "Stetson Estes Tan" felt color and not "Stetson Silverbelly"? My understanding is that Akubra produced open roads years ago; but I would still expect the felt colors to have matched between manufacturers.

Seems to be the case. My CD in Silverbelly (bought this year), sitting side- by- side with my grandad's silverbelly OR (late 50's) and my dad's (late 60's) is somewhat "browner."

As an aside note many old fedoras that were worn regularly can be faded in color so lighter than originally sold. A trick that the cleaners and renovators do is to disassemble the hat and turn the felt inside out as the inside is often undamaged and closer to the original color with less sun fading. [huh]

I have an old JC Penny's fedora it maybe a Marathon with liner removed. It is faded and pretty beat up but it's my yard work hat that I love. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe