Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Tone

A-List Customer
James71 said:
As requested above, please find below a few side by side shots of a Glen Grey Campdraft bought a week ago and a Silverbelly Campdraft bought last Saturday.

The Grey started as a diamond bash that I eventually changed to a teardrop. The Silverbelly has a simple centre dent and pinch.

You will note the height the disparity between the two styles, particularly in the rear shot. I also gave the front of the Silverbelly's brim a bit more downward sweep. The hats are otherwise identical.

If anyone is interested in these or other Akubras, I can also do comparison shots between these and the following :- Bogart, Cattleman, CEO, Arena and Coober Pedy.

Compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

compare3.jpg

Not too many "on-the-head" pics of the Campdraft lately. Lots of nice table shots though.

James71. As you have quite a few in-hand Akubras of varying models, which one are you favoring most at the moment? And which one still "needs more fiddling?" Have you got a favorite among the bunch?

Nikx

New in Town
So I suppose I just lucked into this as my First hat thanks to a very generous member here!

It looks like a beauty and I can't wait to see how it looks on my head :)

I really like the way James71 has the bash, maybe I will try something like that.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nikx said:
So I suppose I just lucked into this as my First hat thanks to a very generous member here!

I really like the way James71 has the bash, maybe I will try something like that.

You lucky b****rd lol . That is one of the most generous offers I've seen in my somewhat brief time as a member of the Lounge. It's a great score, and I'm sure you'll love it. I'm also glad that we'll soon have another inductee into the Akubra Legion. Be sure to post in the Overload thread as well, and go join the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon. You'll find that, with the Campdraft, you'll have gained access to many little sub-communities within the Lounge.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Nikx said:

Congrats on that Nikx! That's an awesome offer. We'll all be looking forward to the pics!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Got my Camp Draft in the mail today! I got took a spray bottle of distilled water and got to shaping. It's still noticeably wet in these pictures.

campdraftside.jpg

campdraftfront.jpg

campdraftnoggin.jpg

Neophyte

RBH said:
3741015074_cab9f96fa5.jpg

Damn, :eusa_clap that looks great on you!
Nice crease, cant wait till you try a diamond!!!!

You know what, screw it. This guy pulled off the Taupe Fawn amazingly well, and with this pic I have confidence that Taupe Fawn is the best color to go with for my very first Campdraft!

Has anyone here cut down the brim a tad on their CD? The results of my Squatter modification were so good, I thought I might try it with the CD if the brim was too wide for me.

Neophyte said:
Has anyone here cut down the brim a tad on their CD? The results of my Squatter modification were so good, I thought I might try it with the CD if the brim was too wide for me.
DO NOT touch the brim of a Campdraft. Its crown is a lot different than a Squatter & the brim is PERFECT width for it with that subtle binding. You'll see. This Open Road style hasn't survived for decades for no good reasons....

Neophyte

:eek: :( :cry:

Don't worry, I'll give it a chance.

After all, I had the Squatter for about a month before I decided it's brim was too wide.
I figured as well that the Campdraft's crown would be much bigger than the Squatter, and therefore look more in proportion. I am mostly looking at the Campdraft because the massive crown ought to give my a ton of leeway when styling my hat, unlike the Squatter.

The only thing I'm worried about is the size of the brim, as I have somewhat narrow shouders.

lol I figured mentioning any kind of tampering with the CD would get result in :kick:

Neophyte

Did the tails of the bow come that short? I recall fromt the Campdraft thread that, at one time, the tails of the bow were much longer.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Thank you hatophile. I've since deepened the dents a little bit while keeping the pinch from being too sharp. A hand-creased hat is always a work in progress. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82