Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Torpedo

One Too Many
Neo, you are wearing well that Campdraft, and I see you give it plenty of use.

BTW, have no misgivings, it suits you well. Golden Era -like proportioned hats may be daunting at first, because of the larger brims and (specially, I think) fuller crowns, but once you get over it, you wonder how it could be you actually preferred those at one time... ;)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really do think my favorite aspect of the Campdraft is that it is a very casual hat, or rather, it's got "country" influence. I don't have any suits and very few dress clothes, so the Campdraft works perfectly for me. I also like the lighter color, it just shows the shape better.

Oh, and thank you for the compliment.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Glad to hear that you've settled in to the CD, especially since I'm one of the ones that recommended it. When I first got mine, I had the same "Goodgawdawmightyitshuge!" reaction, but that passes pretty quickly. Now I'm looking forward to fall so that I can pair mine with jeans and a shotgun for dove season!

Neophyte

You, Chuck Bobuck and GTDean were the major influences in my decision, I admit. I'm very glad I went with the CD, it's a great hat that works with all my casual clothes, as well as being a perfect weather hat :D .

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Just Pulled the Trigger

On an Akubra Campdraft. As I posted elsewhere on this site, I need a country hat for my fly fishing outings. The sun here can be brutal and I need a good hat that will stand up to the elements. I hope the quality of the Imperial Felt will not disappoint! I own two Fed IVs in the Heritage quality and really enjoy the look and feel of the felt. Just thought I would share with you all!

Neophyte

That's great. I suspect you might start wearing the CD for more than just flyfishing, though lol. I intended to only use mine as a weather hat, but I just like it so much.

Taupe Fawn is a great color, too. It's a safe color and very casual, I think you'll like it. I'm not sure how you'll react to Imperial Quality felt now that you've spoiled yourself on heritage, but I gotta say: After about 3 weeks of wearing, with only 3 rainstorm exposures to speak of, the Campdraft has really, really softened up, and the brim has become a bit floppier (only noticeabe if my bend it with your hands, the bound brim keeps it right in place the rest of the time, but it feels great :D).

Oh, and don't forget to post pics. This thread kinda slowed for a while.

Nikx

New in Town
A big thanks again to Richard Warren for sending me this hat!

I like the sharp down-slope on the front of the brim so much in you guys's pics that I decided to do it to mine :)

campd.jpg

James71

A-List Customer
My Silverbelly CD is getting its first wear to work today. Ive paired it with a white business shirt and pair of tan trousers, and my leather bomber jacket. Its friday so we go a little casual here today.

I reckon its fitting in pretty well.

I just cut the plastic liner out of it as I sat here. Most of my akubras have had a plastectomy. When I did the first one (the CEO) I was amazed at how much more comfortable it was. It seems to breath a lot better and I dont get a sweaty head and the subsequent hat hair.

Nikx

New in Town
Not sure, it doesn't seem to have any indication as to the colour. It's darker in person though, thanks to the dumb flash.

Neophyte

Nikx said:
Not sure, it doesn't seem to have any indication as to the colour. It's darker in person though, thanks to the dumb flash.

Well, is it gray?

I only ask because, with your camera and lighting and MY monitor, that hat looks sorta olive brown, kinda like the MidBrown Campdraft you see every once in a while.

Neophyte

I mean, the Campdraft currently comes in Bluegrass Green (EA), Glen Grey (HD and others), Silverbelly (HD and others), Taupe Fawn (HD and others), and MidBrown (special order). Those are all very different, so it should be easy to tell.

Is it brown? Grey? Sand? Green? or Tan?

Nikx

New in Town
Looks dark gray to me in my hand lol But now that I look at the picture I posted it does look green-ish, perhaps my camera's settings are knocked out of line.[huh]

Neophyte

It's all good, Nikx. I just remember someone offering to send you a Glen Grey. I would have been REALLY, REALLY jealous if someone had sent you a MidBrown lol!

Nikx

New in Town
Lloyd said:
Here's a Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australian. 7 days from click to delivery.

It arrived Friday and it rained all day yesterday, followed by a 3 hour hike today to add a lot of sweat to the more than abundant rain water from yesterday. Perfect conditions for hat taming:)

No spotting or any other troubles. Now I see why everyone loves their Akubras and I will not hesitate to recommend them.

AkubraCampdraftFeb2820103.jpg

On second inspection, this is my hat (well someone elses :p, but same colour). So I guess it IS green, though my eyes can't see it (in my hand, nor in the picture I quoted). Then again I'm always arguing with people as to whether a certain colour is more green or more blue, so I can't be trusted :p I'm not colour-blind though maybe I see things in the blue-green-gray spectrum slightly different.

Neophyte

Nikx said:
On second inspection, this is my hat (well someone elses :p, but same colour). So I guess it IS green, though my eyes can't see it (in my hand, nor in the picture I quoted). Then again I'm always arguing with people as to whether a certain colour is more green or more blue, so I can't be trusted :p

That's Bluegrass Green, but with a washed out photo. I think we're all getting confused here. In this pic, the Bluegrass Green looks like Glen Grey. I distinctly remember you being offered a Glen Grey Campdraft. So unless you went and bought a bluegrass green CD from EverythingAustralian, I'm pretty sure you've got Glen Grey.

Trust me, the green of this hat is a rich green, just doesn't really show at all in this photo.

I'll agree though that this pic, while depicting a green hat, seems to be a close approximation of the Glen Grey color.

This is kinda funny lol!

Neophyte

While reviewing some old threads, I actually did find Benny Holiday's pic of his Bluegrass Green stylemaster. When asked if it was close to an olive color, he responded by saying it was actually very close to this shade:

Resene_Lunar_Green.jpg

I'm thinking this is a nice lighter green color and should work very well on the Campdraft. I also think I will shape it similar to Univibe's AWESOME bash:

DSC_0038-1.jpg

What do you guys think?
It's feels great to know what I want now, but it's gonna be an arduous wait lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe