Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Duper

Practically Family
The Campdraft is a beautiful hat. I have the Bluegrass green and about 2 weeks back I ordered a customized mid-brown. I asked to have the brim trimmed to just over 2 1/2". Sorry about that gtdean! Now I have the 90 day wait, but seeing as it is hot and humid here it doesn't bother me too much. I'm enjoying all this Akubra talk lately. Now I have an urge for a Silverbelly. Perhaps if I get my order in soon enough I could get two hats shipped at the same time?!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Duper said:
The Campdraft is a beautiful hat. I have the Bluegrass green and about 2 weeks back I ordered a customized mid-brown. I asked to have the brim trimmed to just over 2 1/2". Sorry about that gtdean! Now I have the 90 day wait, but seeing as it is hot and humid here it doesn't bother me too much. I'm enjoying all this Akubra talk lately. Now I have an urge for a Silverbelly. Perhaps if I get my order in soon enough I could get two hats shipped at the same time?!

Good Lord, man! What have you done?

:( :eek: :kick:

No, in all seriousness, I might have gotten the bluegrass green had I not already had the illow green Squatter. I was thinking about trimming the Campdraft, as I don't really have an attachment to the Open Road style, but I'm gonna give it a trial month and keep it standard.

danofarlington

Duper said:
You being in Ontario, have you ever visited Biltmore in Guelph? This has nothing to do with the thread or the discussion, but having visited Guelph myself several time in the last few years, but only now finding out that Biltmore is there, makes me regret not knowing.

RBH

Bartender
Duper said:
Will it still have the bound edge???

Duper

Practically Family
RLK, yes, it is supposed to have the bound edge. I will be most disappointed if it doesn''t!:eek:

danofarlington, I have never visited the Biltmore Guelph factory. I must have driven past on the highway that is near Guelph 15 times in the last three years but it just never worked out time wise that the factory store would be open. My next trip past is the end of August and I will call ahead to see if they are accepting patrons during the posted hours, as the company is in a state of flux presently. I live about 6.5 hours from Guelph.

Neophyte

Duper said:
RLK, yes, it is supposed to have the bound edge. I will be most disappointed if it doesn''t!:eek:

danofarlington, I have never visited the Biltmore Guelph factory. I must have driven past on the highway that is near Guelph 15 times in the last three years but it just never worked out time wise that the factory store would be open. My next trip past is the end of August and I will call ahead to see if they are accepting patrons during the posted hours, as the company is in a state of flux presently. I live about 6.5 hours from Guelph.

I think RBH was asking if it would have a bound edge after you trim it? As in, will you have the new edge bound after having it trimmed?

Duper

Practically Family
Hi Neophyte, it is not me doing the trimming. I ordered it from EA with a smaller brim being done by the Akubra factory. Hopefully things will work as expected and I will post some pics in a few months.

RBH

Bartender
Duper said:
Hi Neophyte, it is not me doing the trimming. I ordered it from EA with a smaller brim being done by the Akubra factory. Hopefully things will work as expected and I will post some pics in a few months.

That will be too cool.. as I have found lately that I like a 2 1\2 brim the best!
And its bound!!! :D Dont get no better!
Good luck and please remember to post us some photos.

Neophyte

Duper said:

:eek:

.........They can do that?

Well, anyway, I hope you like it.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
Alright, now I'm happy.

campdraftfinal1.jpg

campdraftfinal5.jpg

campdraftfinal4.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Neophyte

Well, my Taupe Fawn CD is in limbo somewhere at USLAX, according to Australia Post's tracking system. It's been there all day...I wonder what going on? None of my other 3 hats took this long to get through...

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
Well, my Taupe Fawn CD is in limbo somewhere at USLAX, according to Australia Post's tracking system. It's been there all day...I wonder what going on? None of my other 3 hats took this long to get through...
Maybe they mistakenly shipped the "hemp" hat and Customs is determining the grade.

Neophyte

danofarlington said:
Maybe they mistakenly shipped the "hemp" hat and Customs is determining the grade.

lol

I looked up reviews of Australia Post's tracking system. Turns out I've been lucky most of the time, as Australia Post and EMS don't necessarily always keep up to date on their scans. A lot of people actually get their packages when it says that the item is still lodged with the company, waiting to be shipped out. Some describe the American post system as scan-happy, scanning anything with a barcode if it sits still long enough. The Australian post system is described by many reviewers to be more laid back.
I'm betting that the package is on its way here, as it is day 4 of the 3-4 day wait. If not, well I'll be a little disappointed, but it'll at least come the next day. :)

Neophyte

Well, speak of the Campdraft, it arrived just a few minutes ago! I knew that tracking system was off!

It's pretty huge. I'm a 59, this one's a 59.3, but the oval block has it sliding down to my ears! This one's either gonna need mucho sizing tape or an awesome teardrop bash to sit atop my head!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Cool! The same thing happened when I first put mine on, it slipped right down to my ears. Once I got it wet, shaped it, and let it dry, it fit perfectly.

Let's see some pics once you put a crease in it (and before you hack up the brim! ;) lol ).

Oh, and if you want my advice, don't get into a hot shower with it on; hot water leads to tapering. I just use a spray bottle filled with distilled water and get it just damp enough to do my business, i.e, wet but not dripping wet.

Neophyte

I'll take a cold shower then...wait...no.

This hat is absolutely MONSTROUS! I haven't been able to bash it a single way and reduce it's gargantuan profile...yet!

I will have some pics up of the open crown, and on top of my noggin. It's gonna take a while for me to figure out what crease to put in. I'm a fedora guy, not so much a western guy...I know I can do this, because I did it for my Squatter.

What common fedora bash do you guys recommend? I'm looking for casual, as I'll wear this with jeans and in many cases my weatherproof rain jacket. Oh, and the Taupe Fawn color with my Forest Green jacket: a match made in heaven!

Looking for a hot bulb!

Sizing Akubras

I haven't seen it in a long time but there used to be a set of directions on the web about sizing Akubras & the leather sweatband.

They showed how to wet the sweatband with water and then place the hat over a regular incandesent light bulb.

With the bulb on, the heat of the bulb would dry the sweat band and the leather would shrink. Hopefully shrink to fit.

I think there was some part about only doing sections of the sweat band not the whole thing at once but can't recall exactly.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Sizing Akubras

I haven't seen it in a long time but there used to be a set of directions on the web about sizing Akubras & the leather sweatband.

They showed how to wet the sweatband with water and then place the hat over a regular incandesent light bulb.

I doubt that's even necessary. Just use some sizing tape or felt underneath the sweatband if it's still too big after you have it shaped the way you like it, and wear it outside a few times and get sweaty in it. It'll shrink up in no time.

I didn't even have to wear it a few times. It was huge on me when I put it on right out of the box, but once I got it wet one time and shaped it and let it dry, it was just right.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
What common fedora bash do you guys recommend? I'm looking for casual, as I'll wear this with jeans and in many cases my weatherproof rain jacket. Oh, and the Taupe Fawn color with my Forest Green jacket: a match made in heaven!

If you're trying to lower the profile, probably a teardrop or diamond bash would be the way to go. A center crease wouldn't do much to lower the height unless you make a deeper crease, but you might not like the bottom of the crease sitting on top of your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe